Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 1:54:43 PM EDT
I went out to McMillers yesterday. Until yesterday, i only had 50 rounds thru my AR. I took 360 rounds of Wolf .223 and I had 10 - 12 FTE's. I feel it was due to the ammo. I have 80 rounds of Remington that I want to try. Is anybody willing to get me into a range closer than McMillers sometime this week to let me shoot off a few rounds to test my theory?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
hmm
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I highly doubt it was due to the ammo.  Check the ammo or troubleshooting forums.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked a couple of the casings and it felt like there were some raised "bumps" on the casing. The bolt closed on a few of them, and when I grabbed the charging handle, the bolt would not open. I had to put a cleaning rod down the barrel to free them up. i am at the point of wondering if it is the ammo or the gun not being broken in, if that is possible.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Since wolf has steel cases they dont expand to the chamber as much as brass and you get some stuff between the steel case and the chamber walls. The stuff you feel on the spent casings may be some carbon from that. Check your chamber and be sure its good and clean before you shoot brass cased stuff. The carbon on the chamber chamber can sometimes hold brass in and get them stuck causing extraction issues.

It could also just be an iffy lot of wolf. Since your in the oak creek milwaukee area, if you want to trade a couple boxes of wolf to see if its just a bad lot let me know.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
Since wolf has steel cases they dont expand to the chamber as much as brass and you get some stuff between the steel case and the chamber walls. The stuff you feel on the spent casings may be some carbon from that. Check your chamber and be sure its good and clean before you shoot brass cased stuff. The carbon on the chamber chamber can sometimes hold brass in and get them stuck causing extraction issues.

It could also just be an iffy lot of wolf. Since your in the oak creek milwaukee area, if you want to trade a couple boxes of wolf to see if its just a bad lot let me know.

Thanks for the offer, but I left all the wolf I had at McMillers in the berm. I have 80 rounds of Remington UMC brass I am going to run through it tomorrow. Until Saturday I only had 50 rounds of badgers range ammo (brass casings) through it and it worked without an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top