Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 5:41:22 PM EDT
Hello.  I am a CSM student (big shocker), and we are starting a shooting club for the students run by the students.  We have alot of work to do to get this thing up and running.  You guys could be a help for me and the CSM Shooters.  

For those of you who do not know about us, we are an ex military school, way back, we were called the West Point of the West.  We are pretty nerdy and proud of it, very studious, very hardworking, and have  absolutely no infastructure or local connections for shooting.  Compared to most schools nowadays, we are pretty conservative, we have only had a Democratic club since Bush's first term , and we will get jobs from Shell Oil, Chevron, Exxon, Locheed Martin, Lone Star Steel, and in hard/soft rock mines around the world, needless to say, we arent treehuggers.  

We don't know what we really need, as the club has just started, but if we could get some local support that would be great.

What we might need.

Not everybody here has their hunters safety, are any of you guys NRA certified instructors and willing to be involved with a one-time certification/safety class?  We can pay you.  

What ranges are there in the Denver, Golden, Evergreen... area?  CSM is in Golden, but most of us arent from this area.  I grew up shooting on the family farm near Windsor, so that "firing line" and "range rules" are new to me.  I always used the Weld County Ditch as a backstop, I don't currently have a gun that will shoot through 25-40ft of sand.

We are also thinking Nat'l Forest, as it is Cheap and we can shoot pistol, rifle, shotgun at the same spot.  Any ideas?  IM me for this one.  

Thanks in advance!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I am helping with a similar club at a Colorado Mountain College campus.  So far we offer a Hunter's Ed course, NRA certified instructor for NRA courses and safe off-campus storage for student firearms.

Here is what I would suggest.

Recruit your sponsor.  Find out what the school regs are.  Canvas potential members for their interests.  EBR? smallbore? ipsc idpa? cowboy? highpower? longrange/f-class? bullseye? hunting? plinking?

Any club that can provide a competition team has a higher chance of approval.

Lay the proper groundwork and everything else will fall into place.

Let me know if I can help.

SRM

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am helping with a similar club at a Colorado Mountain College campus.  So far we offer a Hunter's Ed course, NRA certified instructor for NRA courses and safe off-campus storage for student firearms.

Here is what I would suggest.

Recruit your sponsor.  Find out what the school regs are.  Canvas potential members for their interests.  EBR? smallbore? ipsc idpa? cowboy? highpower? longrange/f-class? bullseye? hunting? plinking?

Any club that can provide a competition team has a higher chance of approval.

Lay the proper groundwork and everything else will fall into place.

Let me know if I can help.

SRM

We are a Special Interest Club, we can have intercollegeate/public competitions, but dont have to.  

Gun types are everywhere from Blackpowder pistol to .300 win mag.  

Really what we want to do is to get some funding away from the hippie clubs and lower our range/ammo fees with a Group Buy.    We just want to go shooting.  Competitions would be fun, but in this stage of our orginization, we can't commit to something like that yet.  

What does your NRA instructor cost?  Where could a class be set up?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi,

First, NICE GOING!! and Congrats.

Second, regarding NRA instructors and ranges.  I am an NRA Certified Pistol instructor living in Evergree and use the range in Dumont (just west of Idaho Springs) for my range classes.  Would be glad to discuss my qualifications with you... former HS teacher and coach, NRA instructor for 3 yrs, over 100 students, etc.  If you wish to continue discussions please email me at [email protected]

Third, regardless..GOOD LUCK!!

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
email sent to the CSM Shooting Club "leader." I will let you know what he says.  It probably wouldn't be for a couple of weeks FYI.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll ask what he is willing to teach, the cost and where.  Any interest in a hunter ed course?

Competition isn't for everyone but can teach some valuable skills.  Nothing quite like taking an A2 AR, laying down and firing a shot at a target 600 yards away and watching it fall.......unless you are doing the same thing at 1000 yds.

SRM
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for not getting back to you guys...  The guy heading up the club is an idiot.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Well.  So much for that.  Sorry guys.  The shooting club was canned this evening at 5:00.  

damn underclassmen
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
That sucks.

Bring your AR to the HP rifle match in Boulder Sat.......or your handgun to the pistol match.

SRM
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That sucks.

Bring your AR to the HP rifle match in Boulder Sat.......or your handgun to the pistol match.

SRM

I don't have time, the club would have been a big help for me as it would have opened up local ranges to me for less money(aka: Group Buy).    

Oh well.    

Moral of the story: Never trust an underclassman, they are flaky and inexperienced.  Only seniors are trustworthy.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top