Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2020 8:43:49 PM EDT
I may need the gas port on my 300BLK 8" barrel Gas Piston pistol build enlarged.  Having cycling issues even using supers when no suppressor is attached and with some subs even with the can attached.  The gas port is at the absolute minimum diameter recommended by Adams Arms who makes the adjustable gas block/piston kit I have installed.  I have ensured that the gas block is at 100% open.

I'm ok building and working on my AR's but I don't want to take the chance of ruining an expensive Wilson Combat barrel.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
There really aren’t any NoVA AR smiths.

Send it to ADCO.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The 'smith at SpecDive Tactical seems to know his was around an AR. He's worked on several M4 clones and and 300blk sbr with good results.

Marcel
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 'smith at SpecDive Tactical seems to know his was around an AR. He's worked on several M4 clones and and 300blk sbr with good results.

Marcel
View Quote

Cool.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Send it to ADCO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Send it to ADCO.

They are not currently taking in work.

Quoted:
We are finishing everything inbound but not taking any new orders until after Christmas.

Source
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Not surprisingly SpecDive is backed up with work.  Rough guesstimate is 8-12 weeks.  Looks like it's gonna be a DIY.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you know what size port it needs to be or are you looking for someone to open it a little at a time until it’s correct?  

Piston guns generally need much more gas vs. DI.  All the data I’ve collected over the years of working on ARs is for DI guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Um, not correct.

@JensenReady Robb at Elite, also responded above.
View Quote

I can vouch for Robb too.
He knows his shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not difficult to open a gas port.

Just takes a drill press and the right size drill bits.  Clamp the barrel in a drill press vice, go nice and slow.

If you are really concerned about going to deep and messing up the barrel, put an aluminum cleaning rod down the bore.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can vouch for Robb too.
He knows his shit.
View Quote

I’ll third this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I've gotten a drill jig and will preform the work myself.  Got a couple bits that will work on the stainless barrel from my retired machinist Father-in-law.  The old cleaning rod in the bore trick is genius and I will use it.

Very happy to find a few good leads on quality smiths in the area should I encounter any serious problems.  The current backlog wait times I just cant handle right now so I'll tackle the basic stuff myself for the time being.

Should be tackling this task next week.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you know what size port it needs to be or are you looking for someone to open it a little at a time until it’s correct?  

Piston guns generally need much more gas vs. DI.  All the data I’ve collected over the years of working on ARs is for DI guns.
View Quote

Phil at Adams Arms told me the gas port specs are:  .106"-.115" and never to exceed .125"

I have a .115" and a .125" bit now thanks to my Father-in-law.  Go slow, use oil.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#13]
A wooden dowel rod works too if you don't want to waste a cleaning rod, gives you  a good visual when you are deep enough.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Ive drilled out two myself...........use an aluminum cleaning rod and whatever bit size you are using buy brand new ones............go slow, remember you are just opening up a hole that is already drilled...........easier than you think................both worked great...........I still have one of them.............it was a Brownells B-tac barrel in 300 blackout
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Get an adjustable one.

If you open it up to far you will have to sleeve it.

Just get an adjustable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top