Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 10:31:57 PM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164177,00.html

Gang Battle Closes U.S. Consulate in Mexico
Saturday, July 30, 2005

NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico — The United States will close its consulate for one week to assess the security of its employees and consulate visitors in this Mexican border town after a shootout between drug gangs using machine guns, grenades and a rocket launcher.

In a statement from Mexico City late Friday, U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza (search) said "in light of this alarming incident and continued violence along the border, I have decided to suspend all operations except for emergency services for American citizens," for one week, beginning Aug. 1.

While the consulate is closed, "we will be gauging what should be a swift and certain response from the government of Mexico, to bring this situation under control," Garza said.

Garza's announcement came three days after the ambassador requested the renewal of a State Department travel advisory warning Americans about violence in Mexico, especially along the border.

Late Thursday, a group of armed men arriving in several vehicles fired machine guns at a home on Mexicali street in southern Nuevo Laredo (search). People inside the house are believed to have returned fire with powerful weapons of their own, and a massive shootout ensued.

No one was injured and no arrests were made. It was unclear why the home was targeted, though witnesses said it was a safe house used by drug smugglers.

Fire from what witnesses said was a rocket launcher caused part of the house to collapse and the walls left standing were marked with hundreds of bullet holes. A vehicle had been driven into the door of the adjacent garage.

A state policeman who asked not to be identified for fear of reprisals said investigators found the photographs of 14 city police officers and a list of officials "sentenced to death" in the house. The officer didn't reveal the names of the officers but said each photo had their names and nicknames, what post they have at the police department and maps with their home addresses.

Authorities also recovered threeAK-47 (search) rifles, two handguns, a grenade, ski masks, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Several hours after that shootout, assailants sprayed another house, this one in the Madero neighborhood, one of the richest areas in Nuevo Laredo, with more than 100 bullets from automatic weapons. No injuries were reported, nor arrests made.

More than 100 people have been killed in this city across from Laredo, Texas (search), since January, including 15 police officers. Authorities have blamed the violence on a fight between Mexico's two most powerful drug gangs to control smuggling routes across the U.S. border.

Last month, Nuevo Laredo's police chief was gunned down hours after taking office, and police opened fire on a group of federal agents sent in to restore order, forcing President Vicente Fox's government to launch a purge of local officers.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:21:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

When the gangs have rocket launchers, it means things got out of hand....way out of hand.

Yes, but make sure you don't have one single shotgun shell under your drivers seat or you are going to prison
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Even the cops are scared to death:

http://www.dallasnews.com/world/mexico/

Nuevo Laredo chief 'not here to fight'

After seeing eight officers murdered during his first 15 days on the job, Police Chief Omar Pimentel has adopted a Gandhi-like approach to law enforcement. "My message is very clear: I am not here to confront anyone," he said from his well-cocooned office at police headquarters. "I am not here to fight."

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Good grief! I leave for a week and the place goes to shit!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good grief! I leave for a week and the place goes to shit!

Yeah, you actually picked a good time to go on vacation!

So how was all the Mickey Mouse bullshit???
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So how was all the Mickey Mouse bullshit???

Dear God, don't make me remember it! If I'd been packing I'd have drawn down on half the fucking park!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While the consulate is closed, "we will be gauging what should be a swift and certain response from the government of Mexico, to bring this situation under control," Garza said.

Yeah, I can't wait to see what the "swift and certain" response is, given the COP (who replaced the one that didn't last 1 day on the job) has taken the Ghandi approach.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Heh I went to a party in that neighborhood when I was in high school...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

After seeing eight officers murdered during his first 15 days on the job, Police Chief Omar Pimentel has adopted a Gandhi-like approach to law enforcement. "My message is very clear: I am not here to confront anyone," he said from his well-cocooned office at police headquarters. "I am not here to fight."

This is a theory of law enforcement I was not previously acquainted with. Unless I'm missing something, it's (paraphrasing) "I'm not here to enforce the law, or to keep the peace, or to protect citizens.". Does that about cover it?

The federal police could clean up NL if they wanted to. And if they don't, it will become a ghost town.
Too bad. I've had some great times there.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

NFS!!
They don't even have one sidearm per officer. The Police Dept. in Nuevo Laredo has nothing to fight with.

The drug cartels have machine guns, RPGs and explosives. The police department has a few sidearms and whatever rocks they can gather.

With such a rediculous and ineffective government situation, it is no wonder that so many police officers take the money offered by the drug cartrels.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Well! This is just fucking ducky!

Turns out one of my employees was in a movie theater right where this little "disagreement" took place. He and his family were getting ready to walk out when the usher rushed in and told them to stay put because the shootout was progressing down the street.

Turns out that the guys in the house got out and followed the attackers down the street and around the block for fifteen minutes, blazing away at each other. My employee actually saw a few of them go by the theater as they fired. His family, which had just moved here, is now moving back out. Good for them.

Oh, did I mention this all took place just a few blocks from where I'm currently sitting?

Oh, did I also mention that despite the Federales and the military being all over the place here, NOT ONE showed up?

Gotta love it....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Compare that with JPJ: "I have not yet begun to fight."
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a target rich environment.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#16]
What a shame, just last year I was able to go over there and drink dollar beer and and two dollar shots with no care in the world. That place was bad last year hell its been terrible for about the past 5 or so but now its really gone to hell.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#17]
This sounds like a job for El Mariachi!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Well.....

Some Director of Internal Security or some such title got gunned down with his bodyguards this morning....

I'm reminded of that one skit in the TV show Police Squad!, where Leslie Neilsen is trying to determine the angle the murder victim was shot at by shooting a bunch of people from different angles. Big pile of dead people in the corner.

Except this is real....

ETA: Link

Suneson, like other Nuevo Laredo residents, blamed the consumption of narcotics in the United States for the city's violence. He called for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to provide more intelligence to Mexican officials in order to effectively clamp down on the drug gangs operating on the border.

"They need to come in here and clean this place up" Suneson said. "It's not an impossible task. It just takes political will."

Can you believe this shit? It's OUR fault that their government can't keep the peace, and WE have to go down there and fix it!

Here's an idea: B-52 Archlight mission. They'd level the city in less than an hour, and avoid all the nasties involved with a nuke.

Assholes!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well.....

Some Director of Internal Security or some such title got gunned down with his bodyguards this morning....

I'm reminded of that one skit in the TV show Police Squad!, where Leslie Neilsen is trying to determine the angle the murder victim was shot at by shooting a bunch of people from different angles. Big pile of dead people in the corner.

Except this is real....

Suneson, like other Nuevo Laredo residents, blamed the consumption of narcotics in the United States for the city's violence. He called for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to provide more intelligence to Mexican officials in order to effectively clamp down on the drug gangs operating on the border.

"They need to come in here and clean this place up" Suneson said. "It's not an impossible task. It just takes political will."

Can you believe this shit? It's OUR fault that their government can't keep the peace, and WE have to go down there and fix it!

Here's an idea: B-52 Archlight mission. They'd level the city in less than an hour, and avoid all the nasties involved with a nuke.

Assholes!

Slow down the war wagons there Cochise!!!

I've gotta grab one (or two ) before you level happy land!!!

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#21]
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT.....If one were to turn the political shit bag off between the hours of 2200-0600 on a given day.....the problem could go away.................................
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Slow down the war wagons there Cochise!!!

I've gotta grab one (or two ) before you level happy land!!!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/nationwide/zona2.jpg

Where is that?

Is that some square or other I've heard the prostitutes hang out at?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well.....

Except this is real....

Assholes!

Hey Suneson - how about a trade?  DEA intel for your gov to do anything about the fucking border................?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Dunno Zaphod, I don't see the Daddy Chickens sign anywhere
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top