Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 8:52:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 9:21:49 AM EDT by kythri]
So, I changed addresses recently (09/01/05), and received my updated Concealed Handgun License from Linn County, which came with a brochure that mentions another area that an OAR prohibits firearms:

Oregon Administrative Rule 629-025-0050

(1) State forest lands designated by the Forester as "Designated Recreation Areas" may include, but are not limited to campgrounds, camping areas, day use areas, trailheads, staging areas, and boat launch sites. Maps showing the Designated Recreation Areas shall be kept on file at the State Forester's office and the applicable District office, and shall be available for public inspection during normal business hours.

(2) General Forest Recreation Rules as outlined in OAR 629-025-0040 shall be applicable to Designated Recreation Areas. In addition to those rules, the following rules shall apply:

(5) Firearms, Weapons, Explosives: Within a designated recreation area no person shall:

(b) Discharge any firearm, pellet gun, bow and arrow, slingshot or other weapon capable of injuring any person, bird, or animal;

(c) Possess any loaded firearms; or

(d) Discharge or cause to be discharged any firecrackers, explosives, torpedoes, rockets, fireworks, or other substances which could be harmful to visitors or resources without written permission of the Forester.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 530.050
Stats. Implemented: ORS 530.010 - ORS 530.040
Hist.: FB 3-1995, f. & cert. ef. 9-15-95

Nothing in ORS 530.050 explicitly grants the State Board of Forestry to regulate firearms or ammunition. In fact, section (11) of the ORS reads:

(11) Do all things and make all rules, not inconsistent with law, necessary or convenient for the management, protection, utilization and conservation of the lands.

A rule prohibiting CHL holders from carrying loaded firearms WOULD be inconsistent with law, pure and simple.

You gotta love our state bureaucrats!

(I've updated my list of OAR's at www.kythri.net/oar.html)

(ETA: fixed, thanks to geerhed)
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:30:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:06:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kythri:

(1) State forest lands designated by the Forester as "Designated Recreation Areas" may include, but are not limited to campgrounds, camping areas, day use areas, trailheads, staging areas, and boat launch sites. Maps showing the Designated Recreation Areas shall be kept on file at the State Forester's office and the applicable District office, and shall be available for public inspection during normal business hours.

(2) General Forest Recreation Rules as outlined in OAR 629-025-0040 shall be applicable to Designated Recreation Areas. In addition to those rules, the following rules shall apply:

(3) Occupancy and Use:
(5) Firearms, Weapons, Explosives: Within a designated recreation area no person shall:

(d) Discharge or cause to be discharged any firecrackers, explosives, torpedoes, rockets, fireworks, or other substances which could be harmful to visitors or resources without written permission of the Forester.

Stat. Auth.: ORS 530.050
Stats. Implemented: ORS 530.010 - ORS 530.040
Hist.: FB 3-1995, f. & cert. ef. 9-15-95

Nothing in ORS 530.050 explicitly grants the State Board of Forestry to regulate firearms or ammunition. In fact, section (11) of the ORS reads:

(11) Do all things and make all rules, not inconsistent with law, necessary or convenient for the management, protection, utilization and conservation of the lands.

A rule prohibiting CHL holders from carrying loaded firearms WOULD be inconsistent with law, pure and simple.

You gotta love our state bureaucrats!

(I've updated my list of OAR's at www.kythri.net/oar.html)

fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:19:10 AM EDT
Thank you!

I've fixed it above, and on my webpage.

I cut and pasted too quickly, or not enough, or something.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:49:34 AM EDT
Man that really irks me. Stinking state. Anyone know where we can get a boat load of tea floating in the Willamette?

Patty
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:00:55 PM EDT
Don't you just feel that much safer camping w/ this law?

I don't suppose that the couple that were killed, at a campground like what's being referred to IIRC, a little while ago would feel better now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:28:42 PM EDT
What gun?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:05:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushwacker85:
What gun?

Bingo.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:19:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 3:19:38 PM EDT by -RotorDemon-]
How do you discharge an arrow? (Yeah yeah I know)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:45:36 PM EDT
I think they will be outlawing sticks at Crater Lake soon..... I believe any and all people with sticks need to be trained and licensed in the future. It is for our own safety!

Where you goin with that stick boy!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:51:22 PM EDT
"The ranger said, ‘Do you want to go to jail?' and his response was, ‘Do you want to die?'' Hughes said.

I'd take that as a no?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:40:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
Man that really irks me. Stinking state. Anyone know where we can get a boat load of tea floating in the Willamette?

Patty

Sheeeeeeiiiit...a drum of depleted uranium would float on the Willamette...

Hey, where does standard open-carry fall in this?

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:17:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 7:19:49 PM EDT by spambo]

What the hell is a Designated Recreation Area? I've never heard of any. The PIT at Browns
Camp is on State Forestry Land, I believe.

What about hunting season? Weapons & Firearms? What's the difference? If I carry a gun
and a knife, do I break 2 rules or only 1?

(b) Discharge any firearm, pellet gun, bow and arrow, slingshot or other weapon capable of injuring any person, bird, or animal;

Oh Puulleeeeeez, I can see it now. Man cited for shooting a tweety bird with a slingshot.
According to ODFW, no hunting regulations exist for many birds and animals which means
no bag limits and no weapons restrictions. Yes, you can shoot that tweety bird with a .50
if you are outside the city limits.

Nothing like hunting season. Jee, do hunters possess loaded guns?

Oh Mr. Forrester, can I blow up things with Tannerite?

I wouldn't wory about any of this gawbage!

Spambo

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 7:30:53 PM EDT by Bushwacker85]

Originally Posted By spambo:

What the hell is a Designated Recreation Area? I've never heard of any. The PIT at Browns
Camp is on State Forestry Land, I believe.

What about hunting season? Weapons & Firearms? What's the difference? If I carry a gun
and a knife, do I break 2 rules or only 1?

(b) Discharge any firearm, pellet gun, bow and arrow, slingshot or other weapon capable of injuring any person, bird, or animal; [

Oh Puulleeeeeez, I can see it now. Man cited for shooting a tweety bird with a slingshot.
According to ODFW, no hunting regulations exist for many birds and animals which means
no bag limits and no weapons restrictions. Yes, you can shoot that tweety bird with a .50
if you are outside the city limits.

Nothing like hunting season. Jee, do hunters possess loaded guns?

Oh Mr. Forrester, can I blow up things with Tannerite?

I wouldn't wory about any of this gawbage!

Spambo

Yeah, seems like a set rules that no one really knows or cares about. Probably best just to ignore it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:55:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 8:00:03 PM EDT by kythri]

arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_600/OAR_629/629_025.html

629-025-0005

Definitions

As used in rules 629-025-0000 through 629-025-0070:

(7) "Designated Recreation Area" means an area designated by the Forester, including but not limited to, campgrounds, camping areas, day use areas, trailheads, staging areas, and boat launch sites.

So, basically, the most popular areas of a ton of different parks.

If this OAR were actually legal and able to be enforced, virtually everywhere at Foster Lake would be off-limits.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:48:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2005 9:50:17 AM EDT by Bend]
Not only is the above OAR contrary to the CHL ORS', it is also contrary to the Oregon BOR for open carry.

"27. Right to bear arms; military subordinate to civil power"

Someone could have alot of fun in court given they had the $$$ to play.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:53:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushwacker85:
What gun? hr

+1 What they don't know, can't hurt them hat
I've already run into a few crazies out on the river, who flashed pieces because they didn't want anyone else fishing in THEIR drift have
Since then, I don't go out to play without something along with me. Specially if I have family with me. Besides, where I go, I can't remember when the last time I saw a Range was. So how are they supposed to be making sure we're safe?
Top Top