Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 7:07:19 AM EDT
We’re not even back from ‘Bama for a week and I already need more trigger time.  Anyone up for a group get together at the Charlie Elliott range on Saturday, June 21?  I can’t make it the following weekend because I’m moving my parents (who own an upright piano – ouch!).  

What say ye?

I think this time I want to bring some bolt guns and .22lr rifles (it’s MUCH cheaper to shoot .22s – lol).  I might even bring a muzzleloader so I can smoke out the range nazi if he’s there.  A cheap muzzleloader can be a LOT of fun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm definitely in!  Remind me to bring 2 battlepacks this time!    
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't make it gotta work.  I won't have weekends off till August.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Just ate some chicken from Publix....my stomach hurts bad! dangit ive got class tonight....  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Out of town.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah Ill go, that sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in.......I think.
Edited to add:  If anybody needs any parts, I can stop by Ga. Precision and pick'm up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool.  I'll e-mail a few of the guys who don't peek in here very often.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#8]
June 21st sounds good to this newbie :-) I will bring my 22lr as well. Maybe a few of us could meet up somewhere to ride together? I am close to Norcross and Duluth here and live close to exit 13 off 400. Let me know. I have only been to CE the one time with Hobbit. I look forward to meeting you guys and firing off some rounds.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I plan on being there on the 20th as well as the 21st. I had already taken that time off for the cancelled Tennessee shoot camping trip so I'm going to use that as trigger time anyhow.
I finally got my extra mags for my P89, four 15's and one 30... gotta test em out!!

gilfrd
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad you can make it, vetekbob.  I'll be coming down from Buford.  If you want to meet up somewhere, I'm agreeable.  

The range opens for shooting (although you CAN setup before 10:00 - this is another story for later) at 10:00.  First come, first serve.  Some of us meet at the Cracker Barrel off I-20 exit 82 at 08:00 for breakfast.  We migrate to the range around 09:00, which usually puts us at the range around 09:30.

Here's the info on the CB (use MapQuest to figure out your directions):

Conyers, GA
I-20 , Exit# 82
I-20 & State Route 138
1182 Dogwood Drive
Conyers, GA 30094
Located off I-20
* Bus & RV Parking Available
(770) 785-7600

Here are directions directly to the WMA range:

If driving from Atlanta, I-20 east to exit 98. Take a right and go down the road (south). You will go until you get to the town of Mansfield, GA. From the train tracks in the middle of town you will travel 2.7 miles, when you will come to a sign for Charlie Elliot WMA. Take a left, and the range is 1.4 miles down the road, on the left. The paved road will turn into a dirt road just before the range. There is a sign indicating where the range is, and you can see it from the road. The range is about 1 hour driving time from downtown Atlanta.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry can't make it.
Y'all have fun.

ARH
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I can make it. Looking forward to meeting some of the Georgia Gang.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Can't make it. Damn! foiled again. That's ok because I'm leaving that morning for a week at Orange Beach, AL. AHHHH Sand, surf, cold beer for a whole week  Mmmmmmmm  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Won't be able to make this one. Someone needs to take a camera in my place.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Evening Book,
We can meet up some where to ride together. Gonna be ordering 5 15 rnd mags for my 9mm and hopefully they will be here in time for the shoot :) I got my hks mag speedloader in today and I sure do like it :) I ordered it from thinkhunting.com Very prompt shipping and email with tracking number although no magnet lol :P I need to get me a box of 500 rnd 22lr ammo and some targets and possibly a stand although I dont know how much of the target will actually be hit lol It seems I had better aim with Hobbits Ar at 100 yards than I did with the handguns that day but I guess we all have to start some where :) At least I am in the game to stay!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Won't be able to make this one. Someone needs to take a camera in my place.

have camera will travel

gilfrd
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh well...
Yet again, I'll be at work. You guys show Vetekbob a good time. I've been bragging on you.

Vetekbob- will be placing order tonight, shipping to clinic. Hopefully, it'll be here well before you need it. Put some CLP on that Marlin 60...

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm gonna make this one!!! My first group shoot!!

I'll bring plenty of toys and my digi cam!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, some veterans laying low and some new guys showing.  I think it's all good.  I can't wait.  

vetekbob, I'm bringing several toys for you.  All I'm gonna shoot this time out is a cheap CVA muzzleloader (with which I've already killed several deer, thank you very much).  I'm just gonna get off on you shooting different toys.

I can't wait my friends.  (vetekbob - I'll send you my numbers so we can chat.)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Whats a bolt gun look like?

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Whats a bolt gun look like?

Well, it's long and pointy looking and has this little neato lever on the side.  When you lift the lever and pull back, you can load/unload a new round.  

Some say that semi-auto is the "wave of the future", but I think that's all just crazy-talk.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you folks have CE shoot every month?

I've just got back from Atlanta, rented an apartment in Buckhead area (close to I-85) ready for Georgia Tech.

Beginning this fall, I can't wait to join you folks at Georgia if you don't mind
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've just got back from Atlanta, rented an apartment in Buckhead area (close to I-85) ready for Georgia Tech.

Beginning this fall, I can't wait to join you folks at Georgia if you don't mind

We don't really have a schedule at CE.
We just go when we feel like it, and no we don't mind if you join us.
Welcome aboard MaverickMkii.

ARH

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

We just go whenever the urge strikes.  In fact, the urge struck me so I went for a couple hours today.  For some reason the range cleared shortly after I arrived.  I'm not sure why.  Gave me a complex.  

Anyway, definitely come and join us.  I'm sure you'll have a good time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

MaverickMkii, I work downtown near Tech and I sometimes go see my buddy sing in Midtown, lemme know if you need anything. I don't know road names but I can usually find my way around. When you get the shooting urge, just post and we usually chime in. If you post it, we will come!!!

Welcome to Atlanta!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
We just go whenever the urge strikes.  In fact, the urge struck me so I went for a couple hours today.  For some reason the range cleared shortly after I arrived.  I'm not sure why.  Gave me a complex.  

Sounds like you brought that damn FAL carbine.  Damn thing gave me a temporary flinch, who knows what it did to a bunch of deerhunters...  
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you brought that damn FAL carbine.  Damn thing gave me a temporary flinch, who knows what it did to a bunch of deerhunters...  

Yeah...I heard someone say "who wants to go down and grab that barrel?".  That was after I dumped 2 mags.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I think I'm in and I'll check with Ken to see if he wants in on going.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Anybody know how to load a black powder pistol. I got one for Christmas a while back and can not find any info on how much powder and how to load the thing. thought I would bring it if someone could show me how to load it.

Just pour some powder in there and stuff a bullet in.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd like to go on the 21st. I have to work until 1 p.m. but I could drive down th CE after that if you guys are gonna still be around after 2 p.m. I'd like to meet you guys if you're going to be there that afternoon. I'll bring my AR and my FAL with me. Need to get some help sighting in my AR and FAL if you guys could help me out with that I'd apprecoate it. Let me know and I'll come out there after work.

Andy
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I have to help my folks with some stuff (they are getting ready for a move) Saturday at 15:00.  So, I'll need to leave the range no later than 14:00.  This also means no Hooters for me this time.  

I'm sure some other guys will hang around past 14:00 though.

(vetecbob and muddy, I'll call you guys in a day or so regarding car pooling.  If you want to stay at the range longer than 14:00, maybe someone else can give you a lift back.  Hope this doesn't mess you guys up.)

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Anybody know how to load a black powder pistol. I got one for Christmas a while back and can not find any info on how much powder and how to load the thing. thought I would bring it if someone could show me how to load it.

What kind of revolver is it?  Also, what caliber?  I don't own a blackpowder revolver, but have several friends who do.  CVA and some other companies make "starter kits" for both rifles and pistols.  The kits come with everything you need to clean, maintain and shoot your muzzleloader.  On some revolvers, you must remove the cylinder to reload it.

You wanna talk about dirty?  Wait until you shoot a few rounds out of that revolver.  

Also, keep an eye on that thing.  Don't clean it and put it in the safe for a few months thinking it won't rust.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey Mark and All,

I'm new in the forum.  Would like to say hello.
Already met Mark once.

I'll try to go to this one on Saturday.  What's the drill?  That is, what time, where, etc. do we meet?  Anything (beside the gun) to bring?

Just got an AR-10 and still need to break the barrel.  As Armalite's procedure seems to be quite long and tedious I do not expect to have much "plinking fun" at this time.

I'll bring one or two of my air rifles as per Mark's request.  :-))

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Rossi, good to hear from you.  I’m glad you can make it Saturday.

The range opens at 10:00 for shooting.  You can setup before 10:00, but no shooting until 10:00 (or you can incur a hefty fine).

Some of us meet for breakfast at a Cracker Barrel restaurant (directions/address at the bottom of this post), which is on the way to the range, at 08:00.  If we leave the CB around 09:00, we can be at the range just before 09:30 to setup.

At the range, you’ll need hearing and eye protection.  You’ll also need targets and some type of target stand (“for sale” or “vote for…” signs work well).  No metal targets or target stands are allowed.  There is a 100-yard rifle range and a 50-yard pistol range.  Targets may be placed at any distance on any of the ranges.  All shooting areas are covered and they do have benches.

After the shoot, we sometimes stop to grab a late lunch.  It looks like I’m going to make breakfast, but can’t make lunch this time.

I’m excited about the air rifles.  Are you going to bring one with a silencer?  I can’t wait to see these things.

Cracker Barrel info:
Conyers, GA
I-20 , Exit# 82
I-20 & State Route 138
1182 Dogwood Drive
Conyers, GA 30094
Located off I-20
* Bus & RV Parking Available
(770) 785-7600

Directions to the range:
If driving from Atlanta, I-20 east to exit 98. Take a right and go down the road (south). You will go until you get to the town of Mansfield, GA. From the train tracks in the middle of town you will travel 2.7 miles, when you will come to a sign for Charlie Elliot WMA. Take a left, and the range is 1.4 miles down the road, on the left. The paved road will turn into a dirt road just before the range. There is a sign indicating where the range is, and you can see it from the road. The range is about 1 hour driving time from downtown Atlanta.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Well Im gonna try to make it, If we had some longer range and I could afford a scope Id bring my AR50.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Taxman, hope to see ya there.  You gonna try to make breakfast?  It's the best opportunity to talk WITHOUT HAVING TO YELL OVER THE SHOOTING!  

Can you hear me now?  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the directions.  I'll give you a  confirmation call on Friday.

As for the air rifle(s). The Talon SS has the incorporated silencer but I think it will not be the best choice for this range (50 yards is quite long for an air rifle).  I would have to reconfigure it by exchanging the original 12in  for a 25in barrel for the extended range.  In that case it loses the "silencer" because the barrel extends outside the shroud.  It is a very nice rifle, and the one I normaly use with the NV scope to snipe the mice in my backyard.

Other one I think would work well for the range (50 yards) is the Beeman Super 12.

There are some bigbore air rifles that would work for the 100 yards range, but I do not have any of them (yet).  :-))

Cheers!

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Taxman, hope to see ya there.  You gonna try to make breakfast?  It's the best opportunity to talk WITHOUT HAVING TO YELL OVER THE SHOOTING!  

Can you hear me now?  

I'll try for it I got to come from Augusta, and although I can handel my Impala at "intended speed" the state partol wont let me drive that fast, so it takes me some time to get there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks folks.

Being a college student, I won't be able to shoot a lot or very often, but I think I can certainly shoot once every month at CE.

You folks have fun!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm headed out now to CE, if anyone is interested in joining me out on the range, come on out!
Hopefully today and tomorrw will be without JBT's, with shorts.

See ya!
gilfrd
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#41]
What time is everyone going out???
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I’ve been slammed at work this week, so I haven’t yet gotten a chance to talk to vetecbob and muddy.  They’re both supposed to ride with me.  I do plan to make it to CB for breakfast.  We should be at the range by 09:30 or so.  I’ll be mainly shooting pistols and some muzzleloaders this time out.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#43]
My son and I will get there around 9:30/9:45 and start setting up.  Due to CE rules you can't shoot until 10:00.  My oldest wants to get in some FAL practice for an upcoming match.  Me too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Well I'll be there but Ken will not be making it this time. I'll be there at 9:00A.M. hopefully and will try to get a good seat.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Evening all. I am looking forward to my first CE shoot tomorrow :) It will be fun meeting everyone and firing off a few thousand rounds. BTW for those interested, Walmart had 22lr ammo for 9 bucks for a box of 550 (federal) I snagged 2 for the shoot tomorrow. See everyone tomorrow morning :)
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Vetekbob and Crew-
Have fun tomorrow. Burn some powder for me.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Hi! Anybody passing by the Discover Mills Mall on the way to the range?  We could mee there and ride together.
Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#48]
No CB for me, boys.  I'll probably get to the range about 9:30 or so, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top