Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 8:39:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 8:15:14 PM EDT by tfod]
Arizona best gun store rating thread for Arizona.

The first part of the thread I just want nominations of stores. Nominations should look like this:

Name (city)

Guns & Bras (Mesa)

Please limit nominations to your five favorite stores. When we have a solid lot of nominations I will make a new post to rate the stores. This will keep the data organized.

Just to keep the rating system in the back of your min, here is the system:

-2 terrible
-1 bad
-0 neutral
+1 good
+2 excellent

All –2 and +2 votes will require a brief explanation of the rational for the extreme vote at the end of the post, for example:

Guns & Bras (Mesa) +2

Uber Tactical (Higley) +1

Guns & Bras only hires hooters girls and have $5 dollar ffl transfers.

(votes from non-AZ members will NOT be counted)

But for right now please nominate your five favorite gun stores:
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:48:34 PM EDT
... Cavalry Arms Corporation +2

... Arizona Expert Arms +2

... Sportsman's Warehouse +1

... Pistol Parlor +1

... Robar Company +1
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:52:49 PM EDT

Thank you – but please save the time on the votes because once we have a list there will be numerous stores to vote on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:53:19 PM EDT
Big Bore (Phoenix) -2 Gordon Phallus is a big whore and with the personality of Frankenstein. He rips people off and is a little too proud of his 1911s.

1911 Heaven (Chandler) would have gotten the same score if they were still around.

Arizona Sportsman (Mesa ) -2 High prices, lousy customer service, a shell of what they used to be, and the salespeople (if you can get them to help you) lie their asses off.

Pistol Parlour (Mesa) +1 They are close to a plus 2, but not quite there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:55:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 8:01:13 AM EDT by ghengiskhabb]
Tucson

Dimondback Tactical +1 --- Only because I haven't bought anything major from them, then they might be a +2

Murphy's +1 --- Same as above

J-Mart (Arizona Sportsman) -1 ---- Good for unloading your crap on consignment, otherwise haven't found a use for them.

J+G +2 --- Good for bulk and low end stuff, good salesmen also.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:32:06 AM EDT
JG Sales +2 tons of stuff, great deals

Sportsmans Warehouse (Phoenix) +2 tons of stuff, great deals

Ameetec (Chandler) +2 huge AR selection, great prices and service

Scottsdale Gun Club (Scottsdale) 0 great selection, good customer service, too expensive

AZEX (Mesa) +2 I don't think they have their store front done yet but their quality of work and pricing are great
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:58:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mylhouse:
Big Bore (Phoenix) -2 Gordon Phallus is a big whore and with the personality of Frankenstein. He rips people off and is a little too proud of his 1911s.

1911 Heaven (Chandler) would have gotten the same score if they were still around.

Arizona Sportsman (Mesa ) -2 High prices, lousy customer service, a shell of what they used to be, and the salespeople (if you can get them to help you) lie their asses off.

Pistol Parlour (Mesa) +1 They are close to a plus 2, but not quite there.

Whatever happened to that guy hack?

I always thought of him as Burgermeister Meisterburger from that XMas show.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:05:31 PM EDT
Scottsdale Gun Club (Scottsdale) -2 sky high prices above MSRP and lousy customer service

Bear Arms (Scottsdale) +2 very friendly staff always willing to let you look, large inventory of firearms both new and used, stock most common ammo in bulk. When I first bought my SAR-1 the owner of all people suggested I use brake cleaner to get the cosmoline off. Well the cosmoline stripped the finish. I went back in to buy some magazines and the manager gave me the magazines for free after I told him what happened. He was very sorry and offered to exchange the gun even.

American Spirit Arms (Scottsdale) +1 only place around me where I can get small AR parts, and usually for free

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:32:57 PM EDT
Where is guns and bras?

Havent been there yet.

This is a made up store isnt it...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:34:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 4:36:09 PM EDT by mjrowley]

Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:

... Pistol Parlor +1

... Robar Company +1

Dont know robar.

Add

MCTLTD +2

PREBANS +2

AMEETEC +2

THe reson for the + 2 is great guys! Trust them like a brother
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:57:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjrowley:

... Pistol Parlor +1

... Robar Company +1

Dont know robar.

Add

MCTLTD +2

PREBANS +2

AMEETEC +2

... +1 on your +2's
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:30:45 PM EDT
Ameetec +2, Great products and customer service.
J&G +1
Scottsdale Gunclub 0 prices are to high but then again there are plenty of people willing to pay it.
Other then those its just gunshows.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:38:18 PM EDT
Guns Plus (Surprise)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:54:26 PM EDT

... Pistol Parlor +1

... Robar Company +1

Dont know robar.

Add

MCTLTD +2

PREBANS +2

AMEETEC +2

... +1 on your +2's

Cavalry Arms Corporation +2

Arizona Expert Arms +2

MCTLTD +2

PREBANS +2

AMEETEC +2

Are all now +3's
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:54:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AZGunnut:
Guns Plus (Surprise)

Cross streets?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:33:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tfod:

Thank you – but please save the time on the votes because once we have a list there will be numerous stores to vote on.

Good lord, can't people read ?

Here are my nominations (NO RATING - I can read):

Pistol Parlor
Shooters World
Sportsmans Warehouse
Ameetec
WalMart
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:39:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:

Pistol Parlor
Shooters World
Sportsmans Warehouse
Ameetec
WalMart

UH, first we are told to put scores, in his own example he puts scores on the store names, then we are told to save time and not put scores. So we can read, its just hard to make sense of conflicting information.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:49:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dace:

Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:

Pistol Parlor
Shooters World
Sportsmans Warehouse
Ameetec
WalMart

UH, first we are told to put scores, in his own example he puts scores on the store names, then we are told to save time and not put scores. So we can read, [blue]its just hard to make sense of conflicting information.

.. Yeah, kinda like the Tucson Friday night get-together August 6th thread huh?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:42:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 9:34:19 AM EDT by tfod]
I’m just gathering data to make the vote sheets. The score info was just there to give people a heads up on what to expect- but it isn't going to hurt anyone.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:05:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:17:46 AM EDT
GLENDALE

LONE WOLF GUNS
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:03:25 AM EDT
Pistol Parlor in Mesa +1 Decent prices, friendly staff, good selection-*good selection & prices on used guns

Arizona Tactical in Tempe +2 Okay prices, super friendly staff, great service, okay selection-*accepts shipments from individuals

Shooting Star in Tempe 0 friendly staff, decent prices, poor selection*a little more inventory and these guys would be great

Mesa Gun Shop in Mesa+1 Friendly staff (crusty old dudes), decent selection, decent prices, all the dust you want for free*old school guns shop at it's finest-a sampling of Americana

Bear Mountain in Mesa 0 Freindly staff, okay selection, okay prices*hunting shop w/ occasional bargain on used defensive guns

Bear Arms in Scottsdale +2 Friendly staff, great selection, decent prices*you will always find something you like at a decent price

Scottsdale gun center 0 Great prices, decent selection, poor service*if they got decent help, it would be a great shop

Guns Etc. in Chandler -1 Grumpy owner/gunsmith, fair selection, fair prices*owner has a unfriendly attitude and talks down to people

AZ Sportsman in Mesa 0 Good selection, poor prices, friendly staff*they are 5 miles from Pistol Parlor and are $50-100 more across the board
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:16:56 PM EDT
+2+ Cavalry Arms there should be a +3 for these guys
+2+ for Warren ( Ameetec )

I know AZEX Arms isn't technically a "gun store" but a solid +2+ for the gang at AZEX for everything.

+2+ for the Pistol Parlour for realizing AR shooters needs and responding and an extra + just for Marylin

+1 for Mesa Gunshop....it's just one of those cool places

+1 for Guns Etc. because that mean old bastard gunsmith makes me laugh and he does good work.

-2 for the Arizona Sportsman.....I know a bit of stuff behind the Sportsman's woes and it is a real shame....I can only imagine that they are near rock bottom....they just plain SUCK.

-1 for Bear Mountain....it's like they caught a whiff of some of what AZ Sportsman was smoking out of their crack pipe
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 1:22:53 PM EDT by Maggoteer]
Glockmeister (mesa)

BTW, when this is done, i think it should definitely get stickied.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 1:27:07 PM EDT by mindtrix]

Originally Posted By desertmoon:
+2+ Cavalry Arms there should be a +3 for these guys
+2+ for Warren ( Ameetec )

I know AZEX Arms isn't technically a "gun store" but a solid +2+ for the gang at AZEX for everything.

+2+ for the Pistol Parlour for realizing AR shooters needs and responding and an extra + just for Marylin

+1 for Mesa Gunshop....it's just one of those cool places

+1 for Guns Etc. because that mean old bastard gunsmith makes me laugh and he does good work.

-2 for the Arizona Sportsman.....I know a bit of stuff behind the Sportsman's woes and it is a real shame....I can only imagine that they are near rock bottom....they just plain SUCK.

-1 for Bear Mountain....it's like they caught a whiff of some of what AZ Sportsman was smoking out of their crack pipe

You can't be serious about Mesa Gun Shop... the bitch in the back room behind the counter tried to tell me that I couldn't have a rifle sent to them without it being sent through an FFL and told me she would charge me $50 for the transfer... Yeah fucking right.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 2:00:03 PM EDT by tfod]
Ameetec

American Spirit Arms

Arizona Expert Arms

Arizona Sportsman (Mesa )

Arizona Tactical (Tempe)

Bear Arms (Scottsdale)

Bear Mountain (Mesa)

Big Bore

Cavalry Arms Corporation

Dimondback Tactical

Glockmeister

Guns Etc.

Guns Plus (Surprise)

J+G

J-Mart (Arizona Sportsman Tucson)

Lone Wolf Guns

MCLTD

Mesa Gun Shop

Murphy's

Pistol Parlor

Prebans

Robar Company

Scottsdale Gun Club

Scottsdale Gun Center

Shooters World

Shooting Star

Wal-mart

The nomination list at a glance.

We’ll keep nominations open for another day- then I’ll make a final sheet like this so folks and cut and paste with their votes next to it.

To be fair- how do you all feel about accepting votes from people who registered in August 2005- forward? This will prevent “trolling” accounts because of the poll.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:24:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ihon:

Guns Etc. in Chandler -1 Grumpy owner/gunsmith, fair selection, fair prices*owner has a unfriendly attitude and talks down to people

-2 Guy can be a real pr!k. Personally I like to go in to gun stores and "look around" if I see something cool that I have been wanting and it's priced right, I'll buy it. Otherwise I'm just looking. To him this is just wasting his time. I usally end up buying something somewhere when I get the "look around" bug. Now I don't even "look around" there. Plus he charges you 3% to use a credit card. That's kind of a cost of doing business thing. The grocery store doesn't tack on 3% when you buy your gallon of milk with a cc. I'm sure they have worked it in to the price somewhere, they just don't cram it down your throat.

I've heard the smith is pretty good, I just can't deal with the owner behind the counter.
Just my $.02
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:09:28 PM EDT
How about sportsman's warehouse? Great selection of weapons.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:10:39 PM EDT

Guns Plus (Surprise)

Still waiting for cross streets
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:20:26 AM EDT
I think Guns Plus is around the Dysart/West Bell Road area.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:10:12 PM EDT
+2 for lone wolf!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:32:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dawes:
I think Guns Plus is around the Dysart/West Bell Road area.

OK ill look for it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:53:46 PM EDT
Shooting Star- Some great employees who have made me some great holsters/mag pouches, although one just quit, decent prices, but as mentioned before don’t have much inventory

Shooters World- Friendly staff, good selection and some good deals

Lone Wolf Guns- Friendly staff including hot chick, good prices and decent selection

Randalls- Friendly staff and always have plenty of blazer .22 which I have been buying for years

Scottsdale Gun Club- Employees are hit and miss, but they obviously have the sweetest selection although I could never afford any of it.

Will put ratings later
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:55:18 PM EDT
Meant to ask has anyone been to the gun shop on Glendale just west of 67th ave??? Not much to look at and near a scary ass convince store
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:38:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Crzy_One:
Meant to ask has anyone been to the gun shop on Glendale just west of 67th ave??? Not much to look at and near a scary ass convince store

Nope, drive by it a lot, but never been in.

On the west side, I like Randall's and Lone Wolf.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:46:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 4:48:31 AM EDT by Winston_Wolf]

Originally Posted By fgc:

Originally Posted By ihon:

-2 Guy can be a real pr!k. Personally I like to go in to gun stores and "look around" if I see something cool that I have been wanting and it's priced right, I'll buy it. Otherwise I'm just looking. To him this is just wasting his time. I usally end up buying something somewhere when I get the "look around" bug. Now I don't even "look around" there. Plus he charges you 3% to use a credit card. That's kind of a cost of doing business thing. The grocery store doesn't tack on 3% when you buy your gallon of milk with a cc. I'm sure they have worked it in to the price somewhere, they just don't cram it down your throat.

I've heard the smith is pretty good, I just can't deal with the owner behind the counter.
Just my $.02

... many years ago I actually befriended Ron. He used to get me some wares at quite reasonable rates - the best I could find anywhere at the time. Kinda reminded me of old "Fat Bob" of ASA. Didn't have any patience for tire-kickers and window-shoppers - not an attitude you wanna project if you plan on staying in business. But oddly both "grumps" have had doors open longer than just about anyone I know in the Valley other than Clyde & Marylin. I finally had a falling out with him years ago when a "supposed" gunsmith working for him butchered my Colt Gold Cup and he wouldn't make good on it. Was some of the crappiest work on a pistol I had ever seen, Ron wouldn't even look at the abortion. Good riddance.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:15:39 AM EDT
I keep hearing how the owner (or former owner) of American Spirit Arms was a flaming assbag. Never been in that particular store, but anyone here have any experiences with him? I see ASA at all the Crossroads shows, but don't know much about their products/customer service.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:58:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dawes:
I keep hearing how the owner (or former owner) of American Spirit Arms was a flaming assbag. Never been in that particular store, but anyone here have any experiences with him? I see ASA at all the Crossroads shows, but don't know much about their products/customer service.

that is a confirmed IS on all counts.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:31:30 PM EDT

Guns Plus (Surprise)

Still waiting for cross streets

Sorry I can only get on the forums after work

They are on Dysart just North of Grand in the little strip mall! There you happy now
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:20:42 PM EDT
yap!

thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:08:52 PM EDT
+2 for aj's in apache junction (meridian and apache trail)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:12:23 AM EDT
+2 for

Arizona Tactical Firearms, LLC
1809 East Baseline Road
Tempe, AZ 85283
Ph: 480-752-9200

Great guys and very easy to talk to. Will get you anything you want. They have a place for you sit sit down and relax or shoot the breeze with friends. All in all a class act!

azski
Top Top