Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 11:36:49 AM EDT
Hello,

I am real new to the game.have Since the ban has lapped.  But I do not know where to begin.  I hate being a newbie.  I feel so stupid sometimes.  Are there any shops near or around Marietta or north metro Atanta where I could go look and get a feel for what is out there and what might  suit my fancy.  Thanks in advance for any and all help.  Also, I have to shoot left handed because I can't quint my right eye.  Is that going to be a problem with a assualt gunTHANKS !!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Assault gun? quint? atanta? Dallas in GA?

I believe
its a trap
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe that Utah air has gotten to you.  hat Whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.  Yes, there is a Dallas in Ga.  13 miles west of Marietta.  Ever heard of that or does it not exist too?  I am just trying to get some info.  That's it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't get defensive
Its a running joke here that if someone whos a regular here pretends to not know something or be a newbie then its a trap. We even have a pic for it.
They are not assault rifles anymore. For a lefty there are lots of problems because most semi autos eject to the right. You can get left hand eject AR15s, I think, maybe a FAL would work for you too.

sorry about the misunderstanding, its a running joke

ETA: link for lefty lefty AR thread
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry. I just didn't want people to think I am anything more than someone looking ot learn a little about weapons.  Thanks for the info.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Bernie's.
I have not had problems when transitioning from right to left handed shooting with an AR.

www.bernies-sports.com/

ARH

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
come to think of it, I have a friend with the same problem (switched eyes) and he shot my AR no problem. Just make sure that your rifle ejects away from you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Greetings and welcome new guy.  How about building your own first assault rifle gun, it's fun, its easy, and you'll know how to fix most problems.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Greetings and welcome new guy.  How about building your own first assault rifle gun, it's fun, its easy, and you'll know how to fix most problems.

thats a good idea and it does save you some money
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome fellow gun owner!

The not being able to close your off eye would work great with one of the reddot/reflex sights.  They are made for both eyes open sighting.

As to which rifle.  What do you want the rifle to do?  Form really follows function when it comes to AR's.

If you are used to 30 cal rifles, you might just like one of the AR-10 style rifles.  Operates like an AR, and uses 7.62 NATO ammo.

Barrel length is another area, I like the 20 inchers, many prefer the 16 inch length.

Seek and ye shall find.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

hr

That sounds good to me.  But I have no idea how to do that.   I can see myelf trying to do that.  I would have even less hair from scratching my head.  I have no doubt I could do it.  I just  have no idea how.  Where can I find some info at?  Thanks again for your help.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds good to me.  But I have no idea how to do that.   I can see myelf trying to do that.  I would have even less hair from scratching my head.  I have no doubt I could do it.  I just  have no idea how.  Where can I find some info at?  Thanks again for your help.    

Well you've come to the right place on learning the "how too's" of an AR15 rifle.  With a little research on this board, you'll be provided enough intelligence to assemble your own with minimal tool purchases.  And if you don't want to buy tools, there are a bunch of guys here that will gladly lend you a hand.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I am also in Dallas. You have one of the better gun shops around Atlanta, right here in Paulding County. C3 Sports is located at the corner of Hwy. 61 and Hwy. 278, up on the hill. Talk to Buzz and he will lead you in the right direction. Unfortunately for you, that direction will drain your wallet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am also in Dallas. You have one of the better gun shops around Atlanta, right here in Paulding County. C3 Sports is located at the corner of Hwy. 61 and Hwy. 278, up on the hill. Talk to Buzz and he will lead you in the right direction. Unfortunately for you, that direction will drain your wallet.hr

I have been there.  I have found some complete guns on the net way cheaper than him.  Even with the little fee some of them want it is still tons cheaper.  I like the fellas idea of building a gun.  I just have no idea where to start.  I have sen lowers, etc for sale.  But heck I have no idea how to put together.  Anybody willing to help?  h.gif  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
check out the Information section under AR-15 assembly. Gives full instructions for the Lower. Uppers you can do a search, somebody posted how in the last like 3 weeks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
check out the Information section under AR-15 assembly. Gives full instructions for the Lower. Uppers you can do a search, somebody posted how in the last like 3 weeks

THANK YOU !!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Don't get defensive
Its a running joke here that if someone whos a regular here pretends to not know something or be a newbie then its a trap. We even have a pic for it.
They are not assault rifles anymore. For a lefty there are lots of problems because most semi autos eject to the right. You can get left hand eject AR15s, I think, maybe a FAL would work for you too.

sorry about the misunderstanding, its a running joke

ETA: link for lefty lefty AR thread

These NEVER FUCKING WERE ASSAULT RIFLES.  IN ORDER TO BE AN ASSAULT RIFLE, THEY MUST BE CAPABLE OF SELECT FIRE...............GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They were called "semiautomatic assault weapons" (a completely fabricated term) in order to create confusion between them and assault rifles and it seems to have worked well, even among those that should know better.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lots of us local boys roll our own ARs.  I can help and I'm sure others will offer too.  

First tip - do NOT buy anything until you have a chance to try some of ours.  There really are a lot of choices.  Within the GA gang, I think we've got all the variations (and then some) covered.

That said, what do you primarily want to do with the rifle?  Matches?  Home defense?  Plinking?  Target shooting?  Kill the zombie horde when they march on Dallas?  Scare the neighbors?  Hunting?

Of course, we all know the answer is ALL of the above!  he
Stick with a good name brand.  Right now I think Rock River Arms is the best bang for the buck.  Other choices include Buchmaster, Colt and Armalite.

Welcome!

That sounds good to me.  Were do you all meet to shoot at?  I was thiniking of a colt m4 carbine?  Is that good or bad?  I have seen some LEO version for sale around a grand.  I would really rather build one.  If someone was willing to show me how.  I would be willing to pay someone to teach me a little bit.  Becausee I have no clue where to even start?  

Thanks !!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
BookHound gave some really good advice.  Our little group pretty much has all the makers and configurations covered.  Put your hands on a few of 'em to see what you like.  I've got one of the Colt LE carbines and you're more than welcome to check it out.  I'm also available to help if you decide you wanna try your hand at building, although BookHound is quite a bit more experienced than me.  Just don't let him near your AR with a claw hammer.    We typically get together to shoot at a place called Charlie Elliot or CE for short.  It's a Wildlife Management Area out near Conyers.  Keep your eye on the forum for the next shoot or just post that you are interested in getting something together.  People will usually jump on board once someone gets the ball rolling.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lots of us local boys roll our own ARs.  I can help and I'm sure others will offer too.  

First tip - do NOT buy anything until you have a chance to try some of ours.  There really are a lot of choices.  Within the GA gang, I think we've got all the variations (and then some) covered.

That said, what do you primarily want to do with the rifle?  Matches?  Home defense?  Plinking?  Target shooting?  Kill the zombie horde when they march on Dallas?  Scare the neighbors?  Hunting?

Of course, we all know the answer is ALL of the above!  

Of the top of my head I suggest a 16" chrome-lined barrel in either a mid-length or carbine length (this refers to the length of the gas tube; barrels are still 16" on both systems).  The upper should be a flat top, which offers more versatility.  Skip the removable carry handle.  Buy a good BUIS (Back Up Iron Sight) for the same or less money.

Stick with a good name brand.  Right now I think Rock River Arms is the best bang for the buck.  Other choices include Buchmaster, Colt and Armalite.

Welcome!

That sounds good to me.  Were do you all meet to shoot at?  I was thiniking of a colt m4 carbine?  Is that good or bad?  I have seen some LEO version for sale around a grand.  I would really rather build one.  If someone was willing to show me how.  I would be willing to pay someone to teach me a little bit.  Becausee I have no clue where to even start?  

Thanks !!  

Time to start researching the "build it yourself" area and start collecting parts.  Bookhound is right about the RRA parts, IMHO that are the best quality going.  I do build from RRA parts and the barrel of my choosing for whatever flavor I'm in to.  At the moment I'm building an USGI A2 clone with milsurp govt. barrel, which are hard to get now, but patient I am.

I'm 50 miles south of Atlanta, but will be glad to help out on a build.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Isn't there an FOP shoot scheduled this October?

I'd invite you up to my range this weekend to try some guns out but a dozen gun fanatics have taken it over for the weekend to train with some ex-Delta Force guy in the mud.

Oh, and it will be wet and MUDDY. J/K the range is pretty rocky and appears to be built on granite.

maxpain, if you want to go out next weekend IM me. The range is about an hour north of Marietta near Jasper. I've got AR-15s in the 14.5", 16" and 20" flavors.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'd invite you up to my range this weekend to try some guns out but a dozen gun fanatics have taken it over for the weekend to train with some ex-Delta Force guy in the mud.

Bastards!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top