Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/21/2012 4:20:01 AM EST
I recently moved to Texas from Arkansas. I have an Arkansas CCW permit. I have a valid Texas DL but my Texas carry permit expired 6 years ago. Can I carry in Texas even though my permit is from Arkansas and I now legally live in Texas?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:39:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 4:42:46 AM EST by LuckyDucky]
1) Is the Arkansas license restricted to residents of Arkansas?
2) Does TX allow reciprocity with Arkansas?

My bet without researching the specific is that you can't carry in Texas.

...even though the 2nd amendment says "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:06:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 6:21:04 AM EST by clikclikpull]

Originally Posted By happybuddh:
I recently moved to Texas from Arkansas. I have an Arkansas CCW permit. I have a valid Texas DL but my Texas carry permit expired 6 years ago. Can I carry in Texas even though my permit is from Arkansas and I now legally live in Texas?
I would send a email to Texas DPS RSD (choose Concealed Handgun Program) http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/contact.htm

If you no longer have a AR Driver's License my guess is no, but I have been given conflicting info from the state...so get it in writing.

If you weren't already aware, in most cases it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle without a CHL. Might be an option until you can get the license. Read http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:25:38 AM EST
You can carry in TX, but you should get your resident CHL as soon as possible. Your AR permit does not get you out of a NICs check for firearms purchases in Texas.

Information for the News Media
Public Information Office
(512) 424-2080

February 19, 1998

Texas, Arkansas establish concealed handgun license reciprocity

Arkansans with concealed handgun licenses issued by their home state now can legally carry concealed handguns in Texas, and vice versa.

Col. Dudley M. Thomas, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, signed a reciprocity agreement with the State of Arkansas through which licensees can legally cross that state line with their concealed handguns.

"This agreement will allow licensed Texans to travel freely in our neighboring state of Arkansas while enjoying the same or similar privileges their licenses give them at home," Thomas said.

This reciprocity agreement - the first Texas has reached with another state - was made possible by 1997 changes to the state's concealed handgun law.

When the law first was passed in 1995, reciprocity would have been allowed only with states whose standards for receiving a license was at least as stringent as Texas'. Since Texas' law requires more extensive training and background checks than most others, no reciprocity agreements were negotiated.

However, the Texas Legislature revised the law in 1997 making reciprocity agreements possible as long as other states' laws meet the federal requirements for purchasing a handgun.

"We are working with several other states –– especially our close neighbors –– to establish more reciprocity agreements," Thomas said. "But Texans should remember that weapons laws vary from state to state."

Before traveling, license holders should educate themselves about laws in other states that govern where and when they can legally carry their concealed handguns.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:33:48 AM EST
I think the issue is whether his Arkansas License is still valid now that he is legally a Texas resident.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:38:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By clikclikpull:

I would send a email to Texas DPS RSD (choose Concealed Handgun Program) http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/contact.htm

If you no longer have a AR Driver's License my guess is no, but I have been given conflicting info from the state...so get it in writing.

If you weren't already aware, in most cases it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle without a CHL. Might be an option until you can get the license. Read http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

This is probably the best case.

When I moved here I clarified with Texas AND Utah before I tried to carry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:38:51 AM EST
Would I need to take the 8 to 10 hour class or could I transfer it to a Texas license. I found out after I had taken the Arkansas CCW class that I could have transferred my Texas CCW license without the need for the class. Coming back to Texas I wonder if I could transfer my Arkansas CCW to a Texas CCW.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:44:06 AM EST
I think the issue is whether his Arkansas License is still valid now that he is legally a Texas resident.

Yes, Or can I relinquish the Arkansas License in exchange for a Texas license.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:17:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 7:17:42 AM EST by clikclikpull]

Would I need to take the 8 to 10 hour class or could I transfer it to a Texas license. I found out after I had taken the Arkansas CCW class that I could have transferred my Texas CCW license without the need for the class. Coming back to Texas I wonder if I could transfer my Arkansas CCW to a Texas CCW.

You must take a 10hr minimum Texas CHL class from a TXDPS certified instructor (and the class has to be taught in Texas) in order to get the Texas CHL. I'm not aware of an way to transfer a license from another state...could be wrong. You really should talk to the DPS...they are the experts on the subject and are very good about responding to emails.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:37:25 AM EST

You must take a 10hr minimum Texas CHL class from a TXDPS certified instructor (and the class has to be taught in Texas) in order to get the Texas CHL. I'm not aware of an way to transfer a license from another state...could be wrong. You really should talk to the DPS...they are the experts on the subject and are very good about responding to emails.

Ok I will check in with them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:52:06 AM EST

I believe you are correct. No license "transfers" like for driver's license... you have to take the class to get the TX CHL regardless of having a current or previous CHL from another state.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:59:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 9:13:21 AM EST by LuckyDucky]

A smidgen of research yielded me these statutes.

Arkansas Statutes:

§5-73-312. Revocation.
(a) (1) A license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this subchapter
shall be revoked if the licensee becomes ineligible under the criteria set forth in
§ 5-73-308(a) or § 5-73-309.

§5-73-309. License — Requirements.
The Director of the Department of Arkansas State Police shall issue a license to
carry a concealed handgun if the applicant:
(2) (A) Is a resident of the state and has been a resident continuously for
ninety (90) days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.

If OP is a resident of Texas, he is no longer licensed to carry in Arkansas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:27:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:

Arkansas Statutes:

§5-73-312. Revocation.
shall be revoked if the licensee becomes ineligible under the criteria set forth in

The Director of the Department of Arkansas State Police shall issue a license to

Unless you missed a section for non resident licenses.

OP, I am a CHL Instructor. There is no provision to transfer an out of state license. Must apply as a new licensee.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:27:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By txinvestigator:

Arkansas Statutes:

§5-73-312. Revocation.

OP, I am a CHL Instructor. There is no provision to transfer an out of state license. Must apply as a new licensee.

http://www.asp.arkansas.gov/divisions/rs/pdf/CHCL_statutes_effective%2008012011.pdf

Have at it. Their statutes on carry take up 4 pages.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:24:07 PM EST

Arkansas Statutes:

§5-73-312. Revocation.

http://www.asp.arkansas.gov/divisions/rs/pdf/CHCL_statutes_effective%2008012011.pdf

Have at it. Their statutes on carry take up 4 pages.

Lol. Don't care enough. I do know that Texas in state and out of state residency requirements are in different sections of the Government Code in 411 (h).

Happy Thanksgiving
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:18:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 9:22:33 PM EST by clikclikpull]

Arkansas Statutes:

§5-73-312. Revocation.

So are you saying when you have a resident License then move out of state it automatically becomes a non-resident License? That would be entirely too logical (and tax free) to be true

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:24:59 AM EST

Arkansas Statutes:

§5-73-312. Revocation.

So are you saying when you have a resident License then move out of state it automatically becomes a non-resident License? That would be entirely too logical (and tax free) to be true

If you are referring to a TEXAS CHL, then yes, as long as the licensee reports the address change as required.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:02:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 7:05:22 AM EST by bchapman]
As an Arkansas resident who moved to Texas, I got it confirmed that carrying on my Arkansas CHL is good to go. When I moved back to Arkansas, it was prior to the expiration of my Ark CHL –– I received a renewal notice from the ASP. Renewed my CHL with no troubles - despite being a TX resident for a few years –– when I surrendered my AR DL my CHL did not revoke.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:17:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By bchapman:
As an Arkansas resident who moved to Texas, I got it confirmed that carrying on my Arkansas CHL is good to go. When I moved back to Arkansas, it was prior to the expiration of my Ark CHL –– I received a renewal notice from the ASP. Renewed my CHL with no troubles - despite being a TX resident for a few years –– when I surrendered my AR DL my CHL did not revoke.

Confirmed by who?

I'm not saying it isn't possible but I tend to be wary when deciding on interpretations of these laws.

Also, if AR never finds out you became a non resident, then obviously, they will never revoke your CHL.

How Texas treats your AR CHL is not really dependent on how Arkansas does.
Top Top