Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2003 10:00:43 AM EDT
Anyone else seeing these signs lately?

Had my first experience at the hospital today so I had to leave it in the pickup. I can't ignore their rule because I have to go there regularly. It pisses me off because I know they won't even try to protect any one should the need arise. Also, I really believe that removing the holstered weapon invites problems even though it's holstered. The more you fuck with it...leads to drawing attention to yourself. Thugs are gonna be watching parking lots to act on their new foung opportunities.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
their was a burger king, with the sign already posted.  dont want anyone packing while they eat their food. i agree their should be some places where you shouldnt carry, but this is forsure not one of them
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Ridgedale and Knollwood Malls have no signs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like I'll be making the longer drive to Ridgedale for my shopping since MOA is off the list of places to go.

Also, my employer's office already has the signs up on their doors...    Oh well, it's just a temp agency anyway, and I don't often go in there.  I have a nice job as a grave digger & grounds keeper at a busy MPLS Cemetery through the temp agency.  I'll be getting a decent tan BURN this summer.    So far I haven't seen any signs/notices about guns at the cemetery!!!  

However, it looks as though I'll be able to carry on the job.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never seen any of the "no gun" signs in Virginia. If and when I do I'll take my business elsewhere(if possible) and that includes spending more money for the same product. I have seen some of the signs in S.C. while on vacation and I went to another place of business to spend my money. When you see these signs, put the word "on the street" not to patronize the business. Do what you can. Leave your gun outside and go in to tell the owner or manager why you,your family and your friends won't be spending any money there!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
screw that, just go in there carrying, when they ask you to put it away tell them they just cost them your business, atleast thats my plan
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
screw that, just go in there carrying, when they ask you to put it away tell them they just cost them your business, atleast thats my plan

If its posted and you walk in with a gun, they can call the cops and have you arrested and you could get your CCW taken away.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
According to the Red Star Tribune last week, they have to post it and verbally ask you to not bring your gun in.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
bullshit, read the law, if you walk in they have to ask you to leave. if you refuse,they will call the cops(penilty, is max a petty mistameter and a fine, no ccw takin. atlest this is what im told from st paul Cleo,and the senate
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Which begs the next question.

If you have it concealed, how can they tell that you have one on you?

I bought a shoulder holster for my .357 magnum (6" barrel...) and since I am both tall, big, and wear a jacket most of the time, nobody can see my firearm.

[I do not have my CCW yet, and I have not gone out in public with it...when looking in the mirror, I can't see the bulge at all]

Anyhow, again, if the point is that you can't see it, who cares?

-Warlock
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Which begs the next question.

If you have it concealed, how can they tell that you have one on you?

I bought a shoulder holster for my .357 magnum (6" barrel...) and since I am both tall, big, and wear a jacket most of the time, nobody can see my firearm.

[I do not have my CCW yet, and I have not gone out in public with it...when looking in the mirror, I can't see the bulge at all]

Anyhow, again, if the point is that you can't see it, who cares?

-Warlock

LOL...Sounds like overkill. Big revolvers are the hardest to conceal...Get yourself a medium or compact auto.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree completely...  A large revolver is difficult to conceal, especially in summer clothing.  My small 380 Auto is EXTREMELY concealable with its comp-tac holster.  I don't have the permit yet, because I need to save $$ for the training, and application fees too.  My new job is quickly helping me pay off my debt, but it's still tough to keep up with bills, etc...

I think being poor is a right of passage for college students.  A pre-requisite of life.

I'll get the $$ sometime this summer, and likely have the permit by fall.

I haven't seen any of these signs posted at Southdale Mall yet.  However, many of the uptown, and dinkytown yuppie liberal soccermom places such as the Kitty Kat Klub, the Loring Pasta Bar, and other such liberal cesspools have their signs clearly posted on EVERY door.  Today while walking through dinkytown with my parents we laughed at all the people that post signs on their doors.

My dad thinks I'm a little obsessive with the CCW bill by boycotting businesses with posted signs.  He sees my boycott as somewhat ridiculous.  However, he personally boycotted candy bars loyally FOR 15 YEARS when they raised the price from $0.05 to $0.25 cents...  After 15 years THEN he only bought candy bars for fund-raisers, or IN something (like DQ Blizzards).  He doesn't realize that too is a ridiculous boycott, IMHO.

Does anybody know exactly WHAT KIND of WEAPONS are allowed under the CCW Law?

Sword Canes?  Shotguns?  Or is it just Handguns only?  I tried searching the legislature website for links regarding knives, and it appears as though carrying a folding knife is legal as long as it's not spring-loaded/assisted.  I'm trying to get more clarified information on such issues.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree. As far as I am concerned, all the ccw bill has done so far is once again protected the criminal, with the possible exception of on the street. I don't know what you guys think, but if I am a criminal going to hold a place up, I am happy as hell! Now if a place has signs posted, what is the chance of a civilian holding up a crime in progress? Criminals now know where they can and can't(more easily) go and hold a place up. I thought that was the whole point of the cc law. To be able to protect yourself, without anyone knowing if you have a weapon or not. I say let us carry everywhere. Everybody has their own right to arm themselves leagally, provided they can pass the backround checks and training. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Hi Folks,
Just a couple of thoughts from a local LEO. I support the new law, but wish they would have fixed a couple of problems first. Use of deadly force is a complicated isssue with the MN statutes. Here is a couple of suggestions for you new permit holders. If stopped by a Cop let him know you are carrying with a permit. If we know up front the less likely we are to draw down on you. We see a bulge and we react. Second, don't push the owners or employees of places that post signs into calling the Police. The press and the anti- concealed carry people will be watching for this. The bill stands a better chane of staying intact if nobody gets busted for any of the violations in the bill. The alcohol provisions of the bill include an Implied Consent just like for DWI, don't drink when carrying, or carry after drinking. The first year of this bill is critical, don't give them any tools to use against the law. Just a couple of thoughts I wanted to pass on.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here is a couple of suggestions for you new permit holders. If stopped by a Cop let him know you are carrying with a permit. If we know up front the less likely we are to draw down on you. We see a bulge and we react.

MNCop; Excellent comments.
It's worth adding for ALL to remember; If stopped, KEEP BOTH HANDS VISIBLE (i.e. on top of steering wheel).. when asked for license, inform the officer you are a legal permit holder and whether or not you are carrying at the present time.  Ask the officer how he/she would like you to proceed in presenting your license.  To show respect for LEO's duty risks will go a long way with them.

Quoted:  Second, don't push the owners or employees of places that post signs into calling the Police.

Regarding establishments who post signs; respect their choice, do not enter, but make it a point to call the manager later and respectfully inform them that because of their choice, they no longer have you as a customer, and that you will inform others also.  When they find it is costing them revenue, the signs will come down as this "hysteria" passes.  The more calls they receive against their chosen policy, the quicker the signs will come down.  Remember, be polite and respectful, otherwise your complaint will be simply dismissed as someone they don't want in their establishment.

Quoted:  The press and the anti- concealed carry people will be watching for this. The bill stands a better chance of staying intact if nobody gets busted for any of the violations in the bill.

We ALL must be very diligent in our actions to serve as Ambassadors in preserving the rights we have as law abiding citizens.

Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Ignore the signs and keep it concealed
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess there won't be any "grave robbing" going on in Minneapolis cemetaries...

Block E in downtown Mpls. has signs posted, so I guess the gang bangers will be the only ones packin gatts there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
LOL...Sounds like overkill. Big revolvers are the hardest to conceal...Get yourself a medium or compact auto.

I plan to carry a Springfield XD 9mm compact or sig 239 9mm. During summer, anyhow.

In the winter, with a larger coat on, I plan to cary my .357.

Back to the original post, if they don't see it, they don't care (unless they voted for Clinton/Wellstone/Mondale) and don't tell them.

If you are asked to leave, just leave. in 12 months this will all be history.

-Warlock
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]
i went out to mall of america today. they had big purple signs at the door guns are banned on theis premises. well i took one and im goona cut out hte banned and hang in back up tommorrow. itll say guns are on these premese. ha.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey DSSPRO,
Acts like the one you are about to do are what is going to cause problems for the rest of the people. Think twice before doing anything stupid. Besides you already commited an act of theft that is a punishable misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't mean to complicate this issue, but if someone spots your gun, isn't it considered brandishing? And isn't brandishing more serious than ignoring no-ccw signs?

To be safe, keep it hidden--nobody knows, no problem.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually, the permit is for carrying a handgun. It is not limited to concealed carry. Open carry is also allowed with this permit in MN. It is recommended that you carry concealed. This is due to the fact that open carry draws unwanted attention from Police and gun shy people, as well as bad guys.
By the way, Target stores will NOT be putting up signs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#23]
RE: Brandishing.

I'm not a lawyer and do not play one on TV.

The way I see it... to brandish with the current law, you have to haul it out of the holster and wave it around.

I could be wrong. (My wife tells me I frequently am)
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Something to think about....

Legally the Mall of America CANNOT ban handguns in the mall.  If you read the "NEW" law it states that landlords cannot ban handguns from their tenants.  For the MOA to legally do this each store in the mall would have to post a sign.  The Mall of America is breaking the law, but why not, Hennepin County and Ramsey County are as well.  As for the signs at the MOA, I plan to ignore them.  My pistol will be CONCEALED, so unless they plan to ILLEGALLY search everyone who walks through the door, how would they know?  Think the GANG BANGERS will leave their weapons in the car?  Remember... the "NO GUNS" sign are nothing but a bullshit political statement.

Tom
Brooklyn Park
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#25]
havn't seen any yet in Duluth but i think they were going to be posted at the mall..i have a few ideas of the other stores (liberal hangouts) that might post em.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
i went out to mall of america today. they had big purple signs at the door guns are banned on theis premises. well i took one and im goona cut out hte banned and hang in back up tommorrow. itll say guns are on these premese. ha.

Good thinkin' dsspro...

When I see a business w/ a "No GUNS" sign, I plan to pick up a big rock and throw it thru the window.

That will teach em'.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top