Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/4/2003 2:03:58 AM EST
Hi everyone, I'm a MD resident. Anyway, M4 recently found me posting in another AR 15 forum and he asked my why I don't post in the MD area. Well, I don't have much to say - so I don't generally, post here. But here's my opportunity to post something here so here goes.

I just posted three pre-ban rifles (2 Mini 14s and 1 9mm camp carbine) for sale in the EE forum. I priced them at the same levels as most people ask for post bans. I want to sell them to MD residents direct if possible. So check them out if you are interested.

I hope this post doesn't break any of the rules regarding sales. That's why I'm not including any prices here. If it does, please let me know and I will delete this post. I just want these guns to stay in MD if possible.

Thanks, and have a GREAT July 4 holiday!


Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:07:46 PM EST
Glad to see you checking in!

We need all the Brother In Arms here in MD we can get!

Do you tihnk you can make the July 11th shoot?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:36:25 PM EST
Post them up over at the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:47:42 AM EST
Welcome - by all means post your wares for sell at the Trading Post section at the Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site.

BTW I've got a Ruger Stainless .357 (a security six) for sale to a MD resident.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:39:00 PM EST
Yeah, so what's the deal with in-state transfers? The cost and who does it go through?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:50:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By BBQMAN:
Yeah, so what's the deal with in-state transfers? The cost and who does it go through?

I'm pretty sure you have to go through a FFL for both long rifles and pistols.

I think I will be keeping an eye out for future VA/PA gun shows for my face to face purchases
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:33:45 AM EST

I found this in the MD code:
ARTICLE 27 CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS : REGULATED FIREARMS : § 442. Sale or transfer of regulated firearms.

(d) Sale by other than regulated firearms dealer.-
(1) A person who is not a regulated firearms dealer may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase any regulated firearm until after 7 days shall have elapsed from the time an application to purchase or transfer shall have been executed by the prospective purchaser or transferee, in triplicate, and the original copy is forwarded by a regulated firearms dealer to the Secretary.
(2) As an alternative to completing a secondary sale of a regulated firearm through a regulated firearms dealer, the prospective seller or transferor and the prospective purchaser or transferee may complete the transaction through a designated law enforcement agency.

(3) A person who makes an application to purchase, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm by secondary sale shall pay a processing fee not to exceed $20 to the regulated firearms dealer.
(e) Disposition of copies of application.- The regulated firearms dealer or designated law enforcement agency shall promptly after receiving an application to purchase, rent, or transfer, completed in accordance with subsection (h) below, forward one copy of the same, by certified mail or by facsimile machine, to the Secretary. The copy forwarded to the Secretary shall contain the name, address, and signature of the prospective seller, lessor, or transferor. The prospective seller, lessor, or transferor shall retain one copy of the application for a period of not less than three years. The prospective purchaser, lessee, or transferee shall be entitled to the remaining copy of the application.
(f) Application fee.-
(1) A person who makes an application to purchase, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm shall pay to the regulated firearms dealer or designated law enforcement agency a $10 application fee with the application to purchase, rent, or transfer.

Section 441 states (in part)
r) Regulated firearm.- "Regulated firearm" means:
(1) Any handgun as defined in this section; or
(2) Any assault weapon as defined in this section.

This seems to leave out rifles/shotguns. I can't guarantee it's not covered somewhere else, though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:01:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
[I'm pretty sure you have to go through a FFL for both long rifles and pistols.

Not exactly.

You have to go through a Dealer (FFL) or the State Police for a Controlled Weapon (i.e. a handgun or a rifle that is on Maryland's AW list).

I've done handgun transfers through the state police and its fairly painless.

AR-15s that are not stamped HBAR on the barrel are considered 'Assault Weapons'. Colts & Bushmasters with HBAR barrels therefore don't legally have to go through a dealer for an instate private sale. Shotguns & hunting rifles can be sold privately as well (I've done that several times).
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:05:56 PM EST
Thanks gang. I got a buyer for all three of them. Now I can order an AR 10
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:10:21 AM EST
Long guns that are not "Restricted firearms" can be sold in a private sale without paperwork.
The deal with the AR15's is tricky. The way the law is written is that if it does not say HBAR on the receiver it must go thru the State Police paperwork. I know of several dealers that have called the state police about this and the officer said they could sell any 20" heavy barreled AR the same as the HBAR, but will not faxor send anything to you on it.
kind of a catch-22.

As for handguns, you can go to the local state police barracks. Make sure both parties have their handgun safety course card with them and the transferee need their checkbook for the $10.00 state fee.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:15:48 AM EST

Your post on the in-state gun rules seems to be right on the money. One question.

If you sell a handgun in MD to another MD resident and go to the state police barracks to complete the paperwork - why does the seller need a safety course card? I understand why the buyer needs one - but for example, I have a couple of handguns I bought before the safety course law was in place so although I own these guns, I never took the course. Do I need to take the course just to sell a handgun in MD?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:16:22 AM EST
I'm going to retract the way I stated that.
You are correct.
I was thinking of the time I wanted to purchase a revolver from a guy that inherited it a few weeks earlier. He had to take the course before we could proceed.
Top Top