Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2003 5:09:24 AM EDT
Gwinnett finally posted a job opening for firefighters. I've wanted to apply for that job for a year. I applied today finally. I've wanted to be a fireman for awhile. Hopefully I'll get the job. Wish me luck.....A
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:22:47 AM EDT
Good luck with it!
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:24:13 AM EDT
Thanks reject. I appreciate the support.

Andy
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:47:51 AM EDT
Good luck!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:24:13 AM EDT
Good luck Andy!
We are pullin' for ya.

ARH
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:27:46 AM EDT
If you get the job, maybe we could start little fires in my backyard for you.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:02:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:
If you get the job, maybe we could start little fires in my backyard for you.

LOL.....Sounds fun. Thanks guys for you're support!!

Andy
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:44:42 AM EDT
OK, I wont post anything about large hoses and penis envy. Honestly, don't tempt me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:52:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By P806:
OK, I wont post anything about large hoses and penis envy. Honestly, don't tempt me.

Admit it. You enjoy sliding down the pole.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:01:32 AM EDT
Good luck man. Start stocking up on your practical joke ideas. You're gonna need them.

E-95
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:34:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2003 10:36:51 AM EDT by w30olds]

Originally Posted By E-95:
Good luck man. Start stocking up on your practical joke ideas. You're gonna need them.

E-95

Hey E-95. How do you like being a fireman? I've always wanted a job as a fireman. Not sure if I'm nuts, or just want to be part of a team. Just to know that no matter where you go you're still among fellow firefighters. Just an awesome feeling to me. You are in Tennessee correct? Got any advice for another wanna be fireman? Any advice for the dreaded oral board. Yeah, I said oral.....Be safe out there.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 1:11:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By w30olds:
Any advice for the dreaded oral board.

Drop the jaw, relax the throat, and don't forget to cup the balls.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 3:15:18 PM EDT
OMG!
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:03:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2003 9:05:15 PM EDT by E-95]
w30olds,

Been a firefighter for about 8 years now and still love it. Some days are not any fun though. Remember that those guys depend on you for their lives. I think that's what binds us together and makes it a brotherhood. I've walked into stations all over the US and as soon as they found out I'm a firefighter they've made me completely at home.
The most important thing to remember is that you're never done learning about what can hurt you and your company.
As far as the oral boards, ignore what the_reject said. You only cup the balls if he's a Chief officer.
Be safe and good luck. Drop me a note if you've got any questions or you ever make it up Memphis way.

E-95

P.S. I hope you've got a thick skin. If a fellow firefighter ever finds out what gets under it he'll never let it go. Comes with the territory.

Edited for atrocious spelling.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 5:11:32 AM EDT
"Only cup the balls of the chief". I'll keep this in mind when I buy a set of knee pads..LOL
Thanks guys....

Andy
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:09:44 AM EDT
Got accepted into the first of the hiring phase.
Went home to find a nice letter from Gwinnett County to go take the exam for GCFD in September. I'm getting excited. Wait a minute, why am I wanting to go into burning buildings when others are running out of them? Maybe I've lost my mind.......
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:35:44 AM EDT
Congrats!

Does this mean I can start setting little fires and have you practice putting them out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:06:59 PM EDT

Went home to find a nice letter from Gwinnett County to go take the exam for GCFD in September. I'm getting excited. Wait a minute, why am I wanting to go into burning buildings when others are running out of them? Maybe I've lost my mind.......

Congratulations! Don't worry, if you were sane you'd never want to do this job! I mean who would want to regularly work in an environment where the temperature inside your turnouts can get above 140° and you're probably carrying more than 120 lbs. of equipment.
But you're probably like me. The kid that loves the big red truck with lights and siren is still alive and kicking in me. Good luck and stay safe!

E-95
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:12:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/27/2003 6:17:00 AM EDT by w30olds]

Originally Posted By E-95:

Congratulations! Don't worry, if you were sane you'd never want to do this job! I mean who would want to regularly work in an environment where the temperature inside your turnouts can get above 140° and you're probably carrying more than 120 lbs. of equipment.
But you're probably like me. The kid that loves the big red truck with lights and siren is still alive and kicking in me. Good luck and stay safe!

E-95

Hey E-95!

I use to watch the show "Emergency" when I was a kid. Me and my brother would watch it religiously. We got the playsets for our birthdays from my parents. Had the mask, belts, and an axe. We use to build cardboard buildings, houses, and take the garden hose and practice putting out the "3 alarm" blazes. Our red wagon was the fire truck. Of course no real fire was used in the events. Folks would have kicked our asses for using matches. Even as a young pup I liked the sirens and lights like you.

Hopefully I'll pass the written and move forward with my obsession to become the real thing soon.

Stay safe out there.

Andy
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:27:54 AM EDT
w30olds, are you an EMT-I or EMT-P? I heard most medics going into Gwinnett get thrown on the box (ambulance).

Good Luck

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:59:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ghost-Shooter:
w30olds, are you an EMT-I or EMT-P? I heard most medics going into Gwinnett get thrown on the box (ambulance).

Good Luck

Ghost

Hey Ghost:

Not either one yet. The position is for entry level firefighter. They teach you the EMT basic in school. Eventually I'd like to get my paramedic certification though. This could help out later if I decided to transfer to another Fire Dept.

Take care,
Andy
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:15:11 AM EDT
I passed the written test last Friday. Had to fill out a mountain of paperwork after it was over. Got to go meet a few of the instructors of the fire school. Now waiting on a background check to clear. That determins if you go any farther in the hiring process. Then you have to take a physical performance test, go through the interview process. If you're excepted at this point you go to the fire college. Just waiting on the results of the BG check now. I'm starting to get nervious now. Not about the BG, but about the whole thing. Ohh the waiting is the hardest part.

Andy
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:18:47 AM EDT
Congrats on passing the written test. I know all about waiting. I'm not a very patient person.

Hope all goes well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:55:23 AM EDT
Thanks Bookhound. I've been told that waiting can drive a person insane. While I'm not insane it will drive you mad. When you guys going to CE again? It's always when I got to work. Argh. I'd like to come out and meet you guys sometime.

Andy
Top Top