Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 3:15:18 PM EDT
Well, it looks like I have just about had it with my Dodge Diesel. One thing after another - a sensor is out and the vehicle will not start. The last straw just got broken.
No more Dodges for me. I think I'll go look at Fords when I get my truck back!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I went looking to, well more of like dreaming...

I really want a Dodge Charger....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
no more brand new cars or trucks for me, for one they cost too much and two, full cover INS. cost too much.... I'm gonna stick to buying used ones, figure I can pay cash for one every couple of years and drive them till they start giving me trouble, then I'll sell them to someone and buy me another, no car payment and alot cheaper liability ins.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
no more brand new cars or trucks for me, for one they cost too much and two, full cover INS. cost too much.... I'm gonna stick to buying used ones, figure I can pay cash for one every couple of years and drive them till they start giving me trouble, then I'll sell them to someone and buy me another, no car payment and alot cheaper liability ins.

MLW>"<

Me and you are almost on the same sheet of music only I just choose to fix the ones i have

My red ford is the one new vehicle I ever bought for ME and it was the cheapest 4wd ford available18k.

My next vehicle will be a 4wd with no computer shit at all on it something early 80's to mid 70's.

I will have 3 used 4wd vehicles then ........I figure I'll always have at least one running

I don't get caught up in the whole new car thing it's a waste of money imo.

I can buy 4 decent used 4wds for what a new truck like my ford would cost now..........and liability insurance on the 4 would be around what full coverage is on the new one
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll get 16 to 17K out of trade in on my truck. I've already got 150,000+ on it. The last 4 4WD vehicles I've had (including this one) had over 100K on them. I usually come out pretty fair trading every 4 or 5 years. Being broke down in a remote place just ain't my thing. If I can't trust a vehicle, I ain't gonna drive it. Every used car I ever bought didn't do very well for me, including a pickup I bought from my dad. It was well maintained and not rode hard and put up wet, when both of us had it. It just started going to sh*t at 65000.
It ain't a prestige thing for me. It's just that I really hate having vehicles screwing up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, it looks like I have just about had it with my Dodge Diesel. One thing after another - a sensor is out and the vehicle will not start. The last straw just got broken.
No more Dodges for me. I think I'll go look at Fords when I get my truck back!

I've had 4 Dakotas since '92. They've all been pretty good cept this last one, it was a lemon. Tranny went out @ 55K miles. But lemons happen, nomatter what brand you go with. You need to get away from those high dollar noisy diesels too. Jeeez, whats gas for those things, $2.25-ish/ gal. Heck, what happened to "diesel bein cheaper than unleaded"? Those days are over, heck....set an example Dan, get a full sized Nissan truck! Some of the best Japanese engineering!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
....set an example Dan, get a full sized Nissan truck! Some of the best Japanese engineering!!

Rat, that will NEVER happen! I've never worked in Japan and never plan too. I'll buy an American made vehicle with an American name. Of course, I got a nasty surprise when I bought this Dodge I'm driving. It was made in Mexico which is another reason I'm thinking about going to Ford. But a Nissan, Honda, Toyota, whatever is out of the question. I made not get a totally made American vehicle, but it will hopefully be made by American labor. I rather see Ameicans get as much out of my dollar as possible.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Dan,

A sad fact, there are no 100% made in the USA cars or Trucks anymore.

My Dodge Ram was Assembled in Mexico, the engine and tranny in Germany.

The Charger I looked at this weekend, the body was made in Canada, the Tranny in Germany, and final assembly in Mexico.

Ford and whats left of GM are the same way.

So what is the differance in a nissan truck assembled in the USA?

I support the idea Dan, I wish we had a all made in the USA vehicle, but we dont.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
those nissans are pretty good trucks, my dads got a 91' model hard bodied small truck that he paid $5100 for brand new thats got over 300k on it and it still runs great, the right torsion bars bent, the steerings loose and the clutch is bout gone  but its still road worthy and its driven weekly.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
It  looks like it's going to be a Ford. You know, like in BIGFOOT!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
....set an example Dan, get a full sized Nissan truck! Some of the best Japanese engineering!!

Rat, that will NEVER happen! I've never worked in Japan and never plan too. I'll buy an American made vehicle with an American name. Of course, I got a nasty surprise when I bought this Dodge I'm driving. It was made in Mexico which is another reason I'm thinking about going to Ford. But a Nissan, Honda, Toyota, whatever is out of the question. I made not get a totally made American vehicle, but it will hopefully be made by American labor. I rather see Ameicans get as much out of my dollar as possible.

Many domestic trucks are assembled in Canada, or Mexico as well as the U.S.  The key word is "assembled" as almost all of the parts are made by the same companies.  My Nissan Titan was assembled in Mississippi and it has an Allison tranny, Bosch brakes, Dana axles and diffs, Rancho shocks, Rockford Fosgate audio, BF Goodrich tires, etc. etc.

No matter whose truck you get the assembly is at least guaranteed to be in the USA for Nissan and most of the major asseblies are made by someone else anyway.  Here is a quote from www.autointell.com/asian_companies/nissan/nissan-titan/nissan-titan-03.htm

"The new Titan, which was conceived, developed, styled and engineered primarily in North America, will be assembled at Nissan's new $1.43 billion manufacturing facility in Canton, Miss., with its Nissan Endurance V8 assembled on an all-new line at Nissan's advanced engine production facility in Decherd, Tenn."

Buy what you like, but don't assume that Ford, Dodge, Chevy and GMC are "made in the USA" .
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:27:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Buy what you like, but don't assume that Ford, Dodge, Chevy and GMC are "made in the USA" .

No, I won't do that. I learned that way back in 1984 when my dad popped the hood on his new Chrysler he'd just bought and found Mistubishi written on the engine. I gave him hell for it for quite a while. I'm going to come as close as I can with an American made wehicle. Daimler-Chrysler is now on my do-not -patronize list for the troubles I've had with two vehicles that I shouldn't have.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My Nissan Titan was assembled in Mississippi and it has an Allison tranny

Not quite.

The Titan uses a 5-speed Torq-King transmission (also known as the Jatco RE5R05A) designed and built by Nissan/Jatco in Japan (Jatco is a wholly-owned Nissan subsidiary). (My previous Ford F150 had a Japanese-manufactured Mazda M5OD transmission.) It's the only major component of the Titan that's not U.S.-manufactured. (Nissan is going to start supplying CVT transmissions to Ford for other passenger vehicles.)

www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/PRODUCTS/stepat.html#fr

Interestingly, my new Titan is more made in USA than the Chevrolet I was considering buying (made in Mexico) or my former Ford (engine made in Canada, transmission made in Japan, rear differential made in Mexico, all electrical components made in Brazil, with final assembly in Claycomo, Missouri).

And if anyone cares, the Chevrolet Equinox's engine is made in China.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
WELL - F*CK ME RUNNING!
T*rd headed, sh*t for brains, A** licking,  d*ck brained management sending so many of our jobs overseas, it really pisses me off!
Screw it - I'll spend the money to keep my damn truck running than send more of it overseas!
What got me off of GM was the Roger Smith period. I blew a rear end, transmission, transfer case, starter, air conditioning compressor - ALL because of second rate JAPANESE bearings - and before 50.000 miles. I collected off of GM in arbitration 3 times. That was almost 20 years ago.
And now it looks even worse for foreign friggin' parts!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top