Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 8/4/2005 4:19:00 PM EDT
I have parts on the way for a yugo underfolder and an hk 91. Who are the local pros on these? (I want to do it myself, but will need LOTS of info along the way) I've skimmed the ak section, but if there is someone local that wants to talk guns for the evening I would buy the beer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm the 80% AR lower guy.  No help on what you are looking to assemble.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Still good to know, are you near columbus? Always up for more knowledge! I've read allot about %80 lowers but don't have the tools for all the machine work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like there was a group of guys wanting to do a build party.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good, but I still need compliance parts. I'd love to do a flat but don't have the tools.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#5]
There was an AK build party in Cinci last month. I think you will find there are a lot of home builders in the buckeye state.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Try thsi place for the 80% yugo blank: www.coldsteelsolutionsincorporated.com/coldsteelsolutions,_inc.htm

Maybe you might end up with this in the end:

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Still good to know, are you near columbus? Always up for more knowledge! I've read allot about %80 lowers but don't have the tools for all the machine work.

I'm in a SW burb of Cleveland.

I have the 80% lower jig, tooling, and machinery to get it done.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#8]
The first thing you need to know is DO NOT GET YOUR RIVETS FROM TAPCO!!!!!!!!

Thier rivets are TOTAL GARBAGE.  Get your rivets from Global or K-VAR.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#9]
We had an AK build party at my house a few weeks ago. It was alot of fun and we ended up completing 3 rifles, but also got alot of flats bent and other work done.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#10]
So do you guys think the flats are the ticket?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes I like building on the Tapco flats. What part of Ohio are you located? I'm in Eastern OH...near St Clairsville.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Tom,
I am in for the next build party for sure. I was sorry to miss the last one. I know you said I could come at any time and I am thinking of taking you up on your offer providing we can both get a free saturday. Its only a couple hour drive for me and I am trying to get my kits ready to just be assembled. I am having a heck of a time removing these rivets with my POS drill press.

You guys only got 3 rifles completed ? You got any rivets or flats extra ? I don't have any receivers yet and I don't have a flat build yet. I was just thinking.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
just east of columbus. Not a hard drive to st.c-ville. I'm going to begin colecting parts and will post when I'm ready.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Tom,
I am in for the next build party for sure. I was sorry to miss the last one. I know you said I could come at any time and I am thinking of taking you up on your offer providing we can both get a free saturday. Its only a couple hour drive for me and I am trying to get my kits ready to just be assembled. I am having a heck of a time removing these rivets with my POS drill press.

You guys only got 3 rifles completed ? You got any rivets or flats extra ? I don't have any receivers yet and I don't have a flat build yet. I was just thinking.

Yes we only completed 3 rifles but with so many guys all working from one press I thought we did good. We pressed out alot of barrels and bent alot of flats.

I have plenty of rivets but no extra flats, they are easy to come by though and only cost about $12 or so. You'll need a center support as well. The Tapco rivets suck, but the Tapco center support can be tapped for button head scews and is the easiest and cheapest route for a center support.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Pudwak, where bouts east of columbus....i live in hebron

i too have a M70 yugo to build, mines a fixed stock...i cant wait to build it and shoot it. its in excelent condition and looks like it was hardly fired at all
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Canal Winchester. Mine looks pretty good but the bore is skanky (Not that it matters much). I need to get rivets, center support and reciever to finish this project (and I'm sure a few other parts I forgot about) I'll be up for the next party soon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#17]
the best receiver that i can think of to use for the yugo will be the one from DCI.....very nice....only $70 for it and its 100% and for no charge he will put the serial number of your gun on it.....and the numbering and such will be on the botton....if u want the info for it IM me
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I believe an AK build is a little simpler than an HK91 build.  AKs are more forgiving in tolerances, while HK's must have their barrels pressed in within .2mm, I think... and that requires very specific jigs and presses, as well as welds.

I'm certainly no pro, just being a parrott and repeating what I have heard.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I already habe the info on that reciever (the one that you can't buy yet?). I'm trying to do the m70 first, so I can focus on the hk build completely. I know some one that does very nice welding but he may not be able to do it (at work). Any one here welded an hk before and be willing to help me out? I would do it myself but I have no welding experience and I'm sure this is not the project to learn on. (on a side note, can you weld the front trunnion in on the m70 with the thicker trunnion and reciever?)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#20]
i wouldnt weld it....i would do it right and do rivits....the M70s like what u and i have are for the most part rare.....most that came in were junk and if u have a nice one like i have then its best to do it like they were and then they will have colector value to them

here are some pics of my parts.....and i also bought 4 of the yugo mags for it too....so its for the most part complete.....

http://bryan666999.onestop.net/bore1.jpg

http://bryan666999.onestop.net/barrel2.jpg

http://bryan666999.onestop.net/sight.jpg

i redid the wood easily.....i took brake clean to the wood to get rid of the cosmo thats deep down....then i applied linseed oil to it and this is what it looks like now.....

http://bryan666999.onestop.net/wood.jpg
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#21]
OOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twins (Paternal since mine an underfolder) Thats how the bore on mine looks too.  Have you ordered your reciever yet?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#22]
here very soon i will

im gettin mine from DCI

$70 and he will also put the guns serial number on it for free!!

he will have them ready to ship within a week or so.....i need to get that cash together!!!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top