Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/17/2006 2:35:04 PM EST
Is it legal for me to have a handgun with me while camping in PA?
It would not be carried concealed on my person, while hiking I would put it in my pack, disassembled if needed

I should have gotten around to mailing in my CCW application a cpuple months ago as then it wouldn't matter
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:03:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:35:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 5:39:03 PM EST by AKsRule]
Some reference material..........




(unloaded and in a container is ok )
Open Carry on PRIVATE PROPERTY ( with permission of owner) OK

This would apply to a commercial campsite or private land you camp on.
But Not State Parks.
Don't fire warning shots at Furry woodland creatures out of season.

There is no registration or licensing of "firearms" (handguns) as far as possession in PA.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:17:21 AM EST
Nope. But it's fairly easy to get a non-resident permit; and if you don't have a permit in your own state, you can still get a sportsman's permit that allows you to have a handgun in your posession while hunting, fishing, etc. No "application" to jump through to get this one, and it's available through any county treasurer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:04:38 PM EST
OK I will make this SIMPLER.

If you can legally buy and possess a Handgun in your State of Residence,

You can bring it into PA and Possess it at your Residence or Place of Business.

You Cannot carry it concealed ,or loaded in a Vehicle UNLESS you have
a CARRY LICENSE recognized by PA.

You can Transport it in your vehicle UNLOADED, and in a case - ammo stored separately.

A privately owned campsite - privately owned property - or a Hotel/Motel room
would be considered your RESIDENCE.

Hunting regulations are a totally separate area of discussion.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:24:58 AM EST
thanks for the info
in the rush to grab stuff as I left to go yesterday I forgot the gun so it wouldn't have mattered anyway

I have the application to get my PA non-resident CCW from Centre County, just need to make a new photo copy of my dl and NY CCW, and find two friends willing to be references for something gun related
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:18:13 PM EST
If you are camping in the National Forest you can have your weapon with you as far as I am aware.
My understanding is that you can open carry and shoot pretty much wherever, so long as you are 100 yards from a road, water, or structure. The only NF is Allegheny in the NW corner of the state. I have camped up there a few times and had no issues with shooting an AR for afternoons full of mag dumps. Never even saw another person when I was up there!

Check with the local rangers..they can give you the law of the land.
As for non-NF land....get yourself a non-resident LTC.

Top Top