Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 4:28:54 AM EDT
Hey guys I was wondering for you guys that shoot at the no fmj ranges what kind of ammo are you using and where are you getting it? I took the long ride to Collin county and it is just not worth it to me to drive that far to shoot fmj.. No gibsons either,.,

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot mostly my own loads.  These rules are part of the reason I got into reloading.  Also, because I like bench shooting for accuracy, and good quality ammo is very expensive.

So.... when I am just blasting/function testing, I shoot Wolf 55gr HP/SP (awful accuracy but it works)

When I want to verify zero, I slip in a mag of M193 when the nazi's arent looking.

When I am working on accuracy shooting, I use Winchester White box 45gr HP varmint, Black Hills HP in 52, 68, and 77gr, and then my own loads.  Lately been shooting some Hornady 55gr SP's, 55gr VMAX, and 69 and 77gr SMK's.

If you want to get out cheap, and want better accuracy than Wolf, look to Dallas Reloading for their 55gr SP's, at $150/k.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey guys I was wondering for you guys that shoot at the no fmj ranges what kind of ammo are you using and where are you getting it? I took the long ride to Collin county and it is just not worth it to me to drive that far to shoot fmj.. No gibsons either,.,

Thanks

what's the "logic" of the no FMJ  restriction ??
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Supposedly... it is an insurance policy requirement.... based on a supposition that HP/SP rounds dont ricochet as bad as FMJ rounds... and have a much lower chance of going over the backstop in the event of a ground strike.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Supposedly... it is an insurance policy requirement.... based on a supposition that HP/SP rounds dont ricochet as bad as FMJ rounds... and have a much lower chance of going over the backstop in the event of a ground strike.

um... ok
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a pretty stupid rule. You could just put your ball ammo in some spare Remington Hollow Point boxes in case they checked.  

Not that I'd condone any breaking of rules or anything, or that I've done such a thing.  Just a thought.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Last time I was at my range shooting some .308.... I wanted to try out some Aussie surplus.  I had boxes of my HP handloads all around.  The RO walked up, picked up one of my FMJ's.... but didn't say anything.

Either he didnt have the balls to bitch me out (as a regular) or he knew I was shooting sub-MOA all day long, and wasnt going to have any "ground strikes" at 100yds.

I pick up brass a lot while I am there, and I often see milspec surplus .223.... so I aint the only one.

If I am gonna shoot ball ammo, I typically set out a few boxes of HP/SP's, and then have my ball ammo preloaded in mags.    What they dont know, aint gonna hurt em.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top