User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 9:06:00 AM EDT
www.kirotv.com/money/16463952/detail.html

Biofuel Sends Cost Of Beer Rising
David Quinlan
KIRO 7 Eyewitness News Consumer Reporter

POSTED: 2:29 pm PDT June 2, 2008
UPDATED: 2:34 pm PDT June 2, 2008

SEATTLE -- First it was gas prices. Then groceries. Now, the price of beer is soaring.

Consumer Investigator David Quinlan says that spells trouble for some of the 80-plus micro-breweries in Washington state.

Not too far off the main drag in Anacortes, on the corner of Fourth and Commercial, Allen Rhoades serves up his award winning I.P.A.

"This is what a good pilsner looks like," Rhoades says. "We're charging $4.50 a pint here."

At least for now. But Rockfish Grill and other Washington brew-pubs are hurting.

"I have never seen anything like it," Rhoades says.

A worldwide shortage of malted barley and hops -- beer's main flavor ingredients -- has small brewers worldwide struggling to stay afloat.

Arlen Harris with the Washington Beer Commission says farmers are now growing more corn than hops and barley because of the recent demand for ethanol as a fuel additive.

"The beer prices are going up," Harris says.

And then there was the 2006 hop fire in Yakima, where four percent of the nation's total hop yield was destroyed.

"It hits us all in the pocketbook, and we pass it on to the consumer," Harris says.

And it shows. Beer prices nationally have risen as much as a dollar in some stores.

At Baron Brewing in Seattle, "Our prices have gone up 70 percent in a year," said Jeff Smiley.

Smiley struggles to brew his 2,000 barrels of German beer each year.

Quinlan: "How do you stay in business?"
Smiley: "It's not easy. It's becoming harder all the time."

Smiley used to pay $5 a pound for hops. Now, he's paying anywhere from $20 to $40 a pound.

Quinlan: "So how valuable is this stuff? You're not going to believe this, but you're looking at $30,000 worth of hops here. That's enough to buy a luxury car."

And while serious beer drinkers may not mind the extra cost -- "Compared to gas prices! no comparison!" says one customer -- brew masters are forced to tweak their recipes and experiment more.

Rhoades: "We can overcome it, change the beers we make, put in the ingredients besides hops."

The Washington Beer Commission says the shortage will eventually pass. In Yakima, farmers have already planted 7,500 new acres of hops.

But it could be at least a year before beer prices start to drop off.

It crosses the line when they start f-ing with the beer!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to yesterday!

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#2]
He's alive!

Well, I have noticed that the price of my Moose Drool has risen ... that bites.  Guess I'll have to start brewing my own again.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy carp this could be worse than Y2k!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Indeed
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+106
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed

What do you care you don't drink beer anyway.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed

Oh christ... here we go again...  Yes, AND I'm from C A L I F O R N I A too ....

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed

Oh christ... here we go again...  Yes, AND I'm from C A L I F O R N I A too ....

California is ok by me, but drinking Coors lite is not!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed

California is ok by me, but drinking Coors lite is not!

Well then Dino.. I don't know what to tell ya'...  I am who I am.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]
dont worry, ethanol will be gone in five years, once the sheeple realize how much of a difference it is making in the price of food, that it pollutes more than straight gasoline from the pollution involved in making it, gas milage is worse, it causes a lot more damage to engine components it'll go away. hooray for beer!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
How come no one bitches about big agriculture? Those motherfuckers are the ones on the take from the Government who has created an artificial demand for their product Gee, I wonder why the farmers pushed hard for corn ethanol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top