Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 1:33:26 AM EDT
Policewoman Shot In Nottingham Tuesday February 14, 10:00 AM    

A 25-year-old policewoman has been shot and injured while on duty in Nottingham.Rachael Bown was gunned down after attending the scene of a reported burglary in the Lenton area shortly before midnight. The probationary officer is said to be in a serious condition in intensive care after undergoing emergency surgery at the city's Queen's Medical Centre.

PC Bown was shot in the lower abdomen while trying to stop a man near the scene of the apparent burglary.

Police say she was wearing body

(Advertisement)
armour at the time but the shot hit her just below her protective vest.

A spokesman said: "Two officers, an experienced city-based male officer and a female probation officer, attempted to stop a male nearby.

"The suspect produced a firearm and shot one of the officers."

No arrests have been made in connection with the shooting. Several scenes have been cordoned off for forensic tests.

Chief Supt Marcus Beale told Sky News PC Bown is expected to be in hospital "for several days".

He later added: "Officers are clearly very concerned about their colleague and we are 100% committed to finding and apprehending the offender as soon as possible."

He said a major inquiry has been launched and he has appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

:: Three people appeared in court yesterday, charged in connection with the shooting of PC Sharon Beshenivsky, who was killed while on duty in Bradford in November
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I see that the officer was taken to Queens Medical........ That's got to have improved her chances of survival ten fold....... That is one impressive facility.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#3]
[sheeple]WTF? How did that criminal/thug get hold of a handgun????? They're banned according to UK law! Oh....wait a minute...[/sheeple]

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:25:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you guys ever see the episode of Road wars where the 2 cops went to the states?

There explanation of unarmed police in the uk was " it makes the politicians feel safer, There kidding themselves"

I say give the police a free vote, if they want to carry let them, if not you cant force them its only a job,

But if we need an armed police force.. who will protect the public?? i cant see the problem with the general public being allowed cs on FAC of course,  it would stop a lot of violent crime and the crooks shouldtnt be able to get it....

James
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I see that the officer was taken to Queens Medical........ That's got to have improved her chances of survival ten fold....... That is one impressive facility.

I also read this on the BBC news, She was shot before midnight but she arrived in hospital after 05:00hrs. WTF. is going on, did the forensic's team not want to casevac her as it might ruin their crime scene. I was disgusted that it took them so long to get this obviously brave woman to hospital.

It stink's to high heaven that there is more to the tail than has been reported on so far, even the squaddies in combat zone's can expect to be transported to a medical facility sooner.

End of rant!!!!!!

I'm thinking that she may have been put on a NHS waiting list

Tony
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Mothers Against Guns on the Beeb website:

"Nottingham's last attempt at a guns amnesty, in November, only took 35 weapons out of commission. The hardcore drug-dealers and offenders were not being dissuaded, Mrs Collins said."

Really !?!, I'm shocked

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Get well soon Rachael.

I was so disgusted by the incident that I forgot my manner's, sorry.

Tony.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Police vote consistently (70%+) against being armed....

ANdy

So give guns to the other 30%
It's a start
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#12]
The only outcome to this will be better body armour for the cops, they'll never be armed

Steve
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#13]
They'll (BG's) start doing to the cops what they did in South Africa. Shoot for the head, legs, arms, feet etc. I remember seeing so many reports where the police were killed/taken out of commision by shots aimed specificaly to avoid armour. My brother had also been shot at many, many times (narcotics)...their unmarked Golf was once riddled by 7.62 AK rounds when they went into Soweto for an operation. Lucky they were unhurt and bugged out of there at speed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember not so long back nottingham police saying they were swamped and needed help.

the government ignored that

not saying anything would of helped in this case but the notts police need to make some ground politicaly from this.

Ive seen police officers shooting in this country, all clubs im a member of see them as a running joke and with good reason. I think i prefer them to be unarmed at least with there current level of training!

Matt
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They'll (BG's) start doing to the cops what they did in South Africa. Shoot for the head, legs, arms, feet etc. I remember seeing so many reports where the police were killed/taken out of commision by shots aimed specificaly to avoid armour. My brother had also been shot at many, many times (narcotics)...their unmarked Golf was once riddled by 7.62 AK rounds when they went into Soweto for an operation. Lucky they were unhurt and bugged out of there at speed.

+1

Did a tour of some of  jo'berg's nicer places with an ex-SAPS.
The above plus the ex-soviet AP rounds !
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't that burglar realize that there are laws preventing him from having a handgun?

What's a civilization to do?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mothers Against Guns on the Beeb website:

"Nottingham's last attempt at a guns amnesty, in November, only took 35 weapons out of commission. The hardcore drug-dealers and offenders were not being dissuaded, Mrs Collins said."

Really !?!, I'm shocked

+ 1.

Guns amnesty = turn in the tools of your trade.

Would any of us expect a "turn in your stethescopes" program to go over any better with a group of physicians?  Or "turn in your trowels" with stonemasons?  "Turn in your wrenches" with mechanics?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Police vote consistently (70%+) against being armed....

ANdy

So give guns to the other 30%
It's a start

Agreed.  It would lay the groundwork for comparitive studies, within a fairly controlled population.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top