Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 9:33:12 PM EDT
Where have all the Carpentry jobs gone?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
you won't work for $10/hr, so they are being filled by word of mouth. a gen con friend in basalt has to pay $20 and provide the bag. too bad it takes $40/hr to live out there!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you serious?    Pretty much all construction, home building, and home improvement is being done by immigrants.  

Like it or not there you have it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Ummm, I'm having my house remodeled and all the sub's (and the general) are booked well into next year.  The GC (who's basically a one man company who's a GREAT trim carpenter) says it's the busiest he's seen.
oh yeah, he bills at 40+ an hour, so he's not cheap.
so, one other point of data.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It took me two years to get someone to do a new deck. Everyone was too busy...I guess it depends on where you're looking.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Good Mesa County subs have been backed up for months - and this has been going on for several years. Most are so busy doing new construction that you can't even get a bid on a remodel!

Construction continues to boom in Aspen, Garfield Co., Vail, and Telluride, but like someone said earlier, you have to be able to afford to live there. Or you have to get a carpool going and be willing to commute long distances, or be willing to bunk six to a room weekdays and go home for the weekends. Of course, things are starting to get into the winter slowdown due to weather but they'll continue to hump it until they're covered in snow.

Denver area is in one of its famous slow cycles. Nothing new, they've been doing it for years! Front range developers tend to way overbuild during boom times and then suffer for it in times like these.

But just an unsolicited word of advice - no one should come to the Western Slope without securing a job and a place to live first. This place really sucks if you're both homeless and unemployed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I am involved in a different aspect of contruction and the biggest problem we have is finding qualified people. We do a very specilized installation at commercial contruction and you just don' call the hall to get bodies. But on the other hand I am able to find a much larger group of people who have transferable skills, like HVAC, at a much lower rate than a few years ago. Good for us, but the jobs are fewer and fewer out there so it makes is tougher to keep my guys busy and making money. Good luck in finding work and keep a positive attitude. When I am interviewing potential employees, you can tell when someone is frustrated and it clouds the interview.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I am actually a retired superintendant.i am thinking about going back to work,But i don't want another super job,so i am going to be looking for something i can do on my tools.Thats right,on my tools.I actually learned by climbing up the ladder,not going to school.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Good Mesa County subs have been backed up for months - and this has been going on for several years. Most are so busy doing new construction that you can't even get a bid on a remodel!

Construction continues to boom in Aspen, Garfield Co., Vail, and Telluride, but like someone said earlier, you have to be able to afford to live there. Or you have to get a carpool going and be willing to commute long distances, or be willing to bunk six to a room weekdays and go home for the weekends. Of course, things are starting to get into the winter slowdown due to weather but they'll continue to hump it until they're covered in snow.

Denver area is in one of its famous slow cycles. Nothing new, they've been doing it for years! Front range developers tend to way overbuild during boom times and then suffer for it in times like these.

But just an unsolicited word of advice - no one should come to the Western Slope without securing a job and a place to live first. This place really sucks if you're both homeless and unemployed.

AMEN!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:19:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hell, what happened to all the jobs in CO.

I tell you for a very experienced and qualified guy like myself in many areas of work, Colorado's job market is the worst I have ever seen anywhere!
I still don't have a damn job

Bills are coming and I dont know what I am goign to do.

What field are you in?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Apatriot,
Unless you go union, your looking at somthing like $12-14, which is a joke.

On the other hand, union carpentors are making around $28. with perks.

Best advice is to find some GSI Contractors in your area, to at least make a decent wage.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I am a hardwood floor contractor in the south Denver area, and am busy, busy, busy..almost too busy to shoot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top