Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 1:03:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 1:04:14 PM EST by cabbage0dusk]
Well,

I'm a 19year old university student and i've wanted to get into shooting since a young age, but never really had the chance, and thought it was basicaly impossible to get firearms in the UK unless you were a farmer (i know, it was pretty nieve of me..).

I don't have much experiance with any firearms, but i'd really like to try out practical rifle or shotgun..

I'm currently studying at the ARU in cambridge, and over the holidays i live with my dad in Kent..

Is there any advice you could give me to try and get me started out (links to local clubs .etc.) Any information what-so-ever will be helpful at this stage..

Thanks alot,
Kameron
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:21:24 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:26:02 PM EST
Welcome to the sport......you've just made your first step!!!

I'm not from your neck of the woods so can't offer any advice on local gun clubs, but the best thng to do is find out where they are, go along and get your probationary membership started, and see how you enjoy the sport from there.

You may find there are more small bore/rimfire clubs to go to as they can often be set up within a building, old drill hall etc.

Hope you enjoy your venture into shooting.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:30:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 1:33:39 PM EST by cabbage0dusk]
Yeah i think that'd probably be what i'd like to get intohe
Do you have to be in the services to do this shooting? If not.. how hard is it to find a club to join?

And thanks for the warm welcomes, yeah i've been looking about abit and it seems there are afew small bore clubs near my dads house..
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:34:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:39:43 PM EST
Ohyeah sorry, I'm in cambridge at the moment, and will be at my dads in kent over the summer hol's
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:54:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/3/2008 1:55:51 PM EST by Bunnyassassin]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:05:11 PM EST
Well im in cambridge till roughly june 20th, and in kent from then till september 1st.

I'd deffinatly be up for going along to an openday though, even if it meant i had to travel abit, i'll take a look now
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:23:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:28:35 PM EST
Yeah, thanks alot for the help too! really appreciate it..
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:55:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bunnyassassin:
How much time do you have.....?

Loads of clubs on offer... and Open days looming (I think) ... (ETA: Links may not be valid )

You could really do with coming along for a look???

That site lists only a very small number of clubs. There's plenty more!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:43:04 PM EST
Have you got any links to (prefereably) NRA clubs in and around Cambridge or Kent?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:56:33 PM EST
Do you drive?

My club is near Stansted Airport, only about 40 mins from Cambridge. We shoot regularly at Andrewsfield (near Dunmow ), occasionally shoot at Barton Road (Jcn12 M11) and Bassingbourne Barracks (near Royston) as well as Bisley.

You'll be more than welcome to come along to one of out open days (or evenings) and see if you like it.

IM me if you're interested.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:24:41 PM EST
Welcome to the board...

My regular club has a 'Guest day' on 1st Sunday of every month......

HPRPC

....and isn't too far from Kent.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:28:46 PM EST
In Kent you have Hythe & Lydd MOD ranges.

There must be a local full-bore club who shoot on these ranges (I think Rixy52 on here shoots at Lydd?)

Cheers
Steven
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:57:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By cabbage0dusk:
Well,

I'm a 19year old university student and i've wanted to get into shooting since a young age, but never really had the chance, and thought it was basicaly impossible to get firearms in the UK unless you were a farmer (i know, it was pretty nieve of me..).

I don't have much experiance with any firearms, but i'd really like to try out practical rifle or shotgun..

I'm currently studying at the ARU in cambridge, and over the holidays i live with my dad in Kent..

Is there any advice you could give me to try and get me started out (links to local clubs .etc.) Any information what-so-ever will be helpful at this stage..

Thanks alot,
Kameron

Enjoy shooting! I had the same nirvana moment when I realized I could legally own handguns.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:12:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By steven_uk:
In Kent you have Hythe & Lydd MOD ranges.

There must be a local full-bore club who shoot on these ranges (I think Rixy52 on here shoots at Lydd?)

Cheers
Steven

yep, I shoot with lydd rifle club and we use both hythe and lydd. If you're interested I'm me as we've a couple of shoots coming up and you'd be welcome to come along.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:22:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 8:23:20 AM EST by Tyga]
The best advice i can give you is to try everything!

There's so much variation out there... personally i love Practical Shotgun (shoot fast, don't miss! The most fun you can have with your clothes on!), Gallery Rifle, and Mini-rifle, whereas a lot of people on here enjoy Service rifle.

You may find you enjoy black powder, .22 precision, F-class, cowboy action, target rifle, speed steel, any of the above, or simply putting lead down range.

Have a go at as much as you can, find what you like, and they pick a suitable club.

Hope to cya on a range soon.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:48:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tyga:

There's so much variation out there... personally i love Practical Shotgun (shoot fast, don't miss! The most fun you can have with your clothes on!), Gallery Rifle, and Mini-rifle, whereas a lot of people on here enjoy Service rifle.

You may find you enjoy black powder, .22 precision, F-class, cowboy action, target rifle, speed steel, any of the above, or simply putting lead down range.

Have a go at as much as you can, find what you like, and they pick a suitable club.

Jim

Phew!

For a minute I thought you were gonna mention airsoft!

Where's Steve when you need him?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:04:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 10:04:53 AM EST by streetfighter]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:10:45 AM EST
hmmm I wonder which one Streetfighter is into??
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:27:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 10:27:47 AM EST by streetfighter]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:38:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 10:39:45 AM EST by limey1]

Originally Posted By Scope-eye:

Here I am

Airsoft is flippin' huge in Hong Kong. Why not try some whilst you are there?
And no, its not (ghey)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:17:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 11:18:18 AM EST by Tyga]

Originally Posted By limey1:

Originally Posted By Scope-eye:

Here I am

Airsoft is flippin' huge in Hong Kong. Why not try some whilst you are there?
And no, its not (ghey)

Airsoft isn't shooting, it's playing with toys...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:20:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By streetfighter:

There's so much variation out there... personally i love Practical Shotgun (ghey)(shoot fast, don't miss! The most fun you can have with your clothes on!), Gallery Rifle (ghey), and Mini-rifle (ghey), whereas a lot of people on here enjoy Service rifle (NOT GHEY).

You may find you enjoy black powder, .22 precision (ghey), F-class (ghey), cowboy action (ghey), target rifle (ghey), speed steel (ghey), any of the above (ghey), or simply putting lead down range (ghey).

Jim

Nice to see you have an open mind...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:26:54 AM EST

Airsoft is so very, very, very dangerous that FAC holders cannot buy them
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:29:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:34:37 AM EST

Jim

"You lookin' for a little 'Cowboy Action' son?"

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:34:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:04:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:

"You lookin' for a little 'Cowboy Action' son?"

I'm not, but Bunnyassassin sure is
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:18:50 PM EST
Hi Kameron
Welcome to the mature, adult and serious discussion forum that's UKHTF
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:29:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bus_pass_warrior:
Hi Kameron

Really? I thought it was the "let's all rag on Tyga and his unibrow for no real reason" Forum.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:30:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By limey1:

Airsoft is so very, very, very dangerous that FAC holders cannot buy them

You need to be a tacti-cool skirmish operator in order to own airsoft weapons.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:17:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:22:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 11:22:47 PM EST by vito113]

Originally Posted By Helios:

Hi Kameron

Really? I thought it was the "let's all rag on Tyga and his unibrow for no real reason" Forum.

LINKY……

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:20:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:44:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bunnyassassin:

LINKY……

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:57:42 AM EST

There's so much variation out there... personally i love Practical Shotgun (ghey)(shoot fast, don't miss! The most fun you can have with your clothes on!), Gallery Rifle (ghey), and Mini-rifle (ghey), whereas a lot of people on here enjoy Service rifle (NOT GHEY).

You may find you enjoy black powder, .22 precision (ghey), F-class (ghey), cowboy action (ghey), target rifle (ghey), speed steel (ghey), any of the above (ghey), or simply putting lead down range (ghey).

Jim

Thank god pistol shooting is banned in the UK, Streetfighter would be enraged by some of the open shooters. The ghey is strong in IPSC handgun - especially since the metallic blue and red aluminum CZ grips have been approved for SP-01 Production Class - now everyone wants to make a fashion statement.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:17:14 AM EST

Hi Kameron

We are all agents of them
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:50:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By ACR26:

Hi Kameron

I don't see a full stop at the end of that sentence ACR26!

If we're really going to start a witch-hunt, why end the campaign with Tyga? I've seen Toemag regularly use the apostrophe in an inappropriate manner! Some might say that he downright abuses it, almost to the extent that he uses it at the end of every word ending in "s".
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:13:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:49:24 AM EST
Shall I call a Whaaambulance?

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:53:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/5/2008 1:58:23 PM EST by Bus_pass_warrior]

Tyga has just finished an expensive private education and quite honestly the blame lies equally at the feet of his tutors as it does with everyone who hasn't tried to help him with his spelling.
We're only here to help

Or is it can't spell, won't spell? Or can't find the "Spellcheck" button, or can't be arsed to use it?

Hi Kameron, guess you're really pleased you dropped by the forum
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:41:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/5/2008 5:08:44 PM EST by Agent_Funky]
Awwww....cool... another slanging match.....

We even got completely off topic with Streetfighters "ghey" thing in record time........

And we haven't touched on benchrest yet, which is full of raging fags from all accounts. We use a bench because it enables us to use a nice floral tablecloth, and the rifles have pretty coloured stocks but are waaaay to heavy to fit in our handbags. Personally I find that the cold greyness of the concrete bench clashes awfully with my OD green fatigues, but it's a small price to pay for a nice sheltered place to sit and knit a nice gunbag while waiting for your turn to shoot......

It would seem Highpower is the complete cure for "gheyness". Apparently Practical Rifle can be shot with a "GheyR-15" but an AR-15 is a man's rifle.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:02:46 PM EST
And we haven't touched on benchrest yet, which is full of raging fags from all accounts. We use a bench because it enables us to use a nice floral tablecloth, and the rifles have pretty coloured stocks but are waaaay to heavy to fit in our handbags. Personally I find that the cold greyness of the concrete bench clashes awfully with my OD green fatigues, but it's a small price to pay for a nice sheltered place to sit and knit a nice gunbag while waiting for your turn to shoot......

I F'ing hate benchrest!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:06:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By Agent_Funky:
Awwww....cool... another slanging match.....

We even got completely off topic with Streetfighters "ghey" thing in record time........

It would seem Highpower is the complete cure for "gheyness". Apparently Practical Rifle can be shot with a "GheyR-15" but an AR-15 is a man's rifle.

The only 'Bench Rest' you need to know about…

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:55:57 PM EST

The only 'Bench Rest' you need to know about…

You're Wrong Vito!!

Sometimes you have to do a little work at a bench too....

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:00:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By ACR26:

Hi Kameron

"plain and concise" English means two very different things to Bev down the chippy and to Sir Humphrey of Her Majesty's Civil Service.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:33:47 PM EST

Hi Kameron

Are you Tyga's troll account?

I've barely got time to post on one account atm
Top Top