Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 4:04:17 PM EDT
I went to the grasslands this morning. I did get there late- about 30 minutes after sunup, but I didn't see a single dove all day. I ended up just going looking around at the various units and may have found a better place to hunt.
I was up north of Black creek Lake. This unit is a little west and has a much clearer view. There are so damn many trees now on the "grasslands" that I might not see a dove until it was overhead.

While checking the units I did see 4 deer and 2 roadrunners. I fished a few stock tanks and a couple of the small lakes. I managed to figure out what the bass were after- baby bass crank bait. I caught 3 in about 10 minutes but they were all only about a pound to a pound and a half. This was all from the bank. I think the next time I go dove hunting I am taking my 14' jon boat and trolling motor.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple of buddies and I were looking around there today too for dove.  We were also on another guy's place.  I got 6, but none at the grass lands.  Seems like a neat place though, we will have to take some of the scouts there this fall.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A couple of buddies and I were looking around there today too for dove.  We were also on another guy's place.  I got 6, but none at the grass lands.  Seems like a neat place though, we will have to take some of the scouts there this fall.

There are some very nice places to camp. One of the micest, to me anyway, is a very large stand of pines. I think they are on unit 15. If you google the grasslands and zoom in a little there are some links to pics someone took. The pine area in one of them.
If you have a small group there is a nice campsite on the south side on Black Creek Lake.
There are several other spots that would make good spots, but the pines are really nice.

Jim

edited to add: You can order a map of the LBJ National Grasslands through the Grasslands office for $9.00. There are a lot of areas that are not connected- you would have to look at the map to see what I am talking about.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that we were looking in the exact same spots today.  The buddy of mine who was driving had one of those maps, and he is very active in the scout troop so I have access to it.  We drove right next to that nice pine grove right where the creek crosses the road in unit 15 that some people were camping at and we decided that would be perfect for an upcoming camp out.

I might have seen you, were you driving a light colored Ford Explorer?  We were driving around in a white Toyota Tundra TRD.

Also, we never got out and hunted at the grasslands because we did not know all of the hunting regs... is blaze orange required while hunting dove?   I knew that it was for deer, but someone told me you did not for dove or turkey.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#4]
No, you don't need the orange for dove. I am not sure about turkey.

I was in a maroon Dodge Ram Quad Cab.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think that we were looking in the exact same spots today.  The buddy of mine who was driving had one of those maps, and he is very active in the scout troop so I have access to it.  We drove right next to that nice pine grove right where the creek crosses the road in unit 15 that some people were camping at and we decided that would be perfect for an upcoming camp out.

I might have seen you, were you driving a light colored Ford Explorer?  We were driving around in a white Toyota Tundra TRD.

Also, we never got out and hunted at the grasslands because we did not know all of the hunting regs... is blaze orange required while hunting dove?   I knew that it was for deer, but someone told me you did not for dove or turkey.  

I saw your truck in houston about 6 months ago parked down town next to a strip of small trendy nightclubs. You have a white boltface logo and i thought to myself "self, that guys trying to get his truck burglarized, he should get a boltface hat or tatoo instead, people wont think hes hiding i high dollar AR under his hat."

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw your truck in houston about 6 months ago parked down town next to a strip of small trendy nightclubs. You have a white boltface logo and i thought to myself "self, that guys trying to get his truck burglarized, he should get a boltface hat or tatoo instead, people wont think hes hiding i high dollar AR under his hat."

Not my truck, a friend of mine, and his Tundra does not have a BFL... must have been someone else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top