Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 10:11:23 PM EDT

Texas State House of Representatives, H.B. No. 2257
AN ACT relating to the speed limit on certain highways in rural counties.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 545.353, Transportation Code, is amended by adding Subsection (h-1) and amending Subsections (h) and (i) to read as follows:
(h) Notwithstanding Section 454.352(b), the commission may establish a speed limit of 75 miles per hour in daytime on a part of the highway system if:
(1) the commission determines that 75 miles per hour in daytime is a reasonable and safe speed for that part of the highway system; and
(2) that part of the highway is located in a county with a population density of less than 15 [10] persons per square mile.
(h-1) Notwithstanding Section 545.352(b), the commission may establish a speed limit of 80 miles per hour in daytime on a part of Interstate Highway 10 or Interstate Highway 20 in Crockett, Culberson, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Kerr, Kimble, Pecos, Reeves, Sutton, or Ward County if the commission determines that 80 miles per hour in daytime is a reasonable and safe speed for that part of the highway.(i) The speed limits [limit] authorized by Subsections [Subsection] (h) and (h-1) do [does] not apply to:
(1) trucks, other than light trucks and light trucks pulling a trailer; and
(2) truck tractors, trailers, and semitrailers.

SECTION 2. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this Act takes effect September 1, 2005.

Excellent.  I go on a trip out there next month!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
That is some desolate country (Kerr County excepted).

Great idea.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:42:45 AM EDT
[#2]
9-1-05 like most of the new state laws more than likely.

Same story in GD said July 5th so maybe they are already up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Wonder if they'll make any changes on I-45?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
How about 80 mph from Austin to Dallas on I-35?  Any takers??  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]
We already drive 80 on I-35, I 10 & I - 45.  If you don;t you will get your ass run over.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We already drive 80 on I-35, I 10 & I - 45.  If you don;t you will get your ass run over.

Buddy ain't that the truth...
You have to be hitting at least 95 to stay in the front of the pack
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#7]
That stretch of I-10 from just south of Junction all the way into San Antone is a "quickie" as well.

I was going 75 (thanks to no radar/laser detector/locator in the wife's rattletrap) and was passed by a DPS doing at least 90.  About 10 mins later, by a Sheriff doing the same thing.  The Trooper did ride this fuckstick's ass, though, who was in the left lane doing 70, until he/she was scared outta the way.  Need to teach drivers to be a little more courteous on Texas Highways and Flyways.

My old boss (whom TxRdnec knows quite well) used to poke along at 55-60 in the left lane.  His justification?  "I pay taxes to drive in both of these lanes."    Erm, actually you pay taxes to *drive* in one of those lanes; you pay taxes for the priveledge of being able to *pass* in the left lane.  Yes, it's a gray area, but my soapbox rises above the fog.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That stretch of I-10 from just south of Junction all the way into San Antone is a "quickie" as well.

I was going 75 (thanks to no radar/laser detector/locator in the wife's rattletrap) and was passed by a DPS doing at least 90.  About 10 mins later, by a Sheriff doing the same thing.  The Trooper did ride this fuckstick's ass, though, who was in the left lane doing 70, until he/she was scared outta the way.  Need to teach drivers to be a little more courteous on Texas Highways and Flyways.

My old boss (whom TxRdnec knows quite well) used to poke along at 55-60 in the left lane.  His justification?  "I pay taxes to drive in both of these lanes."    Erm, actually you pay taxes to *drive* in one of those lanes; you pay taxes for the priveledge of being able to *pass* in the left lane.  Yes, it's a gray area, but my soapbox rises above the fog.

Arrggghhhh.......those left lane people.......I wish they would enforce that the left lane is for passing!!  I usually just take it upon myself to enforce it.    
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arrggghhhh.......those left lane people.......I wish they would enforce that the left lane is for passing!!  I usually just take it upon myself to enforce it.    

Yeah, when I had my '68 Mustang, I used to pass on the shoulder a lot............ both shoulders.  

Now I'm a little more discreet in my abhorrence of those who impede the flow of traffic.  

Jake.

P.S. I've also noticed that it doesn't always take quite the level of obviousness in a truck that it did in a car............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top