Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 11:49:15 AM EDT
My wife and I just PCS'ed here from Aviano, Italy and I was wondering who had the best internet and cell service.  I have seen Embarq, Cox and AT&T mentioned.  Someone else mentioned COX is OK, it you go with their bundles, but I have always heard negative things about their service.  Anyway, thanks in advance.

PS We are renting a house in N. Las Vegas if that make any difference to the the providers.
Tim
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Verizon wireless.
Cox internet.
If you need a "true" landline phone then Embarq is the only game in town although Cox offers phone service it's of course dependent on the cable modem. Always fun times when you need to call tech support about something not working...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for Verizon
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Many thanks for the replies.  Keep them coming!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Verizon wireless.

Cox internet.

Bingo.
Us too. And we actually bundled the cable digital telephone as well. Saves us about $10/month, and we haven't been disappointed.

eta: We have the 'Smart Box' thing in the house so the cable modem/phone weren't an issue.

Also, you'll find that just about every cell provider is comparable IN TOWN.  If you travel off-road quite a bit (like we do), then Verizon is the only service we've found has coverage through the boonies of Nevada.  We've had AT&T, Sprint PCS, Cingular, and now Verizon.  The customer service has been the best with Verizon.  Plans run pretty much the same....

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Verizon wireless.
Cox internet.

Bingo.
Us too. And we actually bundled the cable digital telephone as well. Saves us about $10/month, and we haven't been disappointed.

eta: We have the 'Smart Box' thing in the house so the cable modem/phone weren't an issue.

Also, you'll find that just about every cell provider is comparable IN TOWN.  If you travel off-road quite a bit (like we do), then Verizon is the only service we've found has coverage through the boonies of Nevada.  We've had AT&T, Sprint PCS, Cingular, and now Verizon.  The customer service has been the best with Verizon.  Plans run pretty much the same....

+1 on the cell service coverage. Even with my Palm Pre Sprint phone which is supposed to roam on Verizon's network, if I put it side by side with my Verizon cellphone (Moto Q9c) the Sprint phone won't complete a call where the Verizon phone will.  If you're planning on getting out of the city at all, Verizon is the only realistic choice for cellular.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 Verizon

RE:  Internet, you might want to take a look at "Clear".  I don't have it, but I'm thinking of going that way.  It look pretty good and less expensive than Cox for Internet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Im very happy with my ATT Iphone and the coverage. Just last week I got a text message saying they added another tower down the road from my house, so I went from 4 bars to five. It works everywhere on the strip. I live on the opposite side of town from you.
For internet I have Cox. I pay about 55 a month if I remember correctly. It doesn't go down very often.
For home service I use Vonage. Its been excellent for the 3 or so years Ive had it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Cox and Verizon here. I can't say I know much about Clear but have seen their name starting to gain traction in town. No issues with Cox service though, cable modem or digital cable. I've also found Verizon to have the best coverage in town, and I've been with everyone from Cingular (pre-ATT) to ATT to Sprint.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies.  It seems to be unamious.  Cox for internet and Verizon for cell service.  Does anyone use Cox bundles and are they a good deal etc.?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.  It seems to be unamious.  Cox for internet and Verizon for cell service.  Does anyone use Cox bundles and are they a good deal etc.?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome..............my sister was stationed in Aviano for a couple years(AF), she's now in D.C.

AT&T/Cox Cable FTW!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I use AT&T for cell phone service and i have no complaints.

I used embarq for the internet. I havent used cable internet in a long time. Ive found that cable internet was generally more expensive, plus it seems like the cable companies have more restrictions, like caps, throttling bit torrent and various other unpleasentries. Either that or Adelphia ruined it for me when i was living on the east coast. Now only if we had FIOS here, that would be the best thing ever.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
+1 Verizon

RE:  Internet, you might want to take a look at "Clear".  I don't have it, but I'm thinking of going that way.  It look pretty good and less expensive than Cox for Internet.

I made the plunge to Clear,so far, I'm happy I fired Cox!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Verizon wireless.
Cox internet.

This.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks to everyone who replied.  Your input is most appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#18]
you should check broadbandreorts.com for some better info, since thats all they talk about is the internet itself and isps. you can also find reviews for the las vegas area specifically and see what more people have to say. im not saying the info here isnt good form the member who have posted already but atlest this can give you another outlet for a more informed decision.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Since the original question was about cell phone service... I've been really happy with AT&T's coverage so far.  We got it because I wanted to go to the iPhone and AT&T was the only game in town.  I switched from Alltel who got bought up by Verizon and frankly once the Verizon took over, thier coverage sucked.  I was getting dropped calls all the time.

Service has been great so far, I LOVE the iphone and I've had zero issues with coverage even out to and at Creech.  Most importantly - I can connect to the internet out at DSRPC so I can download the weather data for my ballistic program while shooting

I was really hesitant to go with AT&T but I don't regret it for an instant.  

btw - I also have COX HD cable and internet bundled and have been very happy with them so far.  

So, do you miss Pordenone yet?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Since the original question was about cell phone service... I've been really happy with AT&T's coverage so far.  We got it because I wanted to go to the iPhone and AT&T was the only game in town.  I switched from Alltel who got bought up by Verizon and frankly once the Verizon took over, thier coverage sucked.  I was getting dropped calls all the time.

Service has been great so far, I LOVE the iphone and I've had zero issues with coverage even out to and at Creech.  Most importantly - I can connect to the internet out at DSRPC so I can download the weather data for my ballistic program while shooting

I was really hesitant to go with AT&T but I don't regret it for an instant.  

btw - I also have COX HD cable and internet bundled and have been very happy with them so far.  

So, do you miss Pordenone yet?

I miss Aviano and Pordeone (love the pizza) but I am glad to be back in the god ol USA!  I will never complain about my phone not working, not being able to buy gas due to strikes, power outages, etc.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had Embarq DSL for a year and a half and have had one major outage.  I had Cox cable for a year and had half a dozen.  Just sayin'.  My GF and many friends have Verizon and I have yet to hear a bad thing about them (I have AT&T, who suck my balls).  For cable (don't think you asked) I have had zero service interruptions with Direct TV, and many with Cox cable.

Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top