Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2005 6:22:51 PM EDT
Anyone heard of this?  I work a part time gig and two of the guys that work there had a bad xerox copy of a huge deer taken near Morgantown on private land.  The picture was absolute crap but you could see that this thing was enormous.  It supposedly scores around 220 and weighed over 300 dressed.  There are supposed to be photo's at the Outdoorsman shop in Greenwood where the deer was checked but I've not been able to make it in there yet.

Anyone else seen this monster, or possibly have a picture you can post?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, a buddy of mine had several photos of it sent to him because his father is very good friends with the owner of the land where it was killed.  

It is an enormous deer and the "word on the street" is that it is going to be scored as a typical.  It appears to be non-typical because each of the main beams come out and then turn straight down to make it appear as two droptines but since it is the main beam and not a point(s) protruding from the main beam it can be considered typical.  

Many people were talking that it could give the Hanson Buck a run for its money but I say
It is a tremendous deer, but I don't think that ol' Milo Hanson has anything to worry about.  I will look around for a picture.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard mention of two big deer being killed in Indiana this year, the one from near Morgantown, and the other from near Paoli.

CAAAwarfighter is supposed to be working on getting me a photo of the Paoli buck. (hint, hint)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard from DNR that the one killed in Morgantown is going to beat the state record & this was the kids first season deer hunting.  There weren't a lot of tines, but the spread & length were supposed to be huge.  He said it looks more like an elk than a deer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
www.indianasportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997

The above is a link to a pic....a shitty pic, but a pic none the least.

I'm still on my buddy to try and get me some better pictures.  He's slow to motivate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I heard from DNR that the one killed in Morgantown is going to beat the state record & this was the kids first season deer hunting.  There weren't a lot of tines, but the spread & length were supposed to be huge.  He said it looks more like an elk than a deer.

it is rumored that the kid's father killed the deer after he had already used his buck tag so the dad went and got a tag and checked it in under his son's tag
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The above is a link to a pic....a shitty pic, but a pic none the least.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally made it down to the Outdoorsman in Greenwood today.  I found a great pic of the buck I was looking for and then saw a picture of another buck even bigger!  I'm not sure what's going on in Indiana with all of these monsters lately but I like it!!  The pic of the buck that M4Madness posted has a score of 220 written on it.  I have no idea what the other one will score but it is huge!

Definitely gettin a new bow after the first of the year to get ready for next October.

Merry Christmas Guys!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm not sure what's going on in Indiana with all of these monsters lately but I like it!!

Me, too!

I've taken my two largest-racked bucks in the last two years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The DNR says it's the one buck rule that has helped the buck population.  It expires this year (I think)   I do not know what I would have done if a shot a doe with a bow & that bruiser walked under my tree stand during shotgun season.   It would be hard to pass on it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I know what you mean.  I've heard it said and I like the idea that you shouldn't pass on a deer on opening day that you would gladly shoot on the last day of the season.....but......it sure makes you want to wait to see if one of these monsters might drop by.  I guess that's all part of it though.  I can't wait to get back up in a tree next year!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The DNR says it's the one buck rule that has helped the buck population.

I'd like to believe that as well, but I know of many poachers in my area who still kill multiple bucks every year anyway. Heck, I've heard that one guy has taken 5 bucks this year.

I tried to convince the DNR when this one-buck rule was first proposed that the way to get bigger bucks here in Indiana would be to adopt the "4 points on one side" program. It might suck the first year or so for someone who is satisfied with taking smaller bucks, but it would work out great in the long run. The DNR responded by telling me that it hindered their ability to manage Indiana's deer herd.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I hear ya.  It'll take quite awhile to get rid of the "if it's brown, it's down" mentality but hopefully we'll get to the point where looking at the bucks taken from Illinois and Ohio aren't any better than the ones coming out of Indiana.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#14]
the one buck rule has been detimental to the bow hunter in my opinion and it has caused the number of bow hunters to drastically drop here in Indiana.

i know that since the one buck rule i have had to pass on many bucks well within bow range that i would have been very proud to have had for a bow kill, and i speak not only for myself.  i know of many guys that have flat out given up on bow hunting because of the one buck rule because they would rather hunt and try taking a buck during firearm season and they don't like taking does during bow season because of the (usually) warm weather.  

clint
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the one buck rule has been detimental to the bow hunter in my opinion and it has caused the number of bow hunters to drastically drop here in Indiana.

i know that since the one buck rule i have had to pass on many bucks well within bow range that i would have been very proud to have had for a bow kill, and i speak not only for myself.  i know of many guys that have flat out given up on bow hunting because of the one buck rule because they would rather hunt and try taking a buck during firearm season and they don't like taking does during bow season because of the (usually) warm weather.  

clint

Preach it, brother.

You've described me exactly. I used to be one of the most avid bowhunters I know. When the one-buck rule was passed, it deflated my deer-hunting drive enormously. I pretty much doe hunt with a bow now -- once I take one, I either quit until gun season or basically treestand sit a few times with my bow as a scouting tactic. This year I took my doe on opening morning of archery season, and only bowhunted about 3 more times. I passed up a pretty big 6-pointer that was well under 10 yards from my tree, just because I didn't want to use my ONLY buck tag on him. I'd rather the DNR start an antler size restriction and let us take a buck with a bow and another with a gun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

clint

Preach it, brother.

You've described me exactly. I used to be one of the most avid bowhunters I know. When the one-buck rule was passed, it deflated my deer-hunting drive enormously. I pretty much doe hunt with a bow now -- once I take one, I either quit until gun season or basically treestand sit a few times with my bow as a scouting tactic. This year I took my doe on opening morning of archery season, and only bowhunted about 3 more times. I passed up a pretty big 6-pointer that was well under 10 yards from my tree, just because I didn't want to use my ONLY buck tag on him. I'd rather the DNR start an antler size restriction and let us take a buck with a bow and another with a gun.

There's a rule in the state of Indiana that you can only kill one buck per season? Why is that?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#17]

There's a rule in the state of Indiana that you can only kill one buck per season? Why is that?

It is the DNR's attempt to allow the state of IN to grow bigger bucks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So it's basically a control method so us deer hunters(okay well I *want* to hunt deer at some point in my life) to find larger bucks?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's basically a control method so us deer hunters(okay well I *want* to hunt deer at some point in my life) to find larger bucks?

I guess you could say that.  In my opinion, it is the DNRs attempt to keep the lesees of land happy.  People are paying phenomenal amounts of money just to have a place to hunt deer and most of these hunters are only after trophy bucks.  

The number of lesees and "trophy" only hunters is what can be blamed for the overabundance of deer in some areas in recent years.  Many of these people do nothing to help control the deer population, they will never take a single doe off of several thousand acres of land and then they wonder why they never see big bucks-it's just that the big ones don't have to travel any in these overpopulated doe areas to find a doe so it is hard to catch them searching.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top