Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/26/2004 7:29:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/26/2004 7:38:46 PM EST by Scollins]
IGunrunner wanted some details on the process to obtain an OR CHL, so I told him I would post it here for everyone.

I first contacted the Multnomah County Sheriff via email and asked about the process. He forwarded my message to his staff for reply. Here is the process they outlined for me.

1.) Stop by the Sheriff's office to obtain an application form and instructions. There are additional instructions for WA residents. (I actually got the really nice lady to mail me the forms, but she said that is usually not done.) The Sheriff's office is located at 12240 NE Glisan in Portland. The office is really easy to find. Take I-205 south from I-5 to the Glisan exit. I think the exit number is 22, but I'm not positive about that. Head East on Glisan, and the Sheriff's office is about 4 miles down the road on the right, can't miss it.

2.) Fill out the application, including two references. Neither of my references were contacted as far as I know.

3.) Provide proof of handgun competency. This can be an NRA course or similar training. Hunter safety does NOT qualify. The Sheriff's office offers a class on Wednesday nights for $20, no appointment needed. Decent class, with good info about local OR laws.

4.) Obtain a letter from the Washington State Department of Mental Health saying you are not a known mental patient (read whack-job.) The address to send the request to is listed on the application. I'm in Spokane right now, so I can't look at my copy.

5.) Supply a letter explaining why you want an OR CHL. I doubt "Because I want one" or "For all lawful purposes" will fly. My business brings me to Portland 3 times a month or so, so I used that. Have a good reason and you should be fine. They are not "shall issue" to out of state, so don't be an ass trying to prove you are entitled to the license.

6.) Once you have all this information together, call the Handgun License Unit and schedule an appointment. They only take new applications on Tuesdays, and by appointment only. They book up about 2 or 3 weeks in advance, so if you have all your stuff together, or expect to in a week or so, call right away!

When your appointment time comes up, they will take your application and the extra documents needed for WA residents. I had to remind the lady to take my documents, so be on the ball. They will also collect $65 from you at this time (non-refundable.) Once they have all your paperwork, they will take you back for fingerprinting. It is electronic, so no messy ink stains on the fingers. They will also take a digital picture at this time.

Since I was first up at my appointment time (they schedule 6 to 8 per slot) it took only 5 minutes for them to collect everything and send me on my way. The last guy would be waiting around for up to 40 minutes. The order is based on when you made your appointment.

That's it, and now it is just a waiting game. You will be given a receipt that has an "issue by" date. I assume that they would tell you by that date if you weren't getting the license. My appointment was June 15th, and I had the license on 7/23. My "issue by" date was 7/29. So I assume they allow 6 weeks to issue.

The Sheriff's Office has a website with information on it:
www.co.multnomah.or.us/sheriff/chlunit.htm

I'm not sure when I'll be back in Portland, but I will stop by the Sheriff's office and pick up some copies of the application. Or if anyone else finds themselves down there, they should grab a couple (or one and make photo copies.) I might have kept a blank original, but I'm not sure.

I've also got some Florida CWP applications. The FL permit can be obtained 100% via mail (you don't have to go to Florida to get it.) I think I have 4 or 5 left, maybe more. I won't know for sure until I get home next Monday. It includes all the instructions necessary, as well as the fingerprint card. You need to get the fingerprint card filled out at your local PD ($10?) and send them a boat load of cash. I think it is $75 for the permit, with an additional $42 for fingerprint processing. I've heard that some people have to re-submit fingerprint cards, so it sounds like some of the people processing the applications may be dickheads.

I know that sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through, but it really isn't too bad. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 11:26:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 11:54:26 AM EST
I just may have to give this a shot....
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 1:42:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:50:34 AM EST
How did this go? Do you now have your Oregon CPL?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:16:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By RobbWolfe:
How did this go? Do you now have your Oregon CPL?

Yes I do. Here is a post I made shortly afterwards: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=36&t=182307
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:16:46 PM EST
Thanks Scott.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:10:13 PM EST
Its really worth doing if you ever plan on going to Portland..... I'm glad I got mine..

-Jason
Top Top