Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/7/2004 6:05:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:33:11 PM EST
I just came off of a trip to NYC. This one was most eventful. Things I learned/experienced this time around about NYC.

1. I spent an hour and a half in Harlem, going from 125th street up to 145th on foot (Malcom X Blvd) then hoofed it over to Lexington and I saw 3 white people besides myself the whole time.

2. I almost got either pickpocketed or had my bag snatched going up the steps in a Manhattan subway terminal. I was aware of my surroundings, was keeping an eye on the guy and turned around and knocked his hand away from me as he was reaching for me. NYC criminal foiled!

3. See the movie 28 days later? Go to Coney Island and live the movie! I've never seen such a high concentration of freaks. Loved it.

4. People say they like living in the city because it's so convenient. Anything a person could want is nearby. Well, try finding a place to take a dump or a piss. Funny how people love the "convenience" of city life but our most basic bodily functions are so hard to tend to.

5. Money in Manhattan disappears FAST.

6. Russian waiters are the rudest I've seen.

7. When they say "No Parking from this time to this time" they MEAN it. I was 5 minutes over the limit and picked up a $65 parking ticket. Yes, $65. The funny part, if there is one, is the fucking tool who wrote me the parking ticket double parked as he wrote the ticket. In other words, he blocked an additional lane of traffic for longer than my car would have been illegally parked. Anyone know a Manhattan cop that could maybe fix it for me?

8. And sort of like forgoing contraception when screwing your girlfriend, in the "I can't believe I was that dumb but had no consequences" Department, I absentmindedly left my car completely unlocked on the street in Midtown Manhattan for 8 hours. I walked by it to check on it and the contents were completely unmolested.

Have a good trip!

-Nick Viejo
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:04:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By N_Viejo:

4. People say they like living in the city because it's so convenient. Anything a person could want is nearby. Well, try finding a place to take a dump or a piss. Funny how people love the "convenience" of city life but our most basic bodily functions are so hard to tend to.

Go into a hotel lobby. Pee in the corner and nobody will notice. Seriously though, you can use those bathrooms in the lobbies, and they are usually kept clean.

DigDug,

While it isn't exactly in your hotel's neighborhood, my current favorite restraunt is Cendrillon in SoHo (www.cendrillon.com). It's filipino type food and damn good, says I.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:53:38 AM EST
There is a small but useful tourist handbook called "Where to go in NYC". It lists many bathrooms that can be used by the public all over the city. Also, if you are downtown, many of the NYU building have bathrooms that are available.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:21:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:34:27 AM EST
What price range and cuisine? There are many good restaurants in the area.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:36:45 AM EST
take a trip to Calverton this weekend. Im sure someone from arfcom will be there.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:16:15 PM EST
Go to McSorleys on East 7th Street, Be good or be gone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:55:06 PM EST

3. See the movie 28 days later? Go to Coney Island and live the movie! I've never seen such a high concentration of freaks. Loved it.

when the heck were you in Coney Island? I could have given you the grand tour (or atleast gotten you on the Subway back home for free)

Actually They have those "pay porta potties" now I think for a quarter you get the place for 20 minutes, then it kicks you out and cleans up.

7. When they say "No Parking from this time to this time" they MEAN it. I was 5 minutes over the limit and picked up a $65 parking ticket. Yes, $65. The funny part, if there is one, is the fucking tool who wrote me the parking ticket double parked as he wrote the ticket. In other words, he blocked an additional lane of traffic for longer than my car would have been illegally parked. Anyone know a Manhattan cop that could maybe fix it for me?

Fugeddaboudit. Those are "Traffic" They'd write Ray Kelly if he parked illegally.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:59:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:08:02 PM EST
Glad to hear you are enjoying NYC, but get away from those tourist restaurants! bubba gumps shrimp company?..geeze..you are in a city with some of the best food around and you go there? Please dont tell me you also went to the Olive Garden in Times Square too! Tell us what kind of food you like, and Im sure we can come up with loads of great restaurants for you to go to.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:08:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:17:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:53:19 AM EST
Try Mary-ann's on 5th street and 2nd ave for EXCELLENT MEXICAN. Awesome margaritas
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:12:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:43:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 9:46:48 AM EST by CDKayak]
Gallagher's Steak House
on West 52nd St.

Also:
+1 for Wave's suggestion, Little Italy & Chinatown. Lot's of great small restaurants there.

ETA
Gallagher's
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:43:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By Helldog40:
Mag, I believe the same owners have a "Maryann's" up here in Port CHester....GREAT fresh Mexican and very reasonable prices.

El Tio in PC is better! Casa Miguel in Mt. Kisco is good too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:46:27 AM EST
I second Wave's thoughts. Chinatown and Little Italy. Eat family style in a little Chinatown place if you are with others. I haven't done that in 15 years and still smile at the thought of those potato-chip-like fried pork whatevers. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:11:00 AM EST
Sure try Puglia's on Grand or Hester in Little Italy. Great House wine !!!! Also the Famous WO-HOP on Mott street in chinatown is a classic late night early morning hangover spot!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:13:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2004 6:15:05 AM EST by Wave]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:54:40 AM EST
A good Italian eatery with a piano bar is Mimi's on the corner of 52 st and 2 ave.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:14:28 PM EST
Top Top