Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 11:49:51 AM EDT
What are the repeater's you are running around on?...

Is there something we can help you with to get your radio up and running?

Lets make this a non-formal thread to get eachother  "dialed in", and see if we can figure out what works for who, and maybe get a net or something going.

Anything goes!...

We have all classes of lic. avail here.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I still need a antenna for the house.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That magmount on a cookie sheet will do pretty good as a "for now" solution.

I just picked up the Comet GP-6, and I hit Olympia repeaters, and the top of Mt Constitution on low power with my 8800. Simplex I have no prob's getting down to Paine Field, or up into Index. Kinda hard to go thru the hills, but I do have some elevation now, and things are a whole different world.

The HF stuff is fun, I only have a G5RV up as an inverted v right now. It gets me to HI, and TX without any prob's also.

Im kinda interested in what repeaters people can hit from their house, or if they need help with locating something to work.

I can hit darn near anything I can program in on the west side it seems like.

I hang on Pilchuck, W2ZT, K5IN...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#3]
For those living in SW WA, I would recommend using the Goat Mountain repeater at 146.96Mhz.  Even though it is located SE of Portland, it is a very good machine, at a very high altitude, with very good coverage of Clark County and beyond.

When I am slumming on 2m (and I always do), I am either monitoring 146.52 or the Goat Mtn machine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
What are the repeater's you are running around on?...

146.720 in Omak, 145.450 upper Okanagan County, 146.860 in Grand Coulee, 147.00
Wilber/Almira area (nice coverage on this one) 146.900 in Wenatchee,
147.100 in Chelan. 147.200 in all that area but takes different pl tones depending on
repeater. 444.800 and 146.580(simplex link to the uhf rptr) in the Winthrop area.
Just running a 5/8 wave magmount for 2mtr so have not used 70cm much unless I turn
the power -way- down to protect the final amp in the transmitter.

height=8
Is there something we can help you with to get your radio up and running?

Welll, -somebody- heradio for the echolink node connected to Winthrop repeater system..
So if anyone has a spare 70cm radio that they can part with, then Winthrop will
(once again) be accessible via echolink for all the hams here.

height=8
Lets make this a non-formal thread to get eachother  "dialed in", and see if we can figure out what works for who, and maybe get a net or something going.
Anything goes!...
We have all classes of lic. avail here.

Tip o' the day: Electric fence wire + baling twine + wirenuts + coax + lots of
black electrical tape, can make an inexpensive wire antenna for HF.
This spring I built a decent 10 element quad for 2m
out of pvc pipe, fiberglass electric fence posts and copper wire. Works really skookum.href=6 Element quad plans.
I just extrapolated for the additional 4 directors and boom length for a 10 element.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

146.720 in Omak, 145.450 upper Okanagan County, 146.860 in Grand Coulee, 147.00
Wilber/Almira area (nice coverage on this one) 146.900 in Wenatchee,
147.100 in Chelan. 147.200 in all that area but takes different pl tones depending on
repeater. 444.800 and 146.580(simplex link to the uhf rptr) in the Winthrop area.
Just running a 5/8 wave magmount for 2mtr so have not used 70cm much unless I turn
the power -way- down to protect the final amp in the transmitter.

Can you hit Sobieski?, It is not a rag chew repeater, but I talked to a dry sider the other day on it. 145.110 neg 123.0

I think I can link the Evergreen system over to E WA, but I have not looked at the information they sent me yet.

Im going to try and hit the Chelan/Wenatchee repeaters when I go up to Deer Creek, I may be able to squeek it out from there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, forgot that I can use the 147.260 repeater on Mission ridge above Wenatchee.
That is one of the Evergreen Inter tie repeaters. It did have a link radio problem for awhile but
I seem to remember hearing that it is fixed.
Not able to hit it from home but will probably be in its range while at work as I work that
area quite often on my daily routes. The Methow Valley is a pretty rf isolated area due to
all the ranges around us. Probably shielded from EMP more then most areas so thats an
upside to that problem..hatWas talking to my wife from harts pass when on Slate peak 2 wks ag and found out
that there was a bunch of guys out there. The elevation I was at was 7400' though and
even then it was a rough copy getting a refraction off of those ridges in between and the
+95 mile path did not help either.

The 147.100 Chelan repeater is okay into the Methow Valley.

height=8
Quoted:

Can you hit Sobieski?, It is not a rag chew repeater, but I talked to a dry sider the other day on it. 145.110 neg 123.0

I think I can link the Evergreen system over to E WA, but I have not looked at the information they sent me yet.

Im going to try and hit the Chelan/Wenatchee repeaters when I go up to Deer Creek, I may be able to squeek it out from there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have a friend who bought a house here in Oak Harbor that has a ham tower.
He't not a ham guy, so he wants to get rid of it.
It has all of the directional controls and the motors to make it work.
Let me know if you are interested in it.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.vaq34.com/junk/ham_tower-001.jpg

www.vaq34.com/junk/ham_tower-002.jpg

www.vaq34.com/junk/ham_tower-003.jpg

www.vaq34.com/junk/ham_tower-004.jpg

www.vaq34.com/junk/ham_tower-005.jpg

www.vaq34.com/junk/ham_tower-006.jpg

Thanks Pal, but it's a little too much for my setup.  Maybe TW or R32 will take it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]
IM LETTING YOU KNOW RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

hell I have my climbing gear ready to go.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#10]
R-32 wants the J-Pole thats on top and the wire antenna hanging on the side.helphim tower climbing fees!

Ha! Take that R-32.

Looks like 40 feet of Rohn 25 with a nice looking Triband beam gracing its top.
A Mosely perhaps?
Must have been an estate sale to leave all of that behind when the place sold.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ha! Take that R-32.

Give it up!..

The price of gas will kill ya.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]

I don't even have a radio and I would have taken that tower...

Some deals are way to good to pass up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't even have a radio and I would have taken that tower...

Some deals are way to good to pass up.

You, and PCR need to get one of these radios... They are fun as hell when you get the right people on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey! I know how we can move it!
Tower Moving 101
Convoy!
height=8
Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yay! Picked up the W5YI General class study guide with software from Fry's today, so once I pass the exam it'll be available to pass around to get all us Techs upgraded.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yay! Picked up the W5YI General class study guide with software from Fry's today, so once I pass the exam it'll be available to pass around to get all us Techs upgraded.

Turn your radio on...

Im sitting on the evergreen intertie right now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Yay! Picked up the W5YI General class study guide with software from Fry's today, so once I pass the exam it'll be available to pass around to get all us Techs upgraded. he

Hehehe, I went to bed right after posting that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top