Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 10/30/2003 3:57:09 PM EST
I received the end cap and firing pin back from the manufacturer today. Here is a photo of the real deal US DOJ ATFE NFA registered live 60 mm M2 mortar. The end cap, barrel and firing pin are brand new. The baseplate, bipod and sight are WWII vintage. I still need to paint the barrel and end cap. Note the NFA Form 1 and inert practice round. I'll use Thunderbird Cartridge Co. M4 ignition cartridges to launch the practice rounds out in the desert.

Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:07:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:16:33 PM EST

Hey, MortarMan!(Different)

WHEN will it DBS?????
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:36:07 PM EST
WAY COOL! Sorry I missed you guys, but life got a little complicated with family issues. You're really super sizing your toys!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:49:02 AM EST
Great! Just what we need, ANOTHER registered tube on the line at DBS! Couldn't you think of building something........"different"?

Seriously dude, way cool. I will be looking forward to chronicling every aspect on video for the end of year highlight film!

See ya on the 15th

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:12:40 AM EST
Holy shit! That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

How much does something like that cost? Are they like registered machine guns in that there is a limited number of transferable one available? Where do you get ammo for that? What kind of ammo is available for them?

That's too cool.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:48:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/31/2003 10:59:05 AM EST by Different]
Good news, ordnance fans! The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 only banned the new manufacture of transferrable machine guns. You can still manufacture (ATF Form 1) short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, suppressors, AOWs, and destructive devices. Remember! You must get the Form 1 approved and in your hot little hands first before making / assembling parts for a Title 2 firearm. Also check your state and local laws first before beginning such a project. You still do the CLEO signoff, FBI fingerprint cards, passport photos, citizenship certification form and $200 tax. From mail in to receipt, the Form 1 took 121 days to approve. Then I had to wait another three days to do the FFL transfer for the end cap. On mortars, the end cap is considered a Title 1 (yellow ATF Form 4473) firearm. You CAN legally own these in Nevada. Las Vegas Metro took nine days to sign my NFA Forms. Not too bad. Do your homework but the Bardwell NFA FAQ is very helpful. You can access it from www.titleii.com

Inert practice rounds can be bought from surplus dealers for the 60 mm mortar. They typically cost $25 or $30 each but they are reusable. Ignition cartridges run me $0.85 each. The cost of my mortar kit (barrel, end cap, firing pin, bipod, base plate, sight and NFA tax) was $1702.00. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:50:46 AM EST
I am sure Different will chime in here but he said he did in on a form 1 which meeans he built it. If it was a transfer, it would have been on a form 4.

Kinda brings back memories of the pre-86 days when you could have converted your AR to full auto with a form 1 and a $200 check!


Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:56:46 AM EST
rickinvegas, you are exactly correct. You can buy a transferrable mortar on a Form 4. But honestly, you don't see those for sale very often. I "manufactured" this on a Form 1. The barrel, end cap and firing pin are cherry. It was probably cheaper to do it this way anyway. Last NFA registered 60 mm mortar I saw for sale was in March, 2000 at the Great Western Gun Show in Las Vegas. The price for that mortar was $3000.00.

If you want to get a black powder mortar those don't require NFA registration. Member kevin over at www.1919a4.com is selling 60 mm and 81 mm black powder mortar kits I believe.

Mrs. Different and I plan to pop some mortar cherry this Sunday.
Top Top