Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 8:33:16 AM EDT
Hey guys,
Well we finally made the move to Tucson, we are up off of Sunrise and Swan. I am interested in obtaining my CCW and had a few questions. I have taken several classes on handgun safety, but obviously none for CCW.
Last time I was in town looking for my apartment, I stopped in at Jensens (I learnd it was called 'J-Mart' on the board.. lol) and saw that they offered the CCW class. I have read that many of you DONT like the service there, so I dont think I will patronise them. Can you guys reccomened a good CCW class to take that may cover MORE than just the basics to get the CCW. I am looking for info regarding criminal/civil troubles if having to draw down on someone in self defense. Coming from a state that absolutly hates firearms (no, Im NOT a democrat.. lol), It'll be nice to actually be able to own mine and not be in constant fear that they will be taken away.  Also, can you reccomend a good site to LEARN about the ar-15 series rifles? I have fired several AR's back home (LEO's), and would like to eventually own one. I'd like to know what the different 'versions' and options of the rifle entails before I go out and buy one.

How are the gun shows in Tucson? I'm looking to pick up a S&W 457 at a good price. Is there usualy a good selection at the shows or is it more along the lines of magazines and ammo?

Thanks for ANY help/advice in advance guys!
Brett
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
FBW,
Check out Diamondback Police Supply at 170 S. Kolb. (Just So of Broadway)
CCW and good gear selection.  If for nothing else, I go in there for Federal
match .308 at $15 a box.
cgj

eta:  Went to the funshow today at the TCC.  It was the usual and, as has been
mentioned elsewhere on the boards, lots of "pre-bans" at insane prices.  Got an
Armalite M15 lower parts kit with two-stage trigger for $189.  That was good.
Second time in a row that I found street parking to save the $4 too!  I guess it
was an Ok show for me after all.

Also:  Welcome to the board!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for DiamondBack. Good bunch of guys there, and good prices. The gun shows anywhere are a joke right now. Hang out for the next one at the fair grounds Oct. 9th, & 10th. Maybe things will settle down by then. If you'd like to go shooting sometime, drop me an IM or email. I'd be happy to show you around.

Mike
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info so far guys! Any links for the show on the 8th-9th?.  Got to stay my first night in the apartment last night.. whats with the damn thunder storms?? lol Back in Kali right now getting things packed up for the move next week.

Also, I know that it is legal to carry open in the state of AZ.. Is this something that people actually do? I would think it would draw a TON of attention to yourself. I have already noticed a HUGE difference in just the overall 'mentality' of the people in AZ.. I REALLY think Im going to like it!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I only go to the Tucson shows at the fairgrounds which is off of Houghton if you go out there the new range is supposed to be open I guess between Rita Rd and Houghton.  I live on Rita and haven't been over there yet.   The Phoenix shows at the fairgrounds (Crossroads shows) are usually a lot bigger though.

I would like an Arizona CCW but never have the right days off for the classes and I work nights.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for Diamondback for the CCW classes.
Jensens is a joke but just west of them is West of the Pecos and also check out Murphys.
AVOID JERRYS GUN EXCHANGE !!........you've been warned.
Welcome to the Sonoran Desert.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Another one for D-back, and Murphy's, I'm a little north of you(off of INA and Meredith)Send me an IM if you want to gop shooting. I'll let you try out my XM177 forgery.
Oh and welcome to Tucson.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I will check them out for sure!

Now, I am also an IDPA member, and would like to shoot IDPA in Tucson as well. .Any ranges that have IDPA matches on the weekends?

Brett
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Pima Pistol Club has some matches on the weekends. Desert trails was holding IDPA on every other Wednesday. Not sure if Tucson Rifle Club has any IDPA. They do a fair amount of every other kind of shooting so they may.
Pima Pistol Club
Tucson Rifle Club
Desert Trails
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Brett

When you have the time Im me and I"ll meet you at the starbucks on the southeast corner of Swan and sunrise for a cup of  joe and talk about evil guns

I usually go for a ride on the motorcycle Sunday mornings.

Neanderthal

P.S.  Welcome to the FREE STATE OF ARIZONA
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey guys,
Well we finally made the move to Tucson, we are up off of Sunrise and Swan. I am interested in obtaining my CCW and had a few questions. I have taken several classes on handgun safety, but obviously none for CCW.
Last time I was in town looking for my apartment, I stopped in at Jensens (I learnd it was called 'J-Mart' on the board.. lol) and saw that they offered the CCW class. I have read that many of you DONT like the service there, so I dont think I will patronise them. Can you guys reccomened a good CCW class to take that may cover MORE than just the basics to get the CCW. I am looking for info regarding criminal/civil troubles if having to draw down on someone in self defense. Coming from a state that absolutly hates firearms (no, Im NOT a democrat.. lol), It'll be nice to actually be able to own mine and not be in constant fear that they will be taken away.  Also, can you reccomend a good site to LEARN about the ar-15 series rifles? I have fired several AR's back home (LEO's), and would like to eventually own one. I'd like to know what the different 'versions' and options of the rifle entails before I go out and buy one.

How are the gun shows in Tucson? I'm looking to pick up a S&W 457 at a good price. Is there usualy a good selection at the shows or is it more along the lines of magazines and ammo?

Thanks for ANY help/advice in advance guys!
Brett

I haven't checked it out yet, but word on the street is that ar15.com is the place to go for web related learning pertaining to the AR-15 series of rifles.

Welcome to Tucson and welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#11]
also check out Charles Heller, he has a radio talk show on KVOI 690 on Sundays at noon, deals mostly with gun rights, freedom & liberty , he also has a "Swap Shop" prior to that show
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Brett

When you have the time Im me and I"ll meet you at the starbucks on the southeast corner of Swan and sunrise for a cup of  joe and talk about evil guns

Neanderthal

I'd be happy to link up with y'all as well. IM or e-mail me!

Wes
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Brett

Neanderthal

I'd be happy to link up with y'all as well. IM or e-mail me!

Wes

Wes

Let me know where and what time. I plan on a sunday morning ride.

Neanderthal

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
does Jenson's still do the pin shoots I havent been theres in over a year.

Wouldnt buy a gun from them but man those pin shoots were fun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#15]
No, Jensens stopped having any kind of matches some time back.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]

I only go to the Tucson shows at the fairgrounds which is off of Houghton if you go out there the new range is supposed to be open I guess between Rita Rd and Houghton. I live on Rita and haven't been over there yet.
I stopped at the new range a few weeks ago before they opened. Looks nice: 50 yd., and 200 yd. backstops, but NO HUMAN SHAPED TARGETS
(go figure, sharon bronson is on the board)! I was told the place is going to be huge, but they're already having problems w/ the dirtbike track across the way. To get there, take Houghton to Brekke Rd., right, to Harrison, and right, on Harrison, you can't miss it. If you guys are going to get a shoot together, keep me in mind!

Mike

ps. Butch from Jensens is like the #2 man there, he's no longer w/Jensens.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
No human shaped targets?? Thats almost as lame as not being able to shoot from a holster out here...her
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Stopped in at D-Back this weekend to pick up the AZ gun owners guide by Korwin (thanks for THAT reccomendation too!). Nice place, nice guys.

.. Now just need to choose a CCW weapon, and pick up a plain-jane AR-15, and I can call myself a true gun owner eh?  Har Har
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top