Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2005 12:23:14 PM EDT
My brother is cop w/ DC Metropolitan Police, and for his birthday I have ordered a Milt Sparks VMII holster for a Glock 26 he is getting for his off-duty gun as well as a Milt Sparks S-4 mag pouch.   I've been very happy with my VM II holster for my 1911 so I'm thinking he'd like the holster for the Glock.

However, does DCMPD have any specific requirements of a holster for off-duty carry, such as a thumb break?  Seems rather senseless to require a thumb break on a CC holster, but then, considering the only guns he is authorized to carry, on or off-duty are Glock 17, 19, and 26s--all 9mms and he can not carry a backup--DCMPD is not lacking in fatuous regulations.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
couple 0of friends of mine are DC metro.Ill try an inquire.........
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you much.

Glenn
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
still waiting for info on DC not that it helps much.......but MSP DO have such a requirement....my agency doesnt (lucky if some guys use a holster at all)
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you much.  Personally, I wouldn't be thrilled of the idea for a thumb break concealed carry holster.  I think I'd be more worried about the remote chance of the thumb break strap getting inside the trigger guard than I would be about the possibility of the gun falling out.  

Besides, it's not like the criminals teach each other in prison how to disarm a cop and defeat holster retention systems.  After all, criminals are really just good people that had a single stroke (or two) or bad luck and recidivism is urban legend and stuff made up by conservatives.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I would as him what his preference is.  I have a Blackhawk CQC carbon Fiber holster with the serpa retention system.  My dept requires off duty holsters to be able to retain the weapon under physical excersion.  Most guys have the fobus, some have the uncle mikes and some have the CQC.  Others have thumb breaks.  I would get him something thing that is closest to what his duty holster is.  If his duty holster has a thumb strap then get him an off duty that has a thumb strap.   Same type of drawing motion will help under stress, if needed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not sure of requirements, but two friends on MPD use the Galco Fletch model w/thumb break.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
When I left MPD in 2002, the general order prescribed that the holster could not be a paddle, but must have belt loops, and a retention strap.
Further, the holster had to be taken to the range staff to be inspected, recorded in thier ledger of approved equipment, then stamped on the thumbstrap "MPDC APPROVED".
I don't know if it has changed, but I seriously doubt it.

Did I carry my G17 in a Blade Tech paddle?  You betcha.  Did I eventually wise up and buy a Sparks Summer Special, and a Galco Royal Guard?  Damned straight!  The key being, the FRIGGIN GUN WAS CONCEALED!!!!!  Nobody saw it, and nobody was the wiser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top