Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/18/2003 9:14:19 AM EDT
We are down to the wire to pass a legitimate Concealed Carry bill in Ohio.  The following is a message from the National Rifle Association.

DON'T LET THE OHIO LEGISLATURE AND GOVERNOR TAFT PREVENT YOU FROM DEFENDING YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY

For the first time in ten years, Right-to-Carry reform stands on the brink of being a reality in Ohio. But there are still those who want to deny your right to choose how best to defend yourself and your family from violent criminals.

Ohio's House of Representatives has passed House Bill 12, sponsored by Rep. Jim Aslanides, to allow law-abiding citizens who have taken a training course to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun for personal protection.

The Ohio Senate, however, passed a version of HB 12 that would require a permit holder traveling in a car with anyone under age 18 to secure his handgun in a locked box. This provision would make the firearm useless for self-defense and render the Right-to-Carry law meaningless.

Unless a Conference Committee of House and Senate members is formed in September to work out the differences, HB 12 will die. We've come too close to let that happen. It's time to make your voice heard.

Please contact your State Senator, Representative, and Gov. Bob Taft and urge them to support the formation of an HB 12 Conference Committee. Make sure to express your opposition to the locked box provision. And, above all, please make sure your elected officials and Gov. Taft understand that law-abiding Ohioans deserve to choose for themselves how best to protect their families.

Please make the calls today.

The safety of your family is at stake.

Contact Governor Bob Taft at (614) 644-4357.
ARFCOMers, we need your help.  Contact Bob Taft and your Senators and Reps ASAP.  You can look up who you legislators are at www.ohioccw.org.  Please, take the time to do this, SniperWolfe's folks have no means to defend him due to the current Draconian law.  Seriously, this is important to our families, mine included.  Do it for the families, do it for SniperWolfe.  Also, consider joining Ohioans for Concealed Carry at the website I mentioned above.  We have been fighting for years for this, and it is within our grasps.  We are a 100% volunteer organization, your $20.00 membership is all we have to operate on, we don't accept corporate donations, and are beholden to nobody.  Thanks, all.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Well let HB12 die. This piece of legeslation is garbage!!!! I still can't belive there are so many "GUN" people in Ohio that think a piece of shit bill is a good thing. You are in such a hurry for a law you don't give a damn what it says.
Wise up people. Let the Ohio Supreme Court rule. When that happens then Taft and all the gun-grabbers will be fucked. This state will then be like Vermont. The gun owners will win. You will have your rights restored.
Any CCW law only gives the goverment control of your rights.
If you realy care about your rights then let HB12 die.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I beg to differ.  If the Supremes rule in our favor, then the legislature will have to do nothing more than remove the affirmative defenses and the law will once again pass constitutional muster. If the Supremes do not rule in our favor, then we could be screwed, one of the reasons they are trying to get a bill passed now, is so that the Supreme Court case will become moot.  The legislature is afraid of there being no laws at all.  House Bill 12, as passed by the House was an excellent bill.  Sub.HB 12, as passed by the Senate, is an abortion.  We are looking to get the House version passed.  Look to OFCC for more information.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#3]
So you realy feel that giving the goverment any control over your rights is a good thing?
The only reasion the OSC delayed it's ruling was to give the legeslature a chance to get it's head out of it's ass. These idiots just don't get it in Culumbus.
Read what the OSC has said already, they are on the peoples side.
Once they rule that one gun law is unconstutional the legeslature will have one hell of a time passing any law that infringes on anyones rights.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You wouldn't be from PRO, would you?  If so, I think I know you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]
No  I'm not from PRO. I'm just an American who belives in the constution as it was written.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#6]
As do I, but I choose to be a pramatist also.  Doesn't mean that something drastic is out of my purview.  Unfortunately, the courts have ruled that governments may regulate the manner in which a firearm may be carried.  I disagree with that, but I am not a judge.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top