Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2007 5:04:18 PM EDT
As posted in GD, apparently Ted of Northeast Traders has admitted to a number of people that he was involved in ratting out Mass gunowners to the AG, regarding the purchase of Ammo and reloading supplies from online sources.

Link for more information

Time to get the word out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
since i'm here for the next couple of weeks, get me up to date on some gun laws.  Is it illegal to buy ammo online or out of state and drive them home?

Steve
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Avoid Northeast Traders at ALL costs.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Hit him where it counts most!  The Wallet (or should I say purse?)!!!  It will be a cold day in hell before I darken his door again.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, here is the reply to the email I sent him:

Steve,

I replied to another NES member whom sent a similar message. Just so you know and as reported in my memo below, I never ever consorted with the AG about out of state ammo sales.  To the quantary I worked with one out of state company and tried to establish with them the proper protocol so that they could sell ammo to MA residents.

"First and foremost please let me state that I have and will continue to work for gun owners and their rights to keep and bear arms, ammo and all those items that we should be able to own, and to get out from under the oppressive laws that we have in MA. After all I have been a licensed gun owner for 42 years. I run a very extensive Firearm Safety Class and assist my students in any way that I can to obtain their LTC.

As to BP, yes I over reacted to what looked like a direct threat to my business. I should have realized that our store  or any gun store generally has better pricing then they do. I actually I called the CHSB, not because of GLOCKs but because of guns not on the EOPS list.(I was told I wasn't the first caller and probably wouldn't be the last.) I was then and for the first time ever contacted and asked if I could elaborate. My answer was simply that I had heard through customers coming into the store and also what I had read on the various gun forums.  They mentioned they had seen information on the forums also.

Hind sight, I over reacted and probably should have just kept my mouth shut. Not that it's an excuse but if you know me, you know that I work 7 days a week trying my best to have a full store with the items that we shooters buy and at the best possible price I can stay alive with. I'm proud that I made a business that allows me to be able to have several people work hear and pay them very good wages.

As far as this ratting out to the AG (aside from BP) or anyone else for that matter on anything including outside of MA businesses selling in to MA is just blatantly and absolutely not true. I am totally dumb founded where this is coming from.  I've known Q for years and consider him a friend.  He and I have done a lot of things together including shooting activities at the Mansfield Club. I just don't understand where he is coming from.

Several years ago when the Dealer Organization was first formed (we don't or have not done much the last several years) Nancy Snow from GOAL had called and asked if I would talk to an organization about selling into MA.  They The Sportsman's Guide (if memory serves me correct) was in the process of being served by our AG. They did contact me and we worked very hard to help them understand that if they received a copy of a MA Drivers License and a License to Carry or an FID card and kept it on file that they could sell into MA. Later they called back and told me that after their lawyers reviewed the MA laws they were cautioned and told it would not be in their best interest to sell to MA. I really tried my best to keep this company selling to MA.

Just so you know, since we opened the store and even as an FFL from my house we have always had a policy that customers could use our FFL and address to order from any company that would not normally send to a private party.  We do not charge anything for this service and I send FFLs  frequently for this purpose.

Also, even I as a dealer have some companies because of their agreement with the AG, will not send AMMO  to me as an FFL.  I have to have the ammo sent to an out of state shop and then go pick it up myself.

As a side note I did contact BP before they opened via email, and one of the Hunting Managers stopped by a week before opening and we casually talked about gun sales and when they said Glocks, I mentioned not ok for MA, and he said they were told they were good to go. I did make an effort to inform them."

I hope this clears up the misinformation about myself and Northeast Trading Company

Please don't hesitate to call or send email if I can answer any more questions.

Ted Oven
Northeast Trading Company
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
He's back pedaling as would be expected. Hopefully the word gets out, and he hurts from his actions.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Everyone,

I have known Ted for several years. I have never had a problem with him, and as a customer, I have always felt that I was treated well. He never pressured me to buy one thing as opposed to another, and encouraged me to shop around.

In a conversation prior to the Bass Pro fiasco, Ted told me that he had been speaking with people at Bass Pro and was offering help with training staff and helping to clarify any confusion about Mass law. He then advised me that if I had the spare money, I should go down to Bass Pro and pick up one of the 10/22's that they were advertising. These do not seem like the actions of someone who is hostile to the competition.

He also stated (prior to Bass Pro opening) that he had been doing research through Bass Pro and Cabelas catalogs and determined that their prices were higher than his, and that they did not carry things that he carried-  like EBRs. This combined with the fact that people would have to fight stadium traffic lead him to believe that they were not a big threat.

Another point that he made, was that since people may make special long trips to come to Bass Pro, they may also check out the local shops like his while they are in the area. In this case, Bass Pro would be bringing him business.

After the Bass Pro incident, I did question Ted. I wont go into detail, but although we had some differences in opinion, he did make some good points, and I was left feeling that his actions were not done maliciously.

I would advise that before making any judgments, people should go to the "gun shops and reviews" sections of www.Northeastshooters.com and read some of the background, not only of the Bass Pro issue, but go back and see what comments have been made in the past. Pay particular attention to a Poster named Scrivener since he is one of the better Massachusetts firearms lawyers and has a better understanding of all of the nuances and details.

Thank You,
J.D.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top