Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 8:29:39 PM EDT
Anybody else refuse to give your money to a place that will sell you guns but not support your 2A rights? My local shop in Donald has recently put up the "No Loaded Wepons" sign on the door. I went in today looking to buy a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec. That sign made me just turn and leave.

Typicaly I ignore those signs as I CCW but that just pissed me off. I have spent alot of money there, but no more. I'll drive to Molalla or Tigard to spend my fun money now.

rant off
Justin
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty odd, be interested in knowing why.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anybody else refuse to give your money to a place that will sell you guns but not support your 2A rights? My local shop in Donald has recently put up the "No Loaded Wepons" sign on the door. I went in today looking to buy a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec. That sign made me just turn and leave.

Typicaly I ignore those signs as I CCW but that just pissed me off. I have spent alot of money there, but no more. I'll drive to Molalla or Tigard to spend my fun money now.

rant off
Justin

You could just ask them since you are probably acquainted with them. Perhaps their insurance carrier requires it or maybe they are just tired of idjits bringing loaded guns in to pawn/sell/trade-in/get worked on. I believe I once heard a reply along the lines of: I don't care if you carry concealed. Just make sure it stays concealed if it is loaded.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Sadly, it's becoming pretty common.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I would assume it is for non-conceled firearms since they are a gun smith.  A local pawn shop has a similar sign too.  

The main man in the shop you mention packs a fancy 1911 open on his hip.  You should have asked him what the sign ment.  If it means conceled too, tell him since he dosen't trust you, you can't trust him to do your business with.  

Unfortunantly gun shops probably see a lot of stupid things.  There was a moron customer in a salem shop that whipped out his loaded magazine to show me what a hydra-shock was.  I should have told him to keep it in his f––-ing pocket.  Those type of people need to unload their guns before they leave home.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been to a lot of stores with signs like that –– the reason given is insurance... Some of them told me that "concealed means concealed, don't tell the insurance company"
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
It has also been my experience that this is for non-holstered guns, those being brought in for work/trade/sale its a little reminder to some folks who would otherwise accidentally shoot all our clocks(some of you may know about this) Perhaps you should give Rich the benefit of the doubt and talk to him instead of tying to dampen his business and assuming the worst.......

Also likely/possible that his insurance carrier told him to post it or lose coverage, are you going to punish him for making sure his business can stay open to provide you with products and service?

Sorry, but it just seems you are acting a little hot headed here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It has also been my experience that this is for non-holstered guns, those being brought in for work/trade/sale its a little reminder to some folks who would otherwise accidentally shoot all our clocks(some of you may know about this) Perhaps you should give Rich the benefit of the doubt and talk to him instead of tying to dampen his business and assuming the worst.......

Also likely/possible that his insurance carrier told him to post it or lose coverage, are you going to punish him for making sure his business can stay open to provide you with products and service?

There are more than one insurance company out there. I would do some shopping around if my insurance company tryed to dictate my rights like that.

ETA: Also I have always tried to push business Rich's way on here. Every time someone asks for a good gunsmith I recommend him. Anytime a buddy asks where a good place to buy a gun is I recommend him. It may be a little hot headed of me to hold a grudge over that silly sign, but there are 4 other well known gun shops within 15 miles of me that do not have a sign like that. I will take my business to there 2A supporting businesses.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Keiths has had one up for ever.

Concealed = Concealed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#9]
The place I use to work never had that sign up, I just figured our customers were smarter than other stores customers were.  I always felt comfortable  knowing many of my customers carried, but I never saw it.  That being said  I have seen many stupid people do very stupid thing in gun stores.  One was a guy who is your basic Delta/Seal/Swat Armchair operator asks me if I thought the “crown” on his “911 Kimber was messed up." He showed me a loaded 1911; yes, I could see the Hydra-Shock down that barrel.  I told him to never do that again or I would shoot him. He actually got offended and told my boss I yelled at him.  
The next was a guy that told me he was a “Marine Gunsmith ”  muzzle sweep me twice. Yes, it was on two different occasions.
Then an 80-year-old woman pulled a gun out and told me “I want lots of bullets just like what’s in here.”  All with her finger on the trigger, pointed at my large belly.
Overall,  it may have had it happen 20  or more times with loaded guns. I doubt a sign saying no loaded guns  kept any of that from happing. Lets face it criminals and stupid people don’t follow the rules anyways. I really thing the majority of the goof ball stuff was from people that were loyal customers of other stores. We should have  all the people that have worked behind the counter start a thread about the stupid things we have seen. Maybe it will be fun reading.

I am a firm believer in concealed means concealed!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are more than one insurance company out there. I would do some shopping around if my insurance company tryed to dictate my rights like that.

ETA: Also I have always tried to push business Rich's way on here. Every time someone asks for a good gunsmith I recommend him. Anytime a buddy asks where a good place to buy a gun is I recommend him. It may be a little hot headed of me to hold a grudge over that silly sign, but there are 4 other well known gun shops within 15 miles of me that do not have a sign like that. I will take my business to there 2A supporting businesses.

Sorry I doubt it's an anti 2A policy its an anti stupid people policy, just last month a customer discharged a gun he had brought in to a shop just down I-5 from Rich and put a hole in the wall and who knows where else, or how far it went. I would guess that maybe the sign was a response to that.

There may be many insurance company's out there, but how many will cover a gun store, I would wager not as many as you may think, also maybe Rich is shopping around for a new insurance company, In the meantime however he still needs to be insured.

You will never know as long as you continue to hold the grudge.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I also don't patronize businesses that put up those signs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Wouldn't be great to walk into a shop and see the following sign:

"Sweep = 86"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are over reacting. Why don't you take shower, put some clean clothes on and chase an Imodium AD with a few shots of Pepto. Hopefully after you are pooping right you can start thinking right.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are over reacting. Why don't you take shower, put some clean clothes on and chase an Imodium AD with a few shots of Pepto. Hopefully after you are pooping right you can start thinking right.

I'm sorry but your comment is out of line sir.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]
It's 99% of the time due to their insurance requirements.  Has nothing to do with supporting rights or not in this case.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats nice.... real nice...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I doubt it's an anti 2A policy its an anti stupid people policy, just last month a customer discharged a gun he had brought in to a shop just down I-5 from Rich and put a hole in the wall and who knows where else, or how far it went. I would guess that maybe the sign was a response to that.

There may be many insurance company's out there, but how many will cover a gun store, I would wager not as many as you may think, also maybe Rich is shopping around for a new insurance company, In the meantime however he still needs to be insured.

You will never know as long as you continue to hold the grudge.

Ouch, hadnt heard about the ND around here.

I tried doing a little research on an insurance company that would cover a gun store. seems that there arent as many as I figured there would be. Makes more since to me know on why he might be forced (in a way) to put the sign up.

Justin

(ETA more betterer spelling)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top