Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2007 4:53:17 AM EDT
   Hey Guys, I will be fabricating a new set of targets in the near future.
The first target is a "gong" style with modular base and 3/8" AR plate.This plate is attached to the cross bar with rubber belting to eliminate shock.The modular base breaks down into three pieces for easy storage.The second target will be a "torso" type wth tripod or modular base. It will be fabricated from 1/4" AR plate. The "gong" target was designed for rifles and the "torso" was designed for pistols.

Several prototypes have been in use with good results. Bookhound is currently using
a "gong" target and it has received positive reviews. I wanted to announce this here,
in order to receive feedback from the community. I am trying to gauge demand and
need for the targets. The price point will be around $150 each. This is not set in stone.
So, What do you think? Any feedback is appreciated.

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/Cheapjeep/th_P7190007.jpg

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/Cheapjeep/th_P9070001.jpg

Link Posted: 9/8/2007 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO $150 is a bit pricey. They DO look nice tho!

Just my 2 pennies...
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The price is not firm yet. I am still working with the steel supplier.
Thanks for the comment. Please feel free to post ,
I would like to hear the feedback. Good or bad.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you going to have these at the Silencer Shoot to try out?
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The torso one looks nice, personally I prefer a round gong over a square one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Being that I used to own a steel fab shop, I can say that the price is fair. I'd like to see the average joe try to cut a 1/4 steel plate in ANY shape in less than an hour. Steel prices have soared through the roof over the last four years on top of that. I'm sure that the PLASMA that you used cut those with could pay my truck off.

Just because it's only $50.00 in materials doesn't mean that there isn't two to three man hours in the project.
Good job on the targets, if I have any money left after I finish paying our local crack dealer (Mark) I may pick one up from you.

Link Posted: 9/8/2007 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#6]
What's the dimensions of these targets? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys , Thanks for the comments. The plasma was expensive, but it makes the job easier. The price of steel has gone through the roof rececntly. I am still working with the supplier to get the best price. So, the initial price that I posted might come down.
I will have a few of the targets at the ST shoot. Hopefully , I will have several completed by then.  The main reason I posted was to measure interest, in order to move forward with the project. The demo targets have performed well. The dimensions on the gong are 12" wide x 15" long. The extra length is there to protect the cross bar. The dimensions on the torso are 14" wide x 24" long.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the reply on the sizes.  I would be interested in rifle caliber rated target.  The $150 is acceptable to me, of course if you lower the price, it's even better. :)
Keep us informed when they go into production.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Roger, will do and thank you for the comments..
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
 Have you weighed the total package?  Going down range with a 30lb load is not too bad, but a 80 lb load would be a pain.

Overall the design seems well thought out.  I would be interested.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 Have you weighed the total package?  Going down range with a 30lb load is not too bad, but a 80 lb load would be a pain.

Overall the design seems well thought out.  I would be interested.

Especially if it is a 300 yard, no vehicles allowed range.  I might be interested in one.  After looking at other manufacturers targets, I think your prices are fair, but hey, who wouldn't want to pay less.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
tok, The weight of the target with stand is between 35 and 40 lbs. Sorry I can't be more exact. My scale is flaking out. Essentially, you pull two hitch pins and remove the legs and then the crossbar. The whole thing will fold flat. The legs are rigid and they are spaced at two feet apart. I have thought about making the legs collapsible, but I wanted to keep the design simple and rugged. Every part on the target and stand is modular, so if one piece becomes damaged , only that part has to be replaced.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Bear in mind that when I suggested it might be a bit pricey, I am an FFL dealer/pawnbroker/cheapskate....(but at least I'm honest)  have
I have been thinking about them tho, and was wondering if they had, or could have a handle for carrying 'round the range. The square one in particular, screams for a handle in the center on top (that could be hinged down to the backside to protect it from munitions) or even just a 2"x5" cutout at the top, for your hand to fit thru and snatch it up with....

Just a thought, and its worth exactly what ya paid for it.....  hem

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
That is a great suggestion. I thought about it when I built the first prototype. The handle slid over the crossbar and would pivot to the rear when not in use. It was a little awkward to "thread" the crossbar through the handle and target, but it worked great. Although, this added another separate piece to the equation. The target will carry easily with two hands. I was searching for a bag or strap to secure the pieces when disassembled. As of now, you carry the plate in one hand and the crossbar and legs in the other hand. The carry handle can be an option. Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#15]
your targets look great!  i am wondering how many 308 and 223 rounds you can expect the gong to be able to take.  i really dont have any idea about steel target lifespan. hopefully many!  thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know what the lifespan would be. It should be greater than a static target.
Most of the impact force is absorbed through the swinging motion.
The rubber belting will also isolate the plate from shock. So, this will add to it's lifespan.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Well this thread has piqued my interest.  It's funny.  I asked my dad back home to pick me up some tie plates left over at the mill for a "redneck" gong.

Oh and tag...
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I wanted to update this thread. I have changed a few items on the design.
The gong target will now be offered with a choice of the rigid legs or the totally modular 3/4" round bar legs. The legs and crossbar will be secured in the brackets with hitch pins. This will allow the replacement of each individual piece if needed.
This will also collapse into a smaller package. The handle was also added back to the design. It will pivot to the rear, when not in use.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/Cheapjeep/P9140003.jpg
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey guys, I received more plates today. The spring actuated targets are almost ready.
I also got the website up. www.tactargets.com/
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#21]
You need to figure a way to get the price down a little. I can get spinner targets from midway for $99-$130 that are rated for 9mm-30.06. I think if you can engineer then to $100-$125 you'll be doing well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#22]
What size is the target plate? I have checked most target suppliers and the prices are in line with them for the same size plate. Plus, I include a stand with all of the targets. I would like to lower prices,but the AR500 plate is very expensive. If I can find a way to get it cheaper, I will and pass the savings on to the buyer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Keep us posted on the spring loaded design, that looks interesting...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Keep us posted on the spring loaded design, that looks interesting...

BTW, I saw those things getting hammered at the silencer shoot and still looking good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I will try to keep the thread up to date. The spring targets are fun. The pistol version will lay down flat when hit with 9mm or greater. I tested the prototype with the .223 at 100 yards and it worked well. But due to the 1/4", it will be pistol only. The rifle version will be 3/8". I am unsure of what size the rifle version needs to be. So, I am looking fo input on that. I hope to offer the pistol version in the $75 range. I received my latest material bill and I should be able to lower costs on most of the targets.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I have bought the steel targets from Midway and they are now in the scrap heap at my county dump. They did not hold up...................125. bucks down the drain.

I have since the last Silencer Match the Maddox targets in this thread, I have hit them with 9mm and 45acp SMG and pistol as well as .223 at distance and I expect these will last for a long long time.

John does great work.

FALCON 1

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#27]
That's disappointing to hear. I have two and they've held up so far...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Prices seem reasonable, I am hard on steel so I will test it to the limits
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks K9, I test every batch of plate that we receive. If it does not stand up to our tests it will not go out. I also require certification of the plates we receive. The tests are conducted on the range at different intervals. If the plate experiences abnormal damage or cratering it fails. I will not let inferior plate fall into the hands of customers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top