Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:50:39 AM EDT
Hi,

Sorry for the off-topic, but this is the best place to ask. Is there public transportation from Miami Airport to Key West? Any additional info like pricing and travel time would be greatly appreciated.

Dmitrius
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:57:23 PM EDT
I do not know of any. I would try AAA. they have the in and out of the area and would know for sure. There is a bus.

The best thing to do is rent a car. They are are inexpensive in Miami. Its about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive. You can pull over and take a dip anywhere. Some hotels charge for parking. Ask the locals who work in key West where they eat. They will probably send you somewhere off of Duval street.

Good luck and have a good time. There water is like bath water right now. I rented a boat last weekend for $235.00 for the whole day. It was enough.

Good luck and have a good time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:56:39 AM EDT
renting a car is probrably your best bet, have fun and be safe on the way down, lots of assholes & drunks driving
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:14:31 AM EDT
I've seen and heard of some real nasty car wrecks down in the keys. Don't drive drunk, and don't do anything stupid.

Otherwise, have fun
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:33:11 AM EDT
If all you want to see is Key West, it would probably be just as easy to take a flight from Miami to KW. Everything in the whole place is within walking distance of whatever you would want to see. The Flagler museum, customs house, little White House, Duval St., Sloppy Joe's etc. You would avoid the traffic, and possibly save yourself a lot of time. We went down last year again and some schmuck with a rusted to hell and gone boat trailer had a wheel bearing failure which caused his rusty trailer axle to come off and apart when the wheel locked down. Since this was on the seven mile bridge, we were stuck for 45 minutes getting around this mess.

It's a beautiful place for sure, and seeing everything from the air is sweet.

For eats, the A&B Lobsterhouse is great at the pier, everything else I found to be overpriced tourist-y crap. There is a place on adjacent Stock Island where we eat frequently down there, cannot remember the name, but it is great food. Make sure you check out the performers at Mallory Square at sunset. There are some weirdos, but a few of the acts are really good.

Have fun!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:11:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jordanone:
I've seen and heard of some real nasty car wrecks down in the keys. Don't drive drunk, and don't do anything stupid.

Otherwise, have fun

one of my most memorable ones was a brank spankin' new top of the line(for the time) ferrari, and it was in the water and all I could see were bubbles coming up and the rear going down, and some guy sitting on the side of the road crying with his cell phone next to him. felt sorry for the guy, but had he not been a hot shot, he'd saved some money on that wreck for sure.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:28:51 PM EDT
as far as I know there is no public transportation from Miami to Key West, but don't quote me.

It would probably be most time-efficient to simply take a puddlejumper from MIA to KW, then rent a car while you're there.

Looking at the map, it seems like a quick drive, but when you factor in the traffic, idiot drivers, and speed traps, it can be an aggravating trip.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:19:08 PM EDT
Fly. Once in Key West you can get by without a car.
Top Top