Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 8:57:50 PM EDT
Hi all, to make a Norinco folder a rifle (over 30 inches in total length) by adding an extension and slant brake, do they have to be permanently attached? The barrel is 16 inches.

This is not my rifle but a rifle a friend was given by another about ten years ago. He's pretty ignorant of gun laws and I was shocked when he showed it to me.  I promised to find out how to make it legal and could use some advice from the knowledgable people here.

Also is it legal to add the extensions to make it comply with the law?

Thanks in advance guys!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If the OAL is over 26 but under 30 he can register it as a pistol, If he doesnt want to register it as a pistol then an extension has to be attached. Weather the extension has to be perminately attached no one reall knows, some say yes some say no, me personally i say it has to be. High temp silver solder, blind pin, four spot welds around the extension or a bead of weld half the circumference of the extension are the methods of perminately attaching an extension. McM
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
four spot welds around the extension or a bead of weld half the circumference of the extension are the methods of perminately attaching an extension.

While it would certainly be a "permanent" attachment, it is not advisable to weld directly on the barrel.  It would severely screw up your accuracy.  The blind pin and weld over method is much better, as the welding is only on the attachment, and not on the barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top