Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2011 11:58:10 AM EDT
I've called shooters-vault, shooters world, lone wolf. I can't find anyone that carriers uppers. Shootersvault had a couple RRA's but I'm looking for anything on the mid to high end side for my upper I'm not looking for some run of the mill bullshit. I need to throw together a complete AR by tomorrow or the next day and I have to buy all the parts locally because I can't wait for shipping. I'm think I'm going to run to AGP for the lower receiver and LPK tomorrow and shootersworld for the furniture if they have it because it will be on the way home. It looks like the only thing I will have trouble getting is my upper, anyone have some suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont wait till the last second?

You already checked the places i would think of.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read numerous nut hugger posts about this place.  From his seemingly spotless reputation and the rifles I've seen, I'd say he's one of the most knowledgeable on AR15s in Phoenix as far as custom shops go.

AZ Armory

Looks like he focuses on Billet but his prices still seem pretty good.  He's offering a billet lower with NM 2 stage trigger and parts kit for $245 right now.  I may have to pick one up.  I'm sure he's got plenty of uppers too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Merchant firearms, AJI, Coleman Tyler, Arizona Armory.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've read numerous nut hugger posts about this place.  From his seemingly spotless reputation and the rifles I've seen, I'd say he's one of the most knowledgeable on AR15s in Phoenix as far as custom shops go.

AZ Armory

Looks like he focuses on Billet but his prices still seem pretty good.  He's offering a billet lower with NM 2 stage trigger and parts kit for $245 right now.  I may have to pick one up.  I'm sure he's got plenty of uppers too.

Except Jeff only runs his shop by appointment only and sometimes he takes a couple of days to respond.

edit: I just called merchant they don't have anything either, I'm still making calls. Dam I can't give my money away.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Jeff is a good guy though - he probably has what you want.  If you HAVE to have it now now now, call SGC for one thing.  Try Pistol Parlour in Tempe - they occasionally have uppers and lowers (usually Sun Devil).  AGP may have them in stock.  If it's super critical and you can't find one locally, I'm sure any number of good arfcom sponsors would overnight you one.  BCM, Rainier, AIM, PK, etc all have overnight shipping options last I checked.

ETA:  Try Quentin Defense in Gilber too, since they mill their own stuff.

ETA2:  SGC purports to have 4 Vltor MURs in stock right now... http://sgcusa.com/ar-15-components-3/upper-receivers/vltor-modular-upper-receiver.html

Just curious - if you're planning to assemble yourself a high quality upper in the next 24 hours, who you getting a barrel from??? If you want an assembled high end upper, SGC has what you want, but you're gonna pay through the nose for a Noveske, POF, etc.  You really should just order one from BCM and pay the extra shipping.  You'll still save a boatload over buying locally.  But maybe you already have the bbl since you don't mention that.  If it's just the upper, I've always thought the Vltor MURs were kind of cool, but some don't like the blocky look of them.  They're not for everybody. IMO the ones Quentin puts out look similar to the MUR.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Jeff is a good guy though - he probably has what you want.  If you HAVE to have it now now now, call SGC for one thing.  Try Pistol Parlour in Tempe - they occasionally have uppers and lowers (usually Sun Devil).  AGP may have them in stock.  If it's super critical and you can't find one locally, I'm sure any number of good arfcom sponsors would overnight you one.  BCM, Rainier, AIM, PK, etc all have overnight shipping options last I checked.  

ETA:  Try Quentin Defense in Gilber too, since they mill their own stuff.

ETA2:  SGC purports to have 4 Vltor MURs in stock right now... http://sgcusa.com/ar-15-components-3/upper-receivers/vltor-modular-upper-receiver.html

Just curious - if you're planning to assemble yourself a high quality upper in the next 24 hours, who you getting a barrel from??? If you want an assembled high end upper, SGC has what you want, but you're gonna pay through the nose for a Noveske, POF, etc.  You really should just order one from BCM and pay the extra shipping.  You'll still save a boatload over buying locally.

I'm glad you came in here, its for a buddy of mine who is coming in town for a few days. He shot my custom built last time he was in town and fell in love he asked me to throw something together similar just today at the last second. I want a complete upper to save time, he comes in tomorrow and I have to leave for class a few hours after we were going to try to throw one together in the time in between.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I just called pistol parlour, they have spikes complete uppers for 499.00 that's not bad.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want a complete upper, I'd just call AGP or Jeff over at AZ Armory.  They'll probably give you the best deal, though it will be fairly standard stuff.  I _think_ AGP uses DPMS barrels and parts for their complete uppers, although I could be remembering that incorrectly. Better to call and ask  But they sell more stripped lowers than anything, so they usually have complete uppers hanging around at least.  SGC has a metric shit ton of complete uppers for sale, but you will pay a higher price.  That said, they do stock Noveske, POF, etc. which are all very nice. Just $$$$
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I just called pistol parlour, they have spikes complete uppers for 499.00 that's not bad.

I'd do that.  Spikes makes a good product and is reasonably priced.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
You could also give Quentin Defense a shot as well.  They usually have a few built uppers in their shop.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You could also give Quentin Defense a shot as well.  They usually have a few built uppers in their shop.

I'm going to go with that spikes, I will remember Quentin though if they sell out before I get there.
But I have bad news slanky! AGP is out of lowers for 2 weeks!!! Maybe I will grab him a punisher lower at shootersworld or something then. Or if they have a sun devil at Pistol Parlour I'll nab that.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to go with that spikes, I will remember Quentin though if they sell out before I get there.
But I have bad news slanky! AGP is out of lowers for 2 weeks!!! Maybe I will grab him a punisher lower at shootersworld or something then. Or if they have a sun devil at Pistol Parlour I'll nab that.

AGP's supply is hit or miss since they're so small.  I never expect to walk in and see them in stock  Although, for a lower, go up to SGC - they have the Firebird lowers on sale for Father's Day for uhh $103.95 I think?  Let me see if I can find it.... Oh hell they lowered it again $92.40 ea.  They have 24 in stock.  

Never used one, but that's a good price and they looked fine when I've seen them over there.  I do like the firebird logo on the side  I'm surprised nobody in AZ uses one for their rollmark.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Call Cavalry Manufacturing, they might have some 480-833-9685

I had no idea cavalry was still open.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Talked to AGP last week.  Gotta get your name down on a list because they sell their lowers so fast.

I did not notice SGC's lower.  That is pretty sweet.  Who makes it for them?  
Next question, what Spike's uppers does Pistol Parlour have?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
What about ASA (American Spirit Arms) in N Scottsdale?
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Talked to AGP last week.  Gotta get your name down on a list because they sell their lowers so fast.

Next question, what Spike's uppers does Pistol Parlour have?

They didn't specify when I called. I'm just going to buy whatever they have on stock, spikes is normally good stuff.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's not an SGC lower - they just sell them.  Made by Firebird Precision Firearms out of NM.  For $92.40 it's the cheapest deal I know of currently in the valley for a stripped lower.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

AZ Armory

Except Jeff only runs his shop by appointment only and sometimes he takes a couple of days to respond.

edit: I just called merchant they don't have anything either, I'm still making calls. Dam I can't give my money away.

Coleman-Tyler...he is a certified Gun Smith and AR nut...he probably has one depending on length..twist ...or HOGAN GUNS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I ended up getting the BCG, charging handle, and upper at shooterworld, all spikes because it was the cheapest at 599.00 for all 3. The upper came with some run of the mill hand guards on it, the guy I'm building it for wanted OD gear so I promised him I would krylon it.  

We also picked up an RRA lower parts kit while we were there for 75.00, not the best price in the world but we were already there and I know the RRA LPKS perform well. The LPK came with a standard black pistol grip, I plan on kryloning that to OD as well.

Grabbed the MOE butt stock there as well, can't remember what we paid for that.

The Upper came with a buffer, so I just bought the cheapest buffer tube and buffer spring they had on stock I think they were around 13 bucks each. Also bough the castle nut there for a few bucks.

We searched and searched for decent price optics in AZ and couldn't come up with anything. There was cheap optics online but I wanted to buy everything locally for this one.

So at this point I had everything except the lower and an optic, I wanted the firebird lower from Scottsdale Gun Club so I called the make sure they had it and I listened to a million prompts before I just finally pressed 0 for operator, I told her what I wanted and she put me back on hold... WTF. So I checked their online inventory it said they had 12 left at only 52 bucks each!!!! So I got in my car and hauled ass down there. But by the time I got there they were sold out. They had Eotechs 512's for 400.00 bucks so I nabbed one of those.

I walked next door to US auto weapons and they only had one lower some Colt for 500.00 !!!!!! They guy there told me to check out ASA (American Spirit Arms) and he gave me the worst directions in the world to get there.... I ended up called directory and asking for an address then winging my way there.

I got to ASA and as soon as I entered the store I was impressed, not a single mall ninja for as far as the eye could see and everyone seemed knowledgeable. So pretty much the exact opposite of SGC. They had some nice products and everything for the most part was made by them here locally I loved it. I ended up picking up an Aero Precision lower from them for 79.00. A good price.

So I'm all set up and ready to build the beast, the guy I'm building it for wants to watch me do it so he can learn. When I'm finished I'll get some pics up.

I just dumped a bunch of money into the AZ economy, woohoo!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Was going to post about SGC putting the Firebirds on a fire sale today.  They still had 24 last night... no warning was given but yeah they dropped them to 52 bucks today and they were sold out within minutes.  I thought about ordering one online, but I really have enough stripped lowers already for future builds.  Never been to ASA but have heard decent things about them.  I'll have to check them out sometime.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Was going to post about SGC putting the Firebirds on a fire sale today.  They still had 24 last night... no warning was given but yeah they dropped them to 52 bucks today and they were sold out within minutes.  I thought about ordering one online, but I really have enough stripped lowers already for future builds.  Never been to ASA but have heard decent things about them.  I'll have to check them out sometime.

It's fucking awesome. They have a nice decal too, it looks better on an AR.

SGC really didn't impress me. The guy behind the counter took 10 minutes to get me the Eotech and was lost as hell when I asked him about lowers. I also asked him if they had a hand guard removal tool he said they didn't carry it but I could take my rifle to their gunsmith if I wanted too.......... I told him no I would just use my hands the tool just makes it a bit easier it doesnt take a fun smith to take hand guards off, then he replied "suit your self" WTF..?

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I forgot to say ASA makes their own version of the gunfighter and it looks and feels nicer. Its probably a copy right infringement so get them while they last!
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

SGC really didn't impress me. The guy behind the counter took 10 minutes to get me the Eotech and was lost as hell when I asked him about lowers. I also asked him if they had a hand guard removal tool he said they didn't carry it but I could take my rifle to their gunsmith if I wanted too.......... I told him no I would just use my hands the tool just makes it a bit easier it doesnt take a fun smith to take hand guards off, then he replied "suit your self" WTF..?

I hear ya.  It really depends who you get at SGC.  Some of the guys are decently knowledgeable, but they have fairly high turnover from what I've seen given their size.  I think what he meant by taking it to their smith is that he'd just take off the handguards for you right then without charging you.  Their onsite smith is right back by their platinum room or whatever they call it. They've offered to do small stuff like that for me in the past without charging me anything.  But I keep all my own tools as I generally don't want anybody else futzing with my weapons :-)   Also the smith area back there has most small AR parts that they don't keep up front, so if you need a castle nut or something, they generally have them back there.  I like SGC for their inventory, the dedicated smith, their awesome range, etc.  But it can be frustrating when they're busy.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is the finished product, were taking this sucker out to break it in.

The hand guard and pistol grip are krlyloned.
I built this one by memory and when I was finished I the disconnector spring was sitting on the table still and for the life of me I could not remember where to put it. I had to look it up dammit!

Yes it looks like 50 other AR's you have seen but this one is for a friend and its his first AR that he got to hand pick the parts and help build it he is very happy with it.

I also had a lot of trouble putting the front pivot pin in this time for some reason, I think the spring had more tension this time then it did last time.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like a great shooter...good job on the build!
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Out of 2 Spikes lowers I've built only one had a hard time with the pivot pin and take down pins. It was a Spikes LPK, super tight. Would actually have to take Chamber flag to push it through.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Out of 2 Spikes lowers I've built only one had a hard time with the pivot pin and take down pins. It was a Spikes LPK, super tight. Would actually have to take Chamber flag to push it through.

It's an Aero lower with an RRA parts kit.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Lol funny cuz my RRA LPK was perfect all round.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#33]
What was the final cost on that puppy?  Just the gun?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Just the gun, about 900. I could have done it a lot cheaper but we built it all in town, some parts are cheaper online.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#35]
The help at SGC is usually good, but my friend and I went. He asked if they had any 7.62x39 AR15 mags. The guy kept trying to get him to buy AK47 mags.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The help at SGC is usually good, but my friend and I went. He asked if they had any 7.62x39 AR15 mags. The guy kept trying to get him to buy AK47 mags.

Hahaha oh noo. Doesn't C products make really good 7.62x39 mags?
The other customers there were annoying the fuck out of me too. I was
there to buy a 400 dollar optic and a 50 dollar lower, I walked straight
in and told the store clerk what I wanted, I didn't want to bullshit or
talk about mall ninja shit like the Glock bayonet I was there to make a
fucking purchase and I expected to be treated like a paying customer.
Instead he helped the 4 guys who weren't buying anything and then he
helped me. Which is really not a good business tactic because I spend
money at gun stores and they really made me never want to go back there.

It seems like more and more I have had to black wall what could be a
good business with good products and good prices because their customer
service sucks.

I would go back to American Spirit Arms any day though, the guy knew I
wanted to buy and made me a priority. He didn't try to sugar coat
anything and he answered all my questions honestly and knowledgeably. He
was polite the during the whole transaction and the store was clean and
organized.

If you ever get a chance to head that way ASA is a store that should be
visited. Their lowers look great my next build will be with one of
theirs.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Hahaha oh noo. Doesn't C products make really good 7.62x39 mags?

The other customers there were annoying the fuck out of me too. I was there to buy a 400 dollar optic and a 50 dollar lower, I walked straight in and told the store clerk what I wanted, I didn't want to bullshit or talk about mall ninja shit like the Glock bayonet I was there to make a fucking purchase and I expected to be treated like a paying customer. Instead he helped the 4 guys who weren't buying anything and then he helped me. Which is really not a good business tactic because I spend money at gun stores and they really made me never want to go back there.

C-Products is out of business. See the magazine forum for gory details.

So let me get this straight... 4 others were there ahead of you, and because you wanted to make a purchase, they should just immediately jump to you first, potentially pissing off 4 customers who were already standing around waiting to be helped?  I get that you already knew what you wanted and were ready to buy, and yes I know the annoying types of gun store gear finger fuckers you're talking about who probably won't actually BUY anything that day, but I can't exactly fault SGC for having to prioritize customers in order they show up asking for assistance.  They're popular and usually that means waiting to be helped *shrug*
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just the gun, about 900. I could have done it a lot cheaper but we built it all in town, some parts are cheaper online.

That's pretty good though and it sounds like you used all quality parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top