Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2013 11:11:55 AM EDT
Near Willmington...

http://www.missilebases.com/nike-ohio

• Includes14 + acres, ideally situated to Cincinnati.

•  Outer perimeter entirely fenced with high barbed-wire topped chain-link; launch complex has second fencing & gatehouse.

•  The main entrance road is paved and is off a well-maintained state highway.

•  All electrical wiring is underground.

•  Pressurized water system for firefighting

•  Property has its own sewage disposal system

•  Three separate missile magazines totaling over 15,000 sq ft of underground usable space (currently flooded).

•   Concrete streets run throughout the acreage; three acres are blacktopped.

•  Drainage tile surround the entire property.

•  Dog kennel area is in-tact.

•  Surrounded by beautiful farmland and nice homes; situated near a nice equestrian arena, Cowan Lake, and other outdoor sport and adventure areas.

Price $279,000.

ETA:  Missiles not included.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool. 20th Century Castles bought a lot of this stuff some years back when it was originally sold pretty cheap. I doubt they paid anywhere near their asking price. I wish I known when AT&T sold off all their old Long Lines stations about 20 years ago. Many were in remote locations are were considered "hardened" shelters. Most were bought be communication companies to lease out.

ETA: It's interesting that many of the pics provided by the seller seem to be the exact same pics posted here from a guy who admittedly trespassed there a few years back.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.

Found it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If it wasn't flooded, 15K of underground space would make for a heck of an ammo fort.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool.

Found it.
View Quote

Awesome.  I'm going to fly over and check it out this week.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Nike sites were flooded and abandoned 45 years ago.  The black top is probably granola by now and the concrete turning to powder.  This property was not valuable enough for the National Guard to retain as a small armory site.  No mention of environmental hazards...

-- Chuck
View Quote

Buzzkill.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it's overpriced by $200,000
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think it's overpriced by $200,000
View Quote

I agree, since they already took out the missiles.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool place, but I bet the cleanup bill for that place would be almost as much as the asking price. 15k sq ft of water? I'm sure there is stuff in that water that gives epa agents nightmares. Not to mention the rehab to electrical systems and sewage systems.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The older concrete gets the harder it gets.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Cool place, but I bet the cleanup bill for that place would be almost as much as the asking price. 15k sq ft of water? I'm sure there is stuff in that water that gives epa agents nightmares. Not to mention the rehab to electrical systems and sewage systems.
View Quote

EPA?  It has concrete bunkers, and a fence with razor wire.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
need some good pumps to get it out.. not to mention to keep it out after... then all new copper most likely..

wounder what the depth is, and what all is below ground?..
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a complete dump! Be lucky to get 30k-40k for just the land.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#15]
this is the sat image

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#16]
found this..

looking at this, it could be quite big underground..

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Slightly more interested, however, still flooded and not work even 75k.

If the missiles were that size i'm sure the magazine would have to be large enough to hold what? How many nike missiles would you need? 24? 50? 15000 sq ft / 150' = 100' so an area 100'x150'x12'?

From the above posted illustrations it looks to be broken up more, maybe 75'x100' and 75'x100' Cool history regardless!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Like someone said in an earlier post, the electrical and utility repair has got to be the worst part.  I wonder if there is a series of conduits and access tunnels to make the wiring more easily accessible, or if you're gonna have to dig up the ground to lay new lines.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, those missiles are in rough shape.  Lots of missing paint, and what looks like rust.  Is that a museum somewhere?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#20]
i just want my day of the dead compound damnit
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Like someone said in an earlier post, the electrical and utility repair has got to be the worst part.  I wonder if there is a series of conduits and access tunnels to make the wiring more easily accessible, or if you're gonna have to dig up the ground to lay new lines.
View Quote

I'm sure there is conduit, but it's probably all steel and rusted. Unuseable.
Who knows what the underground areas are like. The elevators are  hydraulic, and I'm sure they didn't drain the systems prior to the flooding.
Probably some lead based paint in there too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Who knows what the underground areas are like. The elevators are  hydraulic, and I'm sure they didn't drain the systems prior to the flooding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is lead paint everywhere.  A good rule of thumb is, don't eat paint.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

those some big water pumps in it, pump it to the ditch by the street... once empty it should be fine... put some romex in some ne conduit and good to go.

need to fix the 3 silo doors and make them to keep the water out...

but looking at the street view map. and sat image.. all the other building are crap as well, all need roofs

another issue is look how tiny the property is....  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top