Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 5/2/2004 7:30:21 PM EDT
Honest! I couldn't believe my eyes.

At Tri-State Gunshow, Lima, west entrance.  It seemed like the ultimate oxymoron.

Hessian-1out!
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
lol anything good at the show?
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a safety issue. Plain and simple. There are enough morons at guns shows. We don't need morons with loaded guns at shows too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's a safety issue. Plain and simple. There are enough morons at guns shows. We don't need morons with loaded guns at shows too.

I agree with you on principle, but you can't argue ANY sign, ANYWHERE if you fall back on the safety issue...because that's what every business sees. They think every last one of us is an AD or crackpot waiting to happen.

The deal with shows rubs me wrong because if you're CCW'ing at a show, it should NEVER leave your concealment, and that should be the sign. No BRANDISHING concealed weapons, not NO LOADED weapons. I'd bet my paycheck that 99.9% of the AD's and ND's at gunshows were not CCW guns carried for protection.

Anyway, it's a sad statement that gun owners can't trust gun owners and if that's the case then we cannot for one second expect non gun owners to trust us.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Anyway, it's a sad statement that gun owners can't trust gun owners and if that's the case then we cannot for one second expect non gun owners to trust us.

Swingset is right on!  It's complete bullshit for anyone in the gun industry/community to be anti-CCW!  

Screw them, I guess I'll just take my business elsewhere...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
They could have used a little tact and simply posted a no loaded guns allowed sign, as they always do.  Then again, if this is a government owned building it might be mandatory by law to have that sign posted.  Was it posted by the show promoter, or the venue?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep the last one at Youngstown was posted too. It has nothing to do with the building but is the promoter. Total BS. Dick Walters is a POS. I love going to Gun shows but, this is a total slap in the face. They even have handouts for CC classes just inside the door.  I mean if they have a CHL then whats the problem, I carry prety much everywhere else, the local gunshops aren't posting. These promoters need flogged.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Then again, if this is a government owned building it might be mandatory by law to have that sign posted.  

This is exactly the case.  The building is RENTED from the COUNTY for gun shows, among other activities.  Even if it isn't posted, it's illegal as hell to CCW there.  I think posting it was the proper thing to do, to remind people who might have forgotten what they were told in training.

Same way at the village park in my home town.  CCW on the bike paths, no problem.  But NOT in the shelter houses, or over the covered bridge.  They're both permanent structures (building permit req'd) on city property.  NO CCW there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's not about trust.  It's against the law.  See my post above.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The Lima gun show (which sucks) is on the Allen Co. Fairgrounds. And county fairgrounds are one of the places that our wonderful elected vampires think we should surrender our rights at the door.

Needless to say, I wont be going to the county fair this year.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not about trust.  It's against the law.  See my post above.

Ok, fair enough, but the PRO show and OGCA show that I attended had their signs posted. The OGCA wasn't on County grounds, and their reasoning wasn't anything to do with the law. It was a "safety" issue. PRO didn't mention any laws either....it was all about "Safety". They were in a shopping mall, not a County Fairgrounds.

Look, I'm even going to admit that CCW in the shows might increase the chances of an ND down the road somewhere....it could happen. But, as I said before, we lose every ounce of leverage to condemn a business or locale that forbids CCW if we can't trust ourselves.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Look, I'm even going to admit that CCW in the shows might increase the chances of an ND down the road somewhere....it could happen. But, as I said before, we lose every ounce of leverage to condemn a business or locale that forbids CCW if we can't trust ourselves.

I'm wanting to agree with you, but I'm not sure I can at this point.

Let's move from the gun shows to your local gun club, and look at it there.  Are you allowed to carry "hot" when you're shooting there, or are you required prove that your firearm is "clear" until the range goes hot?  Is this another example of gun owners not trusting each other, or is it simply a good safety practice?

Just trying to sort this out - only arguing to see where it takes me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So we just need them on the street ????

If we can't trust them at gun shows................ why would we fault people for not wanting CCW in the first place ?????????????????????????

This is a bad example period.
If they do not allow CCW , and it isn't one of the law prohibitions................... do not go.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Same thing at the gun club, Cyanide?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
When I go to the range I carry. When I go hiking on state property I carry. If I would go into a shelterhouse or other building I would still carry, just not concealed. Open carry is still legal in public and municipal building. I still open carry often and will always do so.

Like I said before the gunshow thing is total crap. I can carry a loaded gun through the playground at the community center legally, but cant be trusted at a gunshow. I bough my concealed carry gun at a gun show but can't carry there. Hell even Walmart allows concealed carry. Think of that walmart is more pro gun than a gunshow.

Don't know if I'm going back to a gunshow again. My local shops don't have signs posted so why not just shop there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My club has no problem with concealed carry while at the range. As a matter of fact it was specifically addressed at a meeting recently. The policy? "Don't touch it while the range is cold, and there is no problem. If you handle any gun while the range is cold, you're in the same trouble, so there doesn't need to be anything said. Matter of fact, it would be wise to leave a carry gun concealed for your entire shooting session unless you're there to practice with it." Gee whiz, common sense.

I would not, ever, belong to a club where concealed carry was forbidden. I have a range at my home as well, and if you shoot at my place, you can conceal while the range is cold. I trust you, and so does the state and Sherrif.

A concealed gun, for protection, should not present a problem TO ANYONE, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. It's not to be taken out, fondled, played with or looked at and most CCW folks know it and most establishments expect that. Any restriction on carrying, IMHO is wrongheaded and irresponsible, but then I've always been a pigheaded follower of the 2A.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My club has no problem with concealed carry while at the range. As a matter of fact it was specifically addressed at a meeting recently. The policy? "Don't touch it while the range is cold, and there is no problem. If you handle any gun while the range is cold, you're in the same trouble, so there doesn't need to be anything said. Matter of fact, it would be wise to leave a carry gun concealed for your entire shooting session unless you're there to practice with it." Gee whiz, common sense.

I would not, ever, belong to a club where concealed carry was forbidden. I have a range at my home as well, and if you shoot at my place, you can conceal while the range is cold. I trust you, and so does the state and Sherrif.

A concealed gun, for protection, should not present a problem TO ANYONE, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. It's not to be taken out, fondled, played with or looked at and most CCW folks know it and most establishments expect that. Any restriction on carrying, IMHO is wrongheaded and irresponsible, but then I've always been a pigheaded follower of the 2A.

Neanderthal
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Along the lines of CCW issues pissing me off, it looks like the Cleveland Heights Police Academy is recording the serial number of the handgun that you use during the shooting portion of the training classes. For those of you who haven't made it or don't go to Glock Talk: glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=245789
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I just read at ofcc that a gunshop in Sharonville has posted a no CCW sign.  I guess its a great opportunity for anyone wanting a cheap gunshop when he goes out of business.  The Gunshow may not control the rules of the venue, but a store owner certainly does in his own shop.  Very strange times indeed.

Without looking at the link, I'm guessing this must be Peterson's.  His shop, though well stocked with a good selection of milsurp and military style arms, is so overpriced as to be completely laughable.  I'm guessing he treats the shop like more of a personal collection than a money making venture.

Now with that said, he is an ABSOLUTE FUCKING MORON!  It boggles the mind...fucktard...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:06:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I find it to be prevalent opinion amongst gun owners that "I" can be trusted with a firearm, but "they" can not.  I've run in to that many many times.  Once is too many.  A lot of our own don't even truly believe in the 2nd Amendment.

Scott
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top