Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 8:43:59 PM EDT
Here is the subject from a Gun Club Newsletter recently:
               Frozen Chosin Match--February 18th, 2006
Once again it is time for all gas gun shooters, new members, old members, and guests to join again for the third annual winter match in honor and memory of the Marines ordeal in the frozen mountains of North Korea, December 1950. Remember, this is our time to play dress-up, so go find all that moth-eaten gear that is appropriate to that time period, and show up at Noon on the 18th for another great time. It will make you appreciate our summer matches even more. New members are encouraged to participate so grab 50 rounds plus any practice ammo that you need and show up at the 100 yard range ready for a little challenge if the weather is a factor.
From what I could tell from the photos from last year's match, it looked like kind of even between the Garands and ar15's. Looks like around 21-22 shooters showed up last year also... I will check with the match director and find out if the gate will be open or will you have to be with a member as a guest if you are not a member of the gun club.

edited to add that the gate will be open and you do not have to be with a member to shoot...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
where?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
where?

Oakdale Gun Club in Lake Elmo, Mn...website is  www.oakdalegunclub.org
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I couldnt find anything about this shoot on their site.  Is this a shoot only or a contest of sorts?  I would be interested but still haven't shot my rifle anything over the 50 yard at Bills.  Is this a 100 yard off hand contest or bench shoot?  Irons or optics?  Just looking for some info, I would be interested in sending some rounds downrange.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:55:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Verrry interesting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Is playing dress up required?  Or just for fun?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I would think it is just a fun type of get together....from the photos on the newsletter it looks like open sights on everything that I could see in the picture....If anything comes up different will post it...There were some shooters there with jackets and jeans, so camo is not required, but you can if you want to...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I am pretty much In for sure, need to get some 70+ grain rounds and see if I can hit something at 100 yards.  My eyes arent so good but I will give it a shot.   Count me in!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:28:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think it'd be rather fun to go shooting AR-15's against M1s, but alas, I have no AR-15 at the present.

I just paid my health insurance today, and I'm SO HAPPY that today was the FIRST TIME I COULD ACTUALLY "AFFORD" MY INSURANCE!!!  

I may be able to get my rifle done sometime this February!!!  YAAAAY!  

what more do you need for it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think it'd be rather fun to go shooting AR-15's against M1s, but alas, I have no AR-15 at the present.

I just paid my health insurance today, and I'm SO HAPPY that today was the FIRST TIME I COULD ACTUALLY "AFFORD" MY INSURANCE!!!  

I may be able to get my rifle done sometime this February!!!  YAAAAY!  

what more do you need for it?

I think he needs a complete upper.  I'm sure any one of us would lend you one, Mat...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#12]
M,
To quote a good friend, "If you are not in debt, you sure must not be having any fun"

Quoted:
LoL!  I just need the Barrel Assembly, Bolt, Carrier, & Ch.Handle.  Edited:  It'll cost about $325 to finish it off, but I've got an A1 Upper already.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/bannie/Picture15.jpg

Then I'd be all over this match...  Heck, I think a shooting event that has no apparent entry fee for the event.  Just need to have a friend as a member there?

I've thought about a membership at OGC as well (since it IS now very close to where I work), but I don't know if I can afford it quite yet.  I'm still trying to get financially stable & out of debt first.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like the ultimate SBR Right now...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
oh sure... all the expensive parts.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I am an OGC member and I just wanted to share something: the man who pretty much single-handedly organzies and runs this event is an awesome guy. Knowledgable, very friendly, and exceedingly generous, not to mention a former (not "ex-") Marine.

I keep wanting to go to these shoots (they are held every month) but I never get around too it. That and I don't want to reveal to the world how much I suck. Of course, as the man who runs this has told me repeatedly, it's not about who wins, it's about getting together and having a great time with other shooters. The "Frozen Chosin" match is the only one where people dress up in military garb. There is (normally, at least) a fee, but it is ridiculously small (I think it's less than five dollars) just to cover expenses IIRC.

I think I might just show up with my M1A and complete Vietnam War re-enactor loadout.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I definately dont have the garb but I hope to see some of you there.  I actually live about 3 miles from Oakdale range and sent in my application for membership sometime in September.  Perhaps I will be a member this spring.  I took my carry class there and really like the facility.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#17]
here is the info I received from the man that runs the match:
10 rounds standing
10 rounds rapid fire, either kneeling or sitting with a mag or clip change
10 rounds rapid prone with a mag or clip change
20 rounds slow fire prone
50 rounds total with practice available before everyone shows up for sighting in purposes.
he wrote that it was a poor's man version of High Power or military qualification.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#18]
What are the equipment restrictions for this? I don't have a Garand and my AR is a 16" one with an EOTech...not exactly vintage Marine Corps material. ;)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What are the equipment restrictions for this? I don't have a Garand and my AR is a 16" one with an EOTech...not exactly vintage Marine Corps material. ;)

from what I can see in the photos from last year, all of the rifles were either Garands, ar15's, or M1A's. M1 carbines are no doubt allowed also. open sights required. Gas operated rifles only no bolts...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top