Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2008 4:53:26 PM EDT
Last Sunday 2 friends and myself did a little shooting on private property. The property belonged to one of the guys present and we had plenty of setback....however the area we had been in is still close enough to a small cluster of homes that we had the State Police called on us(alot of people from the city and suburbs of the city like the Mcmansions in the country  and probably arent used to the sounds of gunfire at least not in a casual way)So anyways.
We had a couple of twelve guages ,  a 9mm Glock and about 2 dozen pumpkins leftover from Halloween. 2 of us had AK type rifles and decided that we probably shouldnt shoot them here, it was the first time we shot on his property and my buddy has only been living there a few months. Needless to say I hiked the two rifles back to my truck before we started.All was good having a great time blasting pumpkins with 00buck and about 35 mins into it my friend spots the lights at the top of the road.......uh oh!!!! Now we are all legal,guns are legite and I have a pistol permit but this is New York and thats a Statie. I have to admit I was a little nervous.
Long story short the Trooper was cool as all hell, said we are in our rights that he still had to investigate because 3 seperate people called.He took are names and numbers checked our ID ...DID NOT EVEN ASK OR WANT TO LOOK AT OUR GUNS. !!!Actualy started a conversation about my Kimber TLEII that he saw listed on my permit.
That was pretty much it. Said next time take a walk to the closest houses and just let them know we are target shooting and that the State Police said its OK.Real nice guy!!!

Now I wonder what those people up in the Mcmansions would have thought if we opened up a 30 rounder of russian surplus!!!

Thanks for looking Ray
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice to know!

Most LEO I know are cool with firearms as long as they are legally owned and not involved in criminal activity.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch, in a day or 2, he will post in this thread, and have a 1000+ postcount.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
where in NY?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow!!
I'm not sure I would have been as "helpfull" to him as you were.
This was private property,with the owner on site.
I would have been told him,in a nice way, to "pack it".
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 4:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow!!

At which point you probably would have been put into handcuffs until he could determine you were the owner and all the guns were legal.  After which he probably would have written whatever tickets and made whatever arrests he could.  If you're a dick to the cop expect to get it right back.

It's always nice to hear about the good ones.  Most cops I have met are smarter then politicians and don't support the gun grabbers.  They actually understand (often through experiance) that criminals will get guns despite the laws.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:22:33 AM EDT
[#6]
My father owns a 130 acre farm in Millstone NJ near Great Adventure. Millstone used to be all farm land but within my life time I've seen the million dollar houses go up all over the border on our property. I'm only 30 but things sure have changed a lot in say the past 20 years.

I have 2 similiar stories. First one is when my father would legally spot deer at night in the fields. As a farmer in NJ you are legally allowed to spot for deer at night. I can just imagine Mr. Wallstreet or Mrs. SITATHOME hearing shots going off in the middle of the night. LOL.  Of course the police were called and since Millstone doesn't even have it's own police dept. the Staties were dispatched. They came up the driveway, told my father they know he is within the law but had to show up since they got the call and left.

2nd one is with me and my buddy doing some target shooting in the back of the property. There are million dollar houses about 150 yards to our right we are shooting into a hill parallel to the houses and behind it are woods with plenty of room. We were shooting pistols .45 and .40 and a pump action 12g shotgun. After about 15 min some fat little bitch comes out on her back deck and she's talking on her phone really loud. So loud in fact that I can hear ever word she's saying! lol....She said you can't shoot deer right now it's not hunting season! I busted out laughing so hard.....I mean how stupid can you be? Does she really think we are shooting off round after round at a deer that is just sitting there! Her stupidity joined with the entightlement I feel from growing up on this land got me a little pissed off....So I shout back STFU and go inside we were here first! After that I aimed at the target and emptied everything I had into it. Everything after that was with the intent to push her buttons. F them!
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
....So I shout back STFU and go inside we were here first! After that I aimed at the target and emptied everything I had into it. Everything after that was with the intent to push her buttons. F them!

I can't imagine why some people have a negative opinion of guns and hunters.

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
....So I shout back STFU and go inside we were here first! After that I aimed at the target and emptied everything I had into it. Everything after that was with the intent to push her buttons. F them!

And I can't imagine why gun owners have a negative opinion of yuppy non fat mocha latte drinking neighbors who have no respect for my rights and my property that has been there for 3 generations! You can go F yourself too!

leave the personal attacks out of here or you won't be posting here ~HiramRanger
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#9]
We have the same situation where I live as our club is has houses fairly close to it. And though the club was their first, it better to be diplomatic than confrontational. Not all city dwellers or transplants are anti-gun, but rude behavior by people with guns could push them other to the other side. If its legal to shoot on your property and you are doing it safely that is all that matters. But also being polite to the uninformed couldn't hurt. As for telling the officer to pack it in, when has being confrontational with an officer ever worked out!

best regards,

Luis Leon

P.S. Maybe you could invite some of those neighbors to shoot some of your lighter caliber guns (22s if you have some). Bring them over to our side?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Luisleon, funny you say that...my friend who owns the property is going to offer that to any one interested .
As far as bieng rude to neighbors...telling them to F### O## and not bieng civil to any law enforcement, in these times you need to be as a gun owner an example of how to conduct yourself in these social situations!!! Not to sound full of myself, I just think non gun owners dont need any more reason to have a negative opinion about us. Educate them if you get the chance but never stoop to their level!!!
Just my $.02
Thanks Ray
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#11]
If only we could turn  non gunners into supporting less regulation on sound suppersors, so they wont be disturbed while watching american idol.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow!!

Let me know how that work out for you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe she already had a poor opinion of guns, shooting and hunting.

That's why she was being such a bitch about it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My father owns a 130 acre farm in Millstone NJ near Great Adventure. Millstone used to be all farm land but within my life time I've seen the million dollar houses go up all over the border on our property. I'm only 30 but things sure have changed a lot in say the past 20 years.

I have 2 similiar stories. First one is when my father would legally spot deer at night in the fields. As a farmer in NJ you are legally allowed to spot for deer at night. I can just imagine Mr. Wallstreet or Mrs. SITATHOME hearing shots going off in the middle of the night. LOL.  Of course the police were called and since Millstone doesn't even have it's own police dept. the Staties were dispatched. They came up the driveway, told my father they know he is within the law but had to show up since they got the call and left.

2nd one is with me and my buddy doing some target shooting in the back of the property. There are million dollar houses about 150 yards to our right we are shooting into a hill parallel to the houses and behind it are woods with plenty of room. We were shooting pistols .45 and .40 and a pump action 12g shotgun. After about 15 min some fat little bitch comes out on her back deck and she's talking on her phone really loud. So loud in fact that I can hear ever word she's saying! lol....She said you can't shoot deer right now it's not hunting season! I busted out laughing so hard.....I mean how stupid can you be? Does she really think we are shooting off round after round at a deer that is just sitting there! Her stupidity joined with the entightlement I feel from growing up on this land got me a little pissed off....So I shout back STFU and go inside we were here first! After that I aimed at the target and emptied everything I had into it. Everything after that was with the intent to push her buttons. F them!

In a situation like that, you have the choice of 1) taking the high road, not being rude, and maybe showing the other person that their prejudices may not be justified or 2) acting like an asshole yourself and reinforcing the person's preexisting beliefs.  You chose the latter.

In all environments, ESPECIALLY non-gun friendly ones, we need to act like good responsible citizens, not complete assholes.  Nice work.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Can the shooters be nailed for disturbing the peace or something?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can the shooters be nailed for disturbing the peace or something?

I think only after a certain time of day, no
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a situation like that, you have the choice of 1) taking the high road, not being rude, and maybe showing the other person that their prejudices may not be justified or 2) acting like an asshole yourself and reinforcing the person's preexisting beliefs.  You chose the latter.

In all environments, ESPECIALLY non-gun friendly ones, we need to act like good responsible citizens, not complete assholes.  Nice work.

I disagree. I think some of you have lost your minds. Listen to what some of you are suggesting. Someone RUDELY attacks me while I'm doing NOTHING wrong and I'm the one who is supposed to be courtious and neighborly? GIVE ME A BREAK! Stand up for yourself and your beliefs...That is the problem with some of you. You try to take the high road all while the government and opponents of guns disrespecting you. You suggest I invite them over to shoot my .22? lol that is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Next time someone comes up and slaps you in the face why don't you ask him over to sing christmas carols and drink egg nog!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
..................Next time someone comes up and slaps you in the face why don't you ask him over to sing christmas carols and drink egg nog!

Just turning the other cheek will do.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree. I think some of you have lost your minds. Listen to what some of you are suggesting. Someone RUDELY attacks me while I'm doing NOTHING wrong and I'm the one who is supposed to be courtious and neighborly? GIVE ME A BREAK! Stand up for yourself and your beliefs...That is the problem with some of you. You try to take the high road all while the government and opponents of guns disrespecting you. You suggest I invite them over to shoot my .22? lol that is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Next time someone comes up and slaps you in the face why don't you ask him over to sing christmas carols and drink egg nog!

I can only imagine what the Women would have said if your were shooting your AR.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can only imagine what the Women would have said if your were shooting your AR.

Something along the lines of "Hey I'm calling the police you can't have a machine gun"
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wow!!

Quite possibly one of the stupidest statements I've ever heard for a number of reasons.

He had three separate calls for gunshots. He has no way of knowing whether you are target shooting, committing an armed home invasion, hunting illegally or murdering your wife for refusing to make you a sammich. By virtue of that alone he must investigate.

Second, how is he supposed to know the owner is on site unless he investigates and confirms that fact? Clairvoyance is not a prerequisite for NY State Troopers..

Third, giving him (or anybody else) an attitude like that only serves to reinforce the misnomer that gun owners are irresponsible and hot headed. Why not be polite, respectful and assist the LEO in his query? It can only portray gun owners in a better light and, hopefully, will make the next gun owner's experience with that LEO much smoother.

Fourth and most important, its the quickest way to bring a lot of unneeded scrutiny on the part of the LEO. An LEO can just as easily temporarily impound your AK until such time as he can have an expert (Read: ATF) verify that its not illegal as per the AWB. And you do NOT want the ATF getting involved in your life.

Some of you people really amaze me...

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
..................Next time someone comes up and slaps you in the face why don't you ask him over to sing christmas carols and drink egg nog!

Maybe for some but then again everyone's different. Without getting offensive let me just say this. If you blatently disrespect me, count on something in return. If that's the way you deal with your situations fine, but to think everyone would act that way would be a little silly...

a nation is not governed, which is perpetually to be conquered.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I shudder to think exactly how many gun owners are EXACTLY like what gun grabbers envision ALL  gun owners are like... Vote from the rooftops...
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Sometimes turning the other cheek is exactly what you need to do.

Comparing an assault to your situation is asinine.

Your actions reflect on all gun owners.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe for some but then again everyone's different. Without getting offensive let me just say this. If you blatently disrespect me, count on something in return. If that's the way you deal with your situations fine, but to think everyone would act that way would be a little silly...

a nation is not governed, which is perpetually to be conquered.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.  Many would do well to learn this.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Has this site been over run by Liberal Democratic 2nd Amendment haters? Or is this just how all NJ shooters think? Wow. I really can't believe the things I'm seeing....You all must be real excited to see Obama in office.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Has this site been over run by Liberal Democratic 2nd Amendment haters? Or is this just how all NJ shooters think? Wow. I really can't believe the things I'm seeing....You all must be real excited to see Obama in office.

You seem to equate obstinance with assertion of one's second amendment rights. How wrong you are..

If by virtue of the fact that some of us can assert our Second amendment rights while being polite, intelligent and respectful towards LEOs and others we are now Obama lovers, then so be it. Didn't realize that only by being an obstinate moron can one truly be called a Second Amendment advocate...
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chris, I received a complaint over your post as a personal attack.  While I don't see it violating the CoC, can we please drop the digs before this escalates further?  I have no desire to lock a thread in the HTF.  It is one of the more pleasant forums to come to and I would prefer it stay that way.

Having said that, the general consensus is you catch more flies with honey than vinegar and perhaps those advocating the vinegar route should strongly reconsider their view and recognize that a good portion of our battle is perception.  Being abrasive to non-gun owners will only work against us.  You can defend your rights, stand your ground and still be respectful.

I thought I was the Obama lover. Shouldn't I be the one who offends easily?

I'll be nice from now on...
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chris, I received a complaint over your post as a personal attack.  While I don't see it violating the CoC, can we please drop the digs before this escalates further?  I have no desire to lock a thread in the HTF.  It is one of the more pleasant forums to come to and I would prefer it stay that way.

Having said that, the general consensus is you catch more flies with honey than vinegar and perhaps those advocating the vinegar route should strongly reconsider their view and recognize that a good portion of our battle is perception.  Being abrasive to non-gun owners will only work against us.  You can defend your rights, stand your ground and still be respectful.

I thought I was the Obama lover. Shouldn't I be the one who offends easily?

I'll be nice from now on...

Don't make me laugh when I'm trying to be authoritative damn it!  You wouldn't want me to make you laugh while you were trying to take down a hijacker would you?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, my job here is just as important as dangerous... yeah I said it...  Dude put down the Sig... I'm kidding man... kidding it!  Hey, if you're going to tie me up and throw me in the storage closet until we land could you at least throw me a cute FEMALE stewardess?  Not that shit like you pulled last time with Devon who wanted to fly my unfriendly skies... you bastard!

There are no more good looking flight attendants. The last one's I flew with looked like they cut their teeth serving drinks to the Wright Brothers on their maiden voyage...
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#37]
WOW!!!!!
I posted this story as a positive for NY gun owners (Jersey too ) I think a little more detail on the situation is in order just so you know my mind set at the time.
1) as my story indicated there are 2 AK's present(removed and placed in my truck)but the PREBAN 30 RD MAGS ARE IN MY BACK PACK that I had on my person....
2) I had my Glock loaded on my hip...and not to mention a 33rd preban mag in the same backpack
3)Inside my truck 2...AK rifles one MAK90 thumbhole(no worries), and 1 SAR w/threaded muzzle and a permanetly installed slant brake and Romy stock w/pistol grip.(WORRIED)

Now all of this is totaly legal....No Problem ...Right??? I sure f@#%$*# hope this Trooper knows that.Yeah my anus was twitching a little!!!! So now we are about 200yrds away from the road down in this field . My friend who owns the property said wait here Ill go see if I can straighten this out. My other friend is realy sh@#@*% a brick (no joke) I waited for a minute at wich time I unloaded my Glock stuffed it and my holster in the back pack and then put the pack on the ground and the two of us proceeded up the hill to where the Trooper and my friend are.As I walked up the hill I envisioned the State Trooper drawing down on us or telling us to put our hands up,he didnt...maybe he should have??As I approached him I extended both my arms out with open palms just so he knew I wasnt holding a gun.He did ask if we are armed.I explained all the weapons are down where we had been shooting.He was nice and calm. I have to say If I had been him I probably would have been a little more precautious.He asked for my pistol permit I responded it was in my truck(OH SNAP THE AK's!!) I asked if he wanted me to get it.Of course he said yes.He let me go to my truck unaccompanied and get my ID and permit....KEEP IN MIND HE WAS ALONE!!!DID NOT CALL FOR BACK UP!!! Then he pretty much took our info and just said reach out to the neighbors next time you are going to target shoot and shook our hands. Then left.
I cant tell you how helpless you are to the whim of a Cop, Trooper , fed and LE agent if they want to stick it to you. For example,My neighbor next door(who is a local Cop),  laughs when he hears me shooting gophers and other creatures in my back yard ,told me that my 33rd hicaps I scored at a gunshow are ILLEGAL!!! I explained they are preban and exempt from the ban....I educated him!!! If this Trooper doesnt know this or doesnt care ,guess what I am ARRESTED, and as a parting gift I get to hire a LAWYER and have a nice article in the paper for all my neighbors, kids soccer coachs,teachers to read.
So I hope my little friend who unknowingly HIJACKED MY THREAD will learn.It aint worth it

To Hiram Ranger please dont lock this thread .I always am on this site but dont post much just because of this kind of thing.I posted this because I felt this was a positve thing for us all to read and now we stir up some B.S. like this . I dont think any sensible person would do different what I did or at least I hope not and by the way I aint a pushover,I have gotten into it with Cops before most of my family and friends are Law enforcement but like my Father (God rest his sole) always told me choose your battles wisely!!!
Thanks all ,Ray
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Cool, it take me along time to type.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Glad to hear that your situation worked out.  And alot of cops in this state are not anti's at all, matter of fact, my fed buddy offered to get me an HK416 upper at HK's armorer's price from an armorer he knew.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Glad to hear that your situation worked out.  And alot of cops in this state are not anti's at all, matter of fact, my fed buddy offered to get me an HK416 upper at HK's armorer's price from an armorer he knew.

And there are plenty of LEO that are anti, or at the very least, so non-gun that the sight of any type of firearm would scare the living day lights out of them and cause them to completely overreact.

Consider this also, we all come on this site and hash out the minor, minute details of a small section from the back of the NYS penal law. We know it's wording by heart. Most LE spent probably less than 2 minutes reading it over during their academy and then never saw a test question or dealt with it again. That can work for you, or against you. Sadly, it might be luck of the draw. However, being friendly, cooperative, and politely informing the LEO about pre-ban/post-ban symantics could seriously help you out of a similar type of situation such as Rays.

Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I've seen people suggest that you print out copies of the relevant laws, and keep the copies in your gun cases.  It's good advice.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I have noticed the Stateies in Dutchess County are really professional. What ever they are teaching at the academy it’s surely showing off. What a difference from what I dealt with while I was growing up as a kid around here.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have noticed the Stateies in Dutchess County are really professional. What ever they are teaching at the academy it’s surely showing off. What a difference from what I dealt with while I was growing up as a kid around here.

A lot has to do with the region that the Trooper is assigned to. Duchess, Sullivan and other Up State Counties, where firearms, CCW and hunting are much more prevalent, has LEOs who deal with hunters much more often than, say, a Trooper assigned to the NYC/Long Island region. As such, they make it a point to be well versed in Firearms/Hunting laws and are much more comfortable when encountering Citizens who are armed.

Reassign a Trooper form NYC to Up State NY and see what happens for the first few months until such time as he gets accustomed to firearms being the norm rather than the exception.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like a typical interaction. I dont see why you'd think that was unusual. Hope you don't buy into the GD opinion of LEOs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I can't imagine why gun owners have a negative opinion of yuppy non fat mocha latte drinking neighbors who have no respect for my rights and my property that has been there for 3 generations! You can go F yourself too!

leave the personal attacks out of here or you won't be posting here ~HiramRanger

So tell me: is it legal in NJ to discharge a firearm within 150 yards of another persons residence without that owners consent?
It doesn't matter how long you've lived there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So tell me: is it legal in NJ to discharge a firearm within 150 yards of another persons residence without that owners consent?

Of course it is. It's private property. What kind of question is that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Last I checked in NY, you have to be 500 ft from all buildings.  Doesn't matter if you are on your own land, you still have to be more than 500 ft from you neighbor or else have their permission.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that is a state or county rule?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course it is. It's private property. What kind of question is that.

Might want to reread the NJ Penal Code, Hoss.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!!

Let me know how that work out for you.

+1

A statie has to respond to this kinda call.....

Telling him to 'pack it' is unwise.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top