Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2003 9:00:46 PM EDT
No, your not gettin' off that easy.
It is "officially" being renamed to "OVI" for Operating a Vehicle under the Influence, that way drugs are covered too.
1st offense of OVI (get used to it), offenders car may be immobilized for a period 90 days.
My car is self immobilizing as it is...heads $1200, transmission $1300, brakes $740, heck don't immobilize it, keep it!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Thought it was DUI for "Driving under the Influence"  Guess 'Operating a Vehicle' covers red wagons BMX bikes, and skateboards.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Wanted to make sure they got those guys drinking a beer while riding their lawnmowers.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking over some documents, it looks like definitions are being expanded across the board encompassing the usual stoners as well as the pill poppers.
This also extends to private property (where open to the public) and brings the whole blood alcohol level down to .02% by weight per unit volume. (Section 4511.19(B))
This information made available by;
Ohio Bureau of Alcohol and Drug testing
Ohio Department of Health
Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Ohio Criminal Sentencing Commission

"No person shall be in physical control of a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse or, the combined influence of alcohol and a drug of abuse."

I wonder how an officer determines what drug and how stoned one is?
A field blood test? A portable wiz quiz? Or a trip to a hospital?

Happy new year!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
They love to bust people up at Put In Bay for DUI in the rental golf carts.  But then again, they bust you up there for anything and everything.  I think it keeps the coffers full of cash in Port Clinton.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Well if you operate a "vehicle" while impared you get what you get. There are far more people killed and injured by ass-clowns "under the influence" operating a vehicle every year than by firearm related incedents. As far as Im concerened a DUI or whatever you want to call it should be a FIRST DEGREE FELONY. The reason being the criminal doing so made a consous decision to become impared and then made a consous desision to put other people at risk of injury or DEATH by thier actions.
OK PEOPLE FLAME AWAY!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
This will now cover Boating, a major risk.  Nothing like trying to Canoe along the shore in a birchbark canoe and some skiboat full of drunks come by and almost kill ya.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The traditional "tail gate parties" may fall into that catagory... the only fun part of a Browns game anymore. (just a guess, not a jock)
I agree AW4EVER, it is and has always been a serious matter, no flame job from me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as I know, this is really nothing new. The section of the ORC is 4511.19, with subsections that make it go up to a felony.

4511.19  O.M.V.I.  (which we always put DUI in the blotter)  Operating Motor Vehilce while Intoxicated?  Like I said, I always put DUI in the book.

Maybe they're just going to enforce the M.V. part of it now?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
They use to call it OMVI many years ago, then they changed it to DUI ----------- big deal.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top