Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 6:10:37 AM EDT
OK OK OK (NEWBIE TO THIS PLACE)h.gif I am still trying to get the hang of this site and how it works so bare with my learning curve!

As I posted in general (with a few sarcastic replys), I am left handed and looking at getting an AR10 because I want to hunt with semiauto for a change and don't want to shoot right handed BAR or Remm etc because thats my choice. Have never shot an AR of any kind but have been looking at the Armalite AR-10A4 carbine because I want a scope mount. collapsable stock but would get a 20" barrell I will be using this for Deer hunting mostly and am looking for any advise on this gun. I know this is a right hand eject but have been told that will not hinder my shooting because of deflector for shells. Any ideas?

Feel free to mock my lack of expertise, been shootin for 25 years, just starting to really enjoy the hobby and seek knowledge!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It pretty much sounds like your know what you want. The Brass deflector will take care of your left handing shooting needs. The Flat top is a good choice as it gives you the best of both worlds as far as using the Irons or swapping them out for the scope of your choice.  Only draw backs i see is that that the controls are not ambidextrous (Safety,Mag release). I'm not sure if any one makes a Ambi safety for the Armalite.308's. I would look at that first. other then that...

Go for it, and then get back here and post pics.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, those are a few thing I didn't think of.  Realistically the gun comes with a 10 and 20 round mag. and with the mag release I don't really need to change fast as far as I can see so that is a drawback I can work around if there is no ambi mag release.  But the Safety is a big concern!  Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks, those are a few thing I didn't think of.  Realistically the gun comes with a 10 and 20 round mag. and with the mag release I don't really need to change fast as far as I can see so that is a drawback I can work around if there is no ambi mag release.  But the Safety is a big concern!  Thanks for your input!

I am a correct handed person as well. I do not feel that the mag release in an issue for me at all. My thumb works the mag release quite easily. As for the safety, just get the abidextrus safety for it. Then you actually have a lever on both the left and right side.
DPMS has them as well a Bushmaster. Someone will have to correct me if I am wrong but I think the AR-10 and the AR-15 use the same fire control group.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK OK OK (NEWBIE TO THIS PLACE) I am still trying to get the hang of this site and how it works so bare with my learning curve!

As I posted in general (with a few sarcastic replys), I am left handed and looking at getting an AR10 because I want to hunt with semiauto for a change and don't want to shoot right handed BAR or Remm etc because thats my choice. Have never shot an AR of any kind but have been looking at the Armalite AR-10A4 carbine because I want a scope mount. collapsable stock but would get a 20" barrell I will be using this for Deer hunting mostly and am looking for any advise on this gun. I know this is a right hand eject but have been told that will not hinder my shooting because of deflector for shells. Any ideas?

Feel free to mock my lack of expertise, been shootin for 25 years, just starting to really enjoy the hobby and seek knowledge!

Wel if you can go 223 check out link

www.stagarms.com/leftyrifles.html
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK OK OK (NEWBIE TO THIS PLACE) I am still trying to get the hang of this site and how it works so bare with my learning curve!

Wel if you can go 223 check out link

www.stagarms.com/leftyrifles.html

I thought about one of those at one point. Good idea for the lefty, however if the SHTF and you need to rely on the gun long term replacement parts will be expensive and hard to find. Going with standard wrong handed version at least, there will be an abundance of parts available. I do like the idea of companies finally realizing that there are lefties out there that would like a left handed weapon that does not cost an arm and a leg.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Few problems with stag, 1st and foremost  I am looking for a .308 and theirs are 5.56.  Now I do understand  I may be able to buy upper halves to accomodate etc.  But don't want to do so.  Also as someone else said I would be happy with a well established product that I know I can find replacement parts, service, tips etc easily for.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, a big drawback to buying a lefty rifle is, when you have a SHTF situation, where are you gonna get a supply of left handed ammo??
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Either the AR10 or the DPMS version should suit your needs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yuck, come on man how couldyou include that. Kabooms has been nothing but problems. I'd stay away from the DPMS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yuck, come on man how couldyou include that. Kabooms has been nothing but problems. I'd stay away from the DPMS.

was there two of them that where bad?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

was there two of them that where bad?

I think yer right I think LK was having problems with his too. I know Kabooms wasn't running the other day when we were at the club and thats not the first time it's happened either. Another short stroking issue and even not picking up the next round in the mag.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#12]
If LK is the same L that I'm thinking of, we remedied his problem at one of the BR/NFA shoots.  Didn't know R got one.  Anyhow, try lubing the buffer spring and buffer liberally.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Does the AR10 have the same charging handle as a AR15????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top