Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/1/2006 9:54:32 AM EDT
. . . were outside right after midnight firing their rifles? I haven’t heard that much gunfire since I was last in the middle east, or on a Friday night in Richmond, VA! When I lived in rural Texas I would joke about people firing their rifles on new years/4th of July, but I never expected to actually hear it.

I live just on the edge of Sherwood in Pulaski county in a new subdivision. The lots are around 70’x140’. So the clock struck midnight, the wife and I kiss, and we hear a string of 5-10 rifle shots in rapid succession in what sounds like our neighbors back yard. About a minute later there are 5-10 more. Damn it! We get dressed, and I go into our front yard to see if I can determine where the fire is coming from before I call the cops. I’m outside no more than a minute when my neighbor two doors down comes out. I figure that he is curious about all the gunfire also. Then I see something in his hands, and hear him pull the bolt back and let it fly forward to chamber a round. SH!T! Then he points his rifle in the air and empties the mag. I yell at him to, “Hey! How about not doing that in your front yard!” Then I go in and call the cops.

I’ve only lived in AR for 8 months. Is this normal? Will the cops actually do anything about it? Or will they think I’m some carpet-bagger from NJ that should just mind his own business? I called the cops on Christmas day when someone down the street decided to have target practice in their back yard (for about a half hour). The 911 operator could hear the gunfire while I was talking to them. I can understand if you have an acre or more of land, but this a$$’s front door is about 140’ from mine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:06:25 AM EDT
Yep pretty normal. I live on the outskirts of
Jacksonville and it sounded like a war zone
for about 15 minutes after midnight.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:01:15 PM EDT
I live in west rock and heard some here. Crazy stuff. Locals, I'm shocked, ya'll two need to post in the HTF more. We need to get this sumbitch up, I'm gonna have a get together soon.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 7:18:11 AM EDT by Dennese]
I was out of town for New Years in Jackson, MS and there were a ton of gunfire there too.
Do not get your panties in a wad, it is common all over.

Even the Peoples Democratic Republic of California when I was stationed there between
San Jose and San Franscisco this stuff happens. You know how enlightened folks from
California are.

I only wish folks had enough sense to shoot into the ground and not into the air.
All those bullets have to come down somewhere.

But if it upsets you too much I hope you can sell your house soon and move back to
New Jersery before the 4th of July.

All us poor dumb southern hicks know that no one in New Jersery would ever shoot a
gun on the 4th or New Years. Heck I didn't know anyone in New Jersery had a gun.

911 is for real emergency calls, the police are undermanned, underpaid and over worked
to have to handle calls like yours.

My advice is to either get over it or Go Home Yankee, move back to New Jersery please.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:22:14 PM EDT
All I heard were fireworks in Conway last night. I'd call the cops on dumbasses opening fire in city limits too. I'd especially call the cops if my neighbor stepped out of his front door and started popping off rounds. Out in the rural areas in one thing, but that's not safe in any urban area.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:30:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dennese:
My advice is to either get over it or Go Home Yankee, move back to New Jersery please.

Reading is fundamental. I didn’t say I was from NJ or a yankee. I’m from VA. How many Yankees do you know that even know what a “carpetbagger” is?

Or will they think I’m some carpet-bagger from NJ that should just mind his own business?

Look, I don’t care if someone wants to fire their weapons on their property as long as they are being safe and their rounds land in their property. Can you really defend someone firing a weapon into the air in the middle of a subdivision? How many basic tenants of gun safety does that violate? I’m not saying that it doesn’t happen, but I’ve never heard “celebratory fire” in VA, TX, or even NJ on New Years day. BTW – I would call my neighbor doing the shooting more “urban contemporary” than “hick”.

So, do the cops around here take this seriously?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:02:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2006 6:30:28 PM EDT by Dennese]
"Or will they think I’m some carpet-bagger from NJ"

Well that's what I thought.

Just for fun, please don't take it so personal.

But anyway the shooting thing happens a lot in the cities, towns
and country on New Years, 4th and for some Christmas too. I
agree they should not be shooting in the air.

Unless you are going to go down to the station and file charges
not much will be done.

Most of the towns and cities around Little Rock the fireworks
alone are illegal. Each one has illegal to discharge within the
city limits too.

But just stop and think how many thousands of calls the police
would have to try and answer if they had to respond to everyone
of the the fireworks and firearms calls at midnight on New Years
in the Little Rock Metro area.

So to answer your question, no they will not take it to seriously,
unless you go down and file charges. "You will be starting a war
with your neighbor." How long do you plan on living there?

Someday talk to your neighbor, I bet you can convince him to
be safer next time. You are right, some place those bullets shot
into the air have to come down. More than one person has been
killed by them.

Suggest next time he use his backyard and shoot into a pile of
sandbags into the ground. Heck go over help him set it up and
shoot with him.

Another idea find out what caliber his rifle is and give him
blanks for Christmas, suggest he use them instead of loaded
ammo.

It is up to you which way you want to go with it, your right but
looks like you have to live where your at for a while. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:09:35 AM EDT
Spaatz,

I have lived in arkansas all my life. I have on several occasions in different towns and cities that I was in on different years during new years, have heard or seen people popping off rounds into the air on numerous occasions. Some of them were my own relatives!

Even though I dont care to do it myself, I have friends that still do it as a tradition.

Dangerous and Careless to some point.....Yes! But unless you live in downtown little rock right by the police station, dont expect any law enforcement to step in to help stop the them from doing it.

I think the police kind of treat it like fireworks, there illegal in the city of little rock but unless the cops catch you red handed with the goods there not going to do anything.

my2cents

m4geek
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:06:45 PM EDT
I had my scanner on from about 7:00 to 10:00 and
Jacksonville PD had about 6 or 7 calls for shots fired.
They were responding and trying pretty hard to catch
the shooters. From what I could gather they did arrest
at least two.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:47:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By m4geek:
Spaatz,

I have lived in arkansas all my life. I have on several occasions in different towns and cities that I was in on different years during new years, have heard or seen people popping off rounds into the air on numerous occasions. Some of them were my own relatives!

Even though I dont care to do it myself, I have friends that still do it as a tradition.

Dangerous and Careless to some point.....Yes! But unless you live in downtown little rock right by the police station, dont expect any law enforcement to step in to help stop the them from doing it.

I think the police kind of treat it like fireworks, there illegal in the city of little rock but unless the cops catch you red handed with the goods there not going to do anything.

my2cents

m4geek

I bet I'm not the only one to hunt in the woods behind my old house though Actually, this might get me flamed, but if you'll research it, Carlos Hathcock grew up not far from our old 'hood and hunted in the woods behind my old house.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:01:22 AM EDT
Dusty,

Thats the same information that I have read.

If I remember correctly, he lived somewhere off baseline road.

My grandfather apparently new him well back in the hay day, he also lives on baseline for the last 50+ years.

m4geek
Top Top