Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 11:26:40 AM EDT
I just registered here, and I'm not sure if this is the way to post this.

I am 17, hence I am not old enough to get a FOID on my own, and my parents are ultra liberals, they yelled at me for hours for getting an airsoft gun. They also tried the, it could kill someone threat, and I laughted and told them to kill me with it then, and I will never forget the face my father made when he shot me with it and I started laughing.

I am in the northwest suburbs, Palatine, if you are interested. I did however go up in the Wisconsin country side for a few months last year, and all we did was shoot. The bug hit me and I have been wanting to go shooting but my parents are not interested in it, and don't want to get a FOID for themselves because they think the state puts you on some sort of watch if you have guns.

I realize that I cannot go to a range by myself, and rent firearms, because I am too young and I don't posess a FOID card, and it would be insanely stupid of me to get a gun without the FOID and shoot it in my yard because my neighbors call the cops on everyone for doing anything, including walking on their grass, and I am fairly sure the town has a law against discharging firearms within the city limits.

My questions are, are any of you guys up north here? Are there any places to go shooting around here? or do I have to go visit my friends outside of Madison everytime I want to go shooting?
If someone here would like to go shooting with me, I can furnish the cash for the ammo, and pay you to "rent" your gun. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to going up to Wisonsin if someone is right across the border off of 90 or 94.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
problem i see is tech you are a minor and even though i do not agree with your parents on firearm issues, i could not in good faith allow you to shoot any of my weapons without their consent. it sucks too cuz i think every kid shoot learn to properly handle firearms at a very early age, i have 3 kids (that i know of) and bought each a  gun when the turned 12 and taught them proper saftey and how to shoot.

i know you are 17 and  will do what you want anyway, but you should respect your parents as long as you live under their roof. only advice i can give you is keep up trying to switch their eveil ways and get them to convert to the good side of firearms.

do you have relatives in cheesville that shoot? if so maybe you can bring dad shooting, get him hooked or at least intrested.

considering you are 17, have you tried whinning and crying ans stomping your foot untill you get your way like most kids your age??

edited to add" i know one team member that  still lives at home with mom and dad, was over 21 and had to hide his first ar15 at my work cuz his parents did not want him to own it. but  he is technically an adult
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
<snip>
edited to add" i know one team member that  still lives at home with mom and dad, was over 21 and had to hide his first ar15 at my work cuz his parents did not want him to own it. but  he is technically an adult

We (under 21 years old) are only selectively labeled as adults. If we do some sort of serious crime, we're being charged as an Adult. Yet, no drinking. I could care less, really.

HerrLeutnant, if I were you, I would try talking your dad (hell, even your mom) into going up to Packer-country and shoot with you.

I'm just thankfull that my parents have been VERY accomodating to my firearms wants. Fortunately, I just turned 19, and have been buying rifles/shotgun for a little over a year without needing their help.

Damn, thinking about it now, I got my first shotgun when I was in 5th grade, first .22 rifle a year or two later, after I turned 16, I payed for my AK.

Don't worry, man. Keep hammering on them. Everything gives sooner or later

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
wizzo its not  21 that makes you not an adult, under 18 and you are a minor. period end of story parents own you till then, after 18 you can do pretty much whatever you want, except drink
but you are considered a legal adult at 18
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can steal away to our buffalo shoot, you can shoot all my guns. Best of luck to you bro, just a few more years and you'll be home free. Just save up your $$ and be able to buy cool stuff then!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
HerrLeutnant,

How long until you turn 18?  It may just be an issue of you getting to your birthday, and go from there.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you have to be 21 to get a FOID card w/o parents approval, though. Right?

Or did they change that?

Like Kalahnikid said, you can come down to Blastfest and introduce yourself. I'll let you shoot what I bring, too (I'll probably be somewhere purdy close to Kalahnikid anyway because of this pistol shoot-off we have planned)

I think there are some directions somewhere on here on how to get there (Buffalo Range)

There are a couple threads tacked at the top of this forum that you could look through for more info.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
CAGE sting?

JK.

How long till you turn 18?

When you're 18, you could move out of state for school or join the military. If you go the school route, have your addy changed on your DL and you will be able to buy guns in another state. Once you move back here have it changed back.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#9]
18 to get an  foid card without parents permission,  which allows you to buy rifles and ammo, 21 to buy handguns

tbk1, you do not look a day over 46, but honey bee looks about 24
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#10]

under 18 and you are a minor
Actually, by the letter of the law, if you are 17, you are an adult.  Lots of people don't know that.  We get 'kids' shoplifting all the time and think because they are 17, they will be treated as a Juvi, boy are they suprised when the cuffs come out  But at 16, we have to process them as a Juvi.  So here is the break down:
17:  considered an adult
18:  can serve your country in military, vote and also buy rifle/shotgun.
21:  NOW you are an adult (sarcasm on) and can drink and buy a handgun (nevermind the fact for the passed 3 years you were good enough to die for your country )
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

under 18 and you are a minor
Actually, by the letter of the law, if you are 17, you are an adult.  Lots of people don't know that.  We get 'kids' shoplifting all the time and think because they are 17, they will be treated as a Juvi, boy are they suprised when the cuffs come out  But at 16, we have to process them as a Juvi.  So here is the break down:
17:  considered an adult
18:  can serve your country in military, vote and also buy rifle/shotgun.
21:  NOW you are an adult (sarcasm on) and can drink and buy a handgun (nevermind the fact for the passed 3 years you were good enough to die for your country )

but under 18 and you are still the responsibility of your parents. you are talking about criminal liabilty and charging a 17 year old as an adult. try signing a contract at 17 and see what the judge says about being a minor or adult, parents can get the contract null and void
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
18 to get an  foid card without parents permission,  which allows you to buy rifles and ammo, 21 to buy handguns

You can't get an foid until 21 without parents permission.

From the isp website:
I am under the age of 21, can I apply for a FOID card?

Yes. In addition to all other requirements, a person who is under 21 years of age must have the written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition. Also, he or she must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent. The parent or legal guardian providing written consent must be eligible to possess a valid FOID card.

This is just from the FAQs, but it says that on the application also.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you can steal away to our buffalo shoot, you can shoot all my guns. Best of luck to you bro, just a few more years and you'll be home free. Just save up your $$ and be able to buy cool stuff then!

Herr, You won't get into Buffalo Range w/o FOID

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, so it looks like I am moving out of state as soon as I can. My birthday is a ways off (December), and I'm only a junior in high school right now, so I can't do much till June next year, especially if the foid requires the parent's approval.

As far as convincing my parents, I've been nagging at them for a good 8-9 years, Boy Scouts really started it, but last summer made it much worse. They are convinced that I "will shoot up the school" or some similar bullshit. My dad went shooting with me while I was in Boy Scouts, and he is a pansy, I am not sure of a nicer way to put it. My mother went duck hunting with my grandfather when she was younger and the sound and the dead animals scared her away. They dont like that I have an airsoft gun that honestly couldn't hurt anyone from more than 3" away. I am out of ideas to try changing them. I have proven that I can handle firearms in a responsible manner, I took the hunter Training program twice, and they wouldn't let me go hunting with my grandfather.

(Sarcasm on) I guess I should just put out someone's eye with my airsoft gun to prove them right (Sarcasm off) if only I could remember where I put it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
A Boy Scout eh? Good for you, what rank are you?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Just suck it up and wait until you turn 18.  Then move out, go to college or whatever, prove you can be responsible, and buy yourself a gun.  

And yes, it would be insanely stupid of you to get a gun without a FOID.  And very, very illegal.  Don't toss your right to own a firearm forever because you can't wait a couple of months to turn 18.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
" Also, he or she must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent"

Wow.  In WI, I can have a M11 with a suppressor, but I can't even get a FOID in IL!?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Last Blast Fest I asked  the guy at the counter if he needed to see my FOID card, he said his job was to make sure I filled out the waiver and signed it!  He said they dont sell guns or ammo so they dont have to card you! ( he also wanted to make sure he got his $20)
I thought that was interesting!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top