Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 10:02:14 AM EDT
I've got a bad feeling he's gonna walk....

And how is he only charged with possession of a weapon, and not discharging a weapon?

June 15, 2009, 9:57 am
Burress Gun Case Adjourned Until September
By John Eligon
Plaxico BurressBarton Silverman/The New York Times Plaxico Burress shot himself in the thigh with an unlicensed gun in a Manhattan nightclub on Nov. 29. He was charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Updated, 1:37 p.m. | The weapons-possession case against the former New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress was adjourned on Monday until Sept. 23.

Prosecutors and Mr. Burress’s defense lawyers have not been able to reach a plea agreement, making it likely that the case will be presented to a grand jury sometime between now and September, Mr. Burress’s chief defense lawyer said.

Mr. Burress, 31, shot himself in the thigh with an unlicensed gun on Nov. 29 while in a Manhattan nightclub. He was charged with criminal possession of a weapon and faces a minimum of 3½ years in prison if convicted.

Mr. Burress, who made a brief appearance before Judge Felicia A. Mennin of Manhattan Criminal Court on Monday, has pleaded not guilty and is free on $100,000 bail.

Mr. Burress’s defense lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said that plea negotiations with the district attorney’s office had broken down and that if Mr. Burress is indicted, he will plead not guilty and the case will go to trial. But that would likely not happen until next year, allowing Mr. Burress to be available to play in the National Football League this coming season, although he would have to sign a new team.

“Given the present posture of this case, I do not see any reason why he should not be able to play this entire season,” Mr. Brafman said. “No one was injured in this case. The gun was lawfully registered. There’s no victim in this case besides Plaxico Burress.”

The gun was registered in Florida, but not in New York, which does not recognize out-of-state gun permits.

Mr. Burress caught the game-winning touchdown for the Giants in Super Bowl XLII last year. After the shooting, the team suspended him, and then released him on April 3.

An assistant district attorney, John P. Wolfstaetter, is leading the prosecution of the case.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

And how is he only charged with possession of a weapon, and not discharging a weapon?

If this were a free state then it would likely be called an "accident" and not a "criminal act" to merely possess a weapon and shoot himself in the leg. Just something to think about. I have no idea the details of this case so I may be missing a lot. Out of curiosity, what do you think his sentence should be, for not injuring anyone but his own dumb ass, with a weapon that the state hasn't given him the privilege to possess?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If they wanted they could have tons of charges on him. He is gonna get the star treatment no matter what bloombag says. Im not defending him but if he would have just had a proper holster all this would of never have happend but the fool wanted to go ganster style and carry a gun in his waistband. I see no jail time for him when all is said and done.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If this were a free state then it would likely be called an "accident" and not a "criminal act" to merely possess a weapon and shoot himself in the leg. Just something to think about. I have no idea the details of this case so I may be missing a lot. Out of curiosity, what do you think his sentence should be, for not injuring anyone but his own dumb ass, with a weapon that the state hasn't given him the privilege to possess?

Here's a thought:
Why not have him do 'public service' for his offenses of being stupid in nys and sentence him to play the next 3 NFL seasons for the worst team (the previous year) in the league.
I would also do the same for Michael Vick as a condition of his probation.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a thought:
Why not have him do 'public service' for his offenses of being stupid in nys and sentence him to play the next 3 NFL seasons for the worst team (the previous year) in the league.

He already was on the worst team in the NFL for three years.

Sorry, couldn't resist that cheap shot at chapperjoe.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a thought:

would've won it again if that stupid f#ck would've been wearing a 26$ holster.

a freaking fobus is all that stood between us and a repeat.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

we all fight the good fight.............  legally.
break the law, suffer the consequences.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a thought:

would've won it again if that stupid f#ck would've been wearing a 26$ holster.

Sad, but true.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

that and a healthy dose of common sense..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
He shot himself because he was trying to recover the gun from falling out of his pants and onto the floor in view of everyone. In almost any other state except for maybe NJ, CA or NY he would have had a non resident CCW permit. If the gun had fallen onto the floor in a free state even if the police were called what would be the legal consequences? We would probably hear about it on TMZ and laugh but not much more than that. But in NY CCW without a permit and get caught, the result is at minimum getting booked, and having to pay a shit load for a lawyer to fight felony charges. Worst case senario is jail time.
Given the choice over letting your gun hit the deck and getting charged with unlicenced CCW versus taking the slight chance of an ND and trying to recover it while its falling, I don't really see the better of two evils.
Would anyone else in the same circumstances not try and recover the gun before it fell?
I hope this makes any sense.

ETA: If the guy was drunk or high then screw him and let him go to prison for a long time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top