Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2004 7:09:35 AM EDT
Well folks, only two weeks after deciding to start my own law firm I've already got a pretty full plate of legal work, and a couple of cases that really demand my full attention.  This morning I shook hands with everyone at the pawnshop, and they said if things don't work out I can always go back there.  That was nice.  So, no more idiotic pawnshop stories, and no you won't be hearing any idiotic lawyer stories in the future--keeping secrets is now officially a big part of my job description.  

On the other hand, this means I can make the next MODCC shoot!  Lets hope I can make a living at this...[
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Duke, that is awesome to hear that you are starting to use your Lawyer trait to make some $$.  I am very happy things are improving for you.  Stay in touch, Bud.

oz
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
congrats. i know you will pull it off.  if there is anything i can do to help you know my number and email. i will gladly do what i can. Ronald
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
congrats. i know you will pull it off.  if there is anything i can do to help you know my number and email. i will gladly do what i can. Ronald

Just keep my Elite II oiled, as long as work keeps coming in the door I may be able to get it back from you someday soon!  For right now, I just need to get my head above water financially, if I can just get square with my bills it'll be a big improvement over my current situation.

Right now I'm spending some quality time with Quickbooks Pro.  I may charge $75 an hour but at least you're gonna get a professional looking invoice!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#4]
dont worry i only shot , one mag thru it. had to test functiuon. she is yours when you want her back you know if you want rid of that mak 90 you got we might work some type of deal and you pay me back in instalments.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Haha, the MAK 90 is safely in lay-a-way at the shop.  I still owe something like $280 on it, and it will be awhile before I can pay it off.  

On the other hand, I did buy something from the pawnshop yesterday.  Morgan has known for awhile exactly what kind of wedding ring she wants, they have them at Zales for $350 (before taxes, extended warranties, maintenance plans, etc.), its white gold with alternating diamonds and sapphires, to match her engagement ring which is white gold with a big sapphire in the middle flanked by a diamond on each side.  Turns out we had one at the pawnshop, exact same thing, some college girl broke up with her fiancee' and sold it outright.  Yesterday I plunked down $100 cash and got a ten-dollar bill back in change.

The funny part is, Morgan can't wait to tell my brother what I paid for her ring.  When he got engaged some years ago he sold all his stock in a computer company to spend $3000 on a ring.  Six months later the computer co. got bought out by a larger co. and their stock split, which would have doubled his money had he held onto the stock.  Ooopsie!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well folks, only two weeks after deciding to start my own law firm I've already got a pretty full plate of legal work, and a couple of cases that really demand my full attention.  This morning I shook hands with everyone at the pawnshop, and they said if things don't work out I can always go back there.  That was nice.  So, no more idiotic pawnshop stories, and no you won't be hearing any idiotic lawyer stories in the future--keeping secrets is now officially a big part of my job description.  

On the other hand, this means I can make the next MODCC shoot!  Lets hope I can make a living at this...[

Sure you can't tell idiotic client stories... if they are your clients! However stories heard while in court are fair game. So if you happen to pick up any as a uninterested third party be sure to let us know.

Once again congrats!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to make some money and become famous from lawyerin', write a book about the stories you hear in voir dire.  They will run the spectrum from , "Holy Cow, don't say that in open court", to hilarious, sad, confusing, and so boring you will wish for early death.

Oh yea, I almost forgot - you just slid down the rung another notch - I think the hierarchy is something like student, garbage man, Stop n Rob clerk, pawnshop flunkee, pawnshop owner, used car saleman, lawyer, and finally, politician.  Watch out for that last step, it's pretty much fatal.

It's good to hear that your business is building quickly.  I think your plan for keeping your overhead down is excellent; we could probably use more modest lawyers without an impending boat or alimony payment.
Link Posted: 5/15/2004 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad to hear it is all coming together for you Duke. I guess this means no more "free internet forum" legal?
You're gonna do great.

Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top