Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2011 8:02:15 AM EDT
The Trading Place Pawn in Monroe is opening a new range this coming Monday. Very nice facility.12 lanes.1/2 hour pistol $6 hour ,$9. 1/2 hour rifle $7, hour $10.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:39:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thegooch:
The Trading Place Pawn in Monroe is opening a new range this coming Monday. Very nice facility.12 lanes.1/2 hour pistol $6 hour ,$9. 1/2 hour rifle $7, hour $10.

How in the hell does a range turn a profit at $9.00 an hour???

I briefly examined building a range but try as I might I could not make it brake even much less profitable.

The construction of a range will cost 30 to 60k per lane depending on many factors.

Let's assume you build a range for 30k per lane. The lane stays rented 8 hours a day,six days each week.

That's $56.00 a day x 6 days in a week for $336.00 x 52 weeks for a grand total of $17,472 per year.

That is not factoring in the operating expenses, taxes, maintenance ETC

I am also leaving out the increased sales a range will bring in like targets, ammo, gun rentals ETC but I estimated the operating expenses will eat most of that up.

I sure as hell wish I could figure out how to make one work but it's beyond my ability.

TD
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 9:35:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By treedawg:
Originally Posted By thegooch:

How in the hell does a range turn a profit at $9.00 an hour???
I briefly examined building a range but try as I might I could not make it brake even much less profitable.

The construction of a range will cost 30 to 60k per lane depending on many factors.

Let's assume you build a range for 30k per lane. The lane stays rented 8 hours a day,six days each week.

That's $56.00 a day x 6 days in a week for $336.00 x 52 weeks for a grand total of $17,472 per year.

That is not factoring in the operating expenses, taxes, maintenance ETC

I am also leaving out the increased sales a range will bring in like targets, ammo, gun rentals ETC but I estimated the operating expenses will eat most of that up.

I sure as hell wish I could figure out how to make one work but it's beyond my ability.

TD

You make the shoot ONLY ammo that they purchase from you at insane prices!!!!!

I do agree with you, I'd not want to try to turn a profit at those hourly prices....
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 9:38:27 AM EDT
Going by TD's estimates the second owner is the one who will make money on the range.
I'm not implying the range is for sale but in my experience the builder is the one who spent all the start up money & maybe breaks even over time. The second owner just has to 'improve' & maintain to make money.

A few years back I looked into building a range in an old Ingles store. The choice of backstops & air filtration alone was a royal PIA. Then trying to get the local .gov & state .gov to agree on codes was a sumbitch.

More power to the guys in Monroe. It will be nice to have a local range.

7mm
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 12:09:35 PM EDT
Wow it is really hard to please some people, I decide to price the range at an affordable price. Everyone has complanied about the new ranges opening and how they will not shoot at them because of the high range prices. I used to own a gas station, as we all know, the money is not made at the pump. It is made on the items inside. Same way with a gun range. Money isnt made on the range time, it is made on the lead removal from the trap each year, the increased gun sales, target and ammo sales. Ive built a nice range for the public to enjoy at an affordable price. I hope my customers do not worry about how much money I make or will i stay in business. I just hope they dont have to wait in line to long to come shoot!!

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 12:36:34 PM EDT
Is this next door or on the same property as the pawn shop ?
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:32:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tradingplace:
Wow it is really hard to please some people, I decide to price the range at an affordable price. Everyone has complanied about the new ranges opening and how they will not shoot at them because of the high range prices. I used to own a gas station, as we all know, the money is not made at the pump. It is made on the items inside. Same way with a gun range. Money isnt made on the range time, it is made on the lead removal from the trap each year, the increased gun sales, target and ammo sales. Ive built a nice range for the public to enjoy at an affordable price. I hope my customers do not worry about how much money I make or will i stay in business. I just hope they dont have to wait in line to long to come shoot!!

I say bully for you if you can make it work.

As previously stated I could NOT not figure out how to make it profitable no matter how I crunched the numbers and I to am in the pawn business with a heavy emphasis on guns.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

TD
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:33:40 PM EDT
this is on the same property and connected to my pawn shop. view pics of range on facebook
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:39:04 PM EDT
treedawg, just curious what type of numbers were you coming up with to build a range? I built my range myself and had a range consult do my plans. Based on what a GC wantedm, your right it would be impossible to make the numbers work. The new range sharp shooters ive heard has over 3 million in theres, its super nice but would be a lengthy payback
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:42:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By maggie1:
Is this next door or on the same property as the pawn shop ?

Yep & the poster above sounds like the owner too. Since the Pawn Shop's name is something along the lines of his name.

BTW nice range & looking forward to some range time.
Also someone was looking for some Magpul, they have it & some class III stuff too.

7mm

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:45:49 PM EDT
Arfcom secret handshake for range time ? ......lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 1:52:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tradingplace:
treedawg, just curious what type of numbers were you coming up with to build a range? I built my range myself and had a range consult do my plans. Based on what a GC wantedm, your right it would be impossible to make the numbers work. The new range sharp shooters ive heard has over 3 million in theres, its super nice but would be a lengthy payback

My numbers are probably skewed in a big way compared to yours since I was factoring in the land to build on ETC.

I do not own the property where my shop is located so I was going to purchase a suitable piece of property, relocate the shop and build the range on it.

TD

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 5:32:12 PM EDT
To who it may concern: The owner of The Trading Place is a personal friend of mine, and around our town is known as a very respected buisiness man. If he desides to set his prices at $6 1/2hr- $9hr he's doing it because he believes it's right and fair. He took his familys buisiness from just a run of the mill pawn shop and made it into what it is today. It is because of his buisiness saavy that this range is being built at all, and I guarentee it will be successful. Certain people just cant be pleased!
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 5:55:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jonathan85:
To who it may concern: The owner of The Trading Place is a personal friend of mine, and around our town is known as a very respected buisiness man. If he desides to set his prices at $6 1/2hr- $9hr he's doing it because he believes it's right and fair. He took his familys buisiness from just a run of the mill pawn shop and made it into what it is today. It is because of his buisiness saavy that this range is being built at all, and I guarentee it will be successful. Certain people just cant be pleased!

What are you talking about...????

I fail to see where anyone has said anything negative about the prices he is proposing.

He has my utmost respect and admiration if he can make a profit @ $9.00 an hour.

I don't think I could make a range profitable for any less that $11.00 an hour and I found $15.00 an hour to be optimal when I worked up an informal business plan.

My range never progressed beyond an informal business plan so what the hell do I know???

TD

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 6:12:35 PM EDT
Wow I never would have guess that simply posting a new place to shoot would cause such a shit storm. Honestly who cares what he charges, or if it will make him profitable or not that's the owners decision to make. I am extremely excited to see any new place to shoot open up and will be there on opening day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 6:40:50 PM EDT
Monroe isn't too far away from me. I'll come by later in the month.

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 6:02:45 PM EDT
Really nice folks that work there, best of luck with the range. I keep hoping those old coke machines out front will sell, so I can't buy one of them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 4:32:25 AM EDT
FInal Inspection was approved, Range will open on Monday the 10th with hours extending until 9pm
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 10:34:59 AM EDT
Trading Place is now my go-to indoor range.

Friendly staff and it looked like they had a very good inventory.

Lots of Magpul stuff, too.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:43:27 AM EDT
I'll have to check this out
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 2:53:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2011 2:57:15 PM EDT by robpiat]
I don't know that anybody has ever made a profit on range time, anywhere, ever. The range helps to sell accessories, holsters, guns, ammo, targets etc.

When I go to a cheap range, I usually only spend 15-20 Minutes in the range and spend 10-12$ between targets and time. Every now and then, they snag me for some reloading components or a gun. No different than a movie theater where they nearly lose money at the box office.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:46:37 PM EDT
15 minutes away! I'll help make the range profitable by shooting there! Can't wait to go!
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:50:06 PM EDT
Tradingplace, thank you for jumping through all the hoops to open this range, and to do so at such reasonable rates. I can't wait to come out and give it a try. We've needed something like this in Monroe for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:51:13 AM EDT
Thanks alot, Hope everyone can come by and check it out, took quite awhile to get approved and to build, but we are all avid shooters as well so we knew it would be worth it. We plan on doing a shooting "Poker night" later this week, we have targets with the playing cards on them, should be alot of fun. Check out our facebook page for updates. thanks
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:45:14 PM EDT
I went today and I was impressed to say the least.

Plenty of parking, easy to find and they have some pretty nice tools in the pawn shop portion of the shop. Gun shop portion has a pretty good inventory and the prices which were marked were fair and reasonable. Some were unmarked but I didn't ask why. AAC suppressors in the case and a full-auto M10/11? for sale that I saw. Price on range ammo was high for internet pricing but reasonable and about the same as every other gunshop or storefront in the Atlanta area. Shop was clean and the staff seemed knowledgeable. Range prices and rules were clearly stated on signage and paperwork.

Range was immactulate and was the best indoor range I have ever been inside of. Obviously it's brand new, but considering some of the other indoor ranges I frequent, this range was like getting into a Cadillac. They actually assigned me a range number which was different. I didn't see any brooms to pick up all my spent casings so I felt a bit guilty when I left, but if they are going to clean it up for me, I won't complain. It was nice to have smooth target movement down the range, not the creaking and groaning of some of the other systems I have seen. Targets were cheap. I kinda liked the big windows to the shop rather than the CCTV they have in some ranges... I suppose it would be easier for staff to quickly identify any whackos that happen to make it in and I'll be honest, I have seen some crazy stuff at ranges that should have been stopped earlier.

The only thing I worry about is that more people will find this place and make it so busy that I'll have to wait to shoot. This place is only 20 min from me and the hours easily accomodate my work schedule.This is a really, really nice place.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:24:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 4:24:36 AM EDT by ttman]
Bullseye charges similar fees and they are still open. I am glad your fees are "reasonable". What are the distances?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:52:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TooBigToFail:
I went today and I was impressed to say the least.

Plenty of parking, easy to find and they have some pretty nice tools in the pawn shop portion of the shop. Gun shop portion has a pretty good inventory and the prices which were marked were fair and reasonable. Some were unmarked but I didn't ask why. AAC suppressors in the case and a full-auto M10/11? for sale that I saw. Price on range ammo was high for internet pricing but reasonable and about the same as every other gunshop or storefront in the Atlanta area. Shop was clean and the staff seemed knowledgeable. Range prices and rules were clearly stated on signage and paperwork.

Range was immactulate and was the best indoor range I have ever been inside of. Obviously it's brand new, but considering some of the other indoor ranges I frequent, this range was like getting into a Cadillac. They actually assigned me a range number which was different. I didn't see any brooms to pick up all my spent casings so I felt a bit guilty when I left, but if they are going to clean it up for me, I won't complain. It was nice to have smooth target movement down the range, not the creaking and groaning of some of the other systems I have seen. Targets were cheap. I kinda liked the big windows to the shop rather than the CCTV they have in some ranges... I suppose it would be easier for staff to quickly identify any whackos that happen to make it in and I'll be honest, I have seen some crazy stuff at ranges that should have been stopped earlier.

The only thing I worry about is that more people will find this place and make it so busy that I'll have to wait to shoot. This place is only 20 min from me and the hours easily accomodate my work schedule.This is a really, really nice place.

Thanks alot...the reason for the unmarked prices on the guns in the one case is they are all Rental Guns, We leave the Tags on them to keep up with inventor and to know what is actually out on the range being rented, the distance on the range is 25 yards and we have it marked on the walls at 3,7,15,25. Hope everyone has a chance to come check it out. thanks for everyones support!!

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:09:58 PM EDT
Cool. I keep a couple of planes at the Monroe airport and I try to get there once a week from ATL. I'll drop in next time...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:10:50 PM EDT
Well, I went to check it out, and its awesome! Great prices on the range time and targets, and compared to the other indoor gun range I've been to, it is clean, well-lit and very up-scale. The staff was very nice, and knew what they were talking about. I'm also transfering a AR lower though Trading places and I was very pleased with how easy they made it, I've never done that before and they were very nice about my nervous questions. They have my business!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:46:39 AM EDT
tradingplaces,

"sarcastic voice on" The place is terrible, dirty, loud, dirty, nasty, rude, nasty, can't see crap, poorly marked... "sarcastic voice off"

Seriously the place is really nice I just wanted to say crap so I could have the place to my self. I talked w/ Blake for a bit nice guy & is rightfully proud of his baby.
Y'all have a good place & I'll be back.

7mm
Top Top