Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2014 10:55:47 AM EDT
So I bought a new 5801 model Mini-14 because, well, it's what you're allowed to have now.  The fit and finish seem fine, and it came with two 5 round magazines, rings and a rail.

Today I took it to a 30 yard indoor range to try it out, and put 60 rounds of PPU 55 gr softpoint through it.  My initial impression is not favorable.  I had one FTF where I pulled the trigger and just heard click.  When I racked the bolt the round ejected from the chamber with no apparent strike from the firing pin.  Mysterious and disturbing.

I also had about 6 FTE, where the spent round appeared still held by the bolt.  Best I can tell, it looks as if the bolt did not go far enough back and therefore did not kick out the brass before starting forward again.  Each FTE was exactly the same, and when I racked the bolt the spent brass ejected and the next round fed fine.  I don't know if I need to break it in a little, or give it a good cleaning and lubrication.  In defense of the rifle, I did not strip it all down and lube it, but just inspected it, because it looked well lubed.  Hopefully I'll get this worked out, because the Mini is supposed to be reliable and one FTE per magazine is pretty bad.  I used Ruger magazines.

In terms of accuracy using the iron sights and a front rest, I got 20 shots to fit inside a 2 inch by 3 inch rectangle.  It would probably benefit from a heavier bullet, a scope and a better shooter, but ultimately it seems good enough for any actual tasks I'd use it for.

If anyone has an idea about the FTE issue, please let me know.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm actually in the same boat, I might buy one of these because, like you said, we can have them.

Most reviews I've read have been favorable, my cousin has one, a newer one, not sure of the exact year but I've shot it and it ran fine, even running steel ammo. I'm surprised to hear you had problems. Keep us updated though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The PPU ammo I have shot has been relatively very slow though a chronograph with weak recoil...

although I have not tried .223.

Try different ammo .

I have never had a FTE (that I recall) and have put quite a few rounds through quite a few mini-14s.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I need to try different ammo because if it is a little weak that could explain what I'm seeing.  This range require HP or SP ammo, which limits me a little.  Right now all I have is the PPU and some from Freedom Munitions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, I need to try different ammo because if it is a little weak that could explain what I'm seeing.  This range require HP or SP ammo, which limits me a little.  Right now all I have is the PPU and some from Freedom Munitions.
View Quote

Here's an example:  40 S&W...both 180gr...average of 10 shots 5 " barrel

...and Blazer ball  is totally representative of normal 180 gr. speeds.

Blazer Ball: 941 fps
PPU JHP: 803 fps

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that. My future plans include picking up a new ranch model.
You should wander over to the Mini14 forum at Perfect Union and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My biggest bitch, is the ones I've shot aren't real accurate.  No functioning problems though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which range was this at?

If Mitchell Field, they allow FMJ now :)
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you strip it down and get all the factory oil out of it?

Almost every new gun I have bought has come marinated in heavy oil from the factory, you need to strip them and clean it and then lube like the manual says.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Which range was this at?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which range was this at?

I was thinking this^^^^^
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was thinking this^^^^^
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which range was this at?

I was thinking this^^^^^

Really?  When did they do that?  So when I stocked up I didn't need to bother with the HP/SP?!
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Mini 14 when I thought I might stay in NY. From my small FFL it took 8 months and was way too expensive.

Tech Sights helped quite a bit with dialing in the irons. The 5 round mags suck, too difficult to get out of the mag well. The 10 rounders I have are not terrible, I'll have to check on the brand. I'm going to keep the thing though because I can put a folder on it and chop the barrel down to 14.?" with a pinned brake on it when I get down South. A perfect truck gun.

For the price, if I had to do a behind enemy lines rifle I would go with a .223 Saiga. The reason? It's only a matter of time before the Tyrants move the goal posts....
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought a Mini 14 when I thought I might stay in NY. From my small FFL it took 8 months and was way too expensive.

Tech Sights helped quite a bit with dialing in the irons. The 5 round mags suck, too difficult to get out of the mag well. The 10 rounders I have are not terrible, I'll have to check on the brand. I'm going to keep the thing though because I can put a folder on it and chop the barrel down to 14.?" with a pinned brake on it when I get down South. A perfect truck gun.

For the price, if I had to do a behind enemy lines rifle I would go with a .223 Saiga. The reason? It's only a matter of time before the Tyrants move the goal posts....
View Quote

I have been looking for either lately. Found a few older Mini's, but I have heard bad things about accuracy out them.

A saiga would be cool, but they are like hens teeth right now it seems like, at least one in .223
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
It was Mitchell Field, and I had no idea they allowed FMJ.  Good news I suppose, though I wasted money on SP ammo.

I did not strip it first, and plan to do that before I go again.  I was lazy and things looked and seemed lubed; maybe that stuff is too thick.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 2:44:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It was Mitchell Field, and I had no idea they allowed FMJ.  Good news I suppose, though I wasted money on SP ammo.

I did not strip it first, and plan to do that before I go again.  I was lazy and things looked and seemed lubed; maybe that stuff is too thick.
View Quote

yeah it was very recent, around november/december I believe.  DodgeRam was the one who told me (he works there for those who don't know :) )
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't owned one for about ten years, but the last one was a stainless Ranch Rifle: I had zero problems with it....never really grouped it except to zero the scope; Head shot two deer at 150yds, dispatched a few critters, sold it to a friend who never complained about it.  

I think they can be hit or miss; the Mini lacks the barrel diameter and obviously has a different lock up; many sporting/hunting rifles are good for 2-3-4 shots then start to give flyers.
If the mini holds true to its M1A/Garand roots then the firing pin is blocked and cannot strike the firing pin unless fully closed; I won't get into the coated steel case argument, but non-Combloc weapons function better with Brass cased ammo.  YMMV  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#18]
My mini is from the 1980's.  Its not my favorite firearm, but mine works well and even feeds cheap Tula ammo fine.

Magazines, and accuracy are its weak point, but I don't think of it as a precision rifle.  Its designed to compete with other similar rifles (early AR15 s and AKs ) niether of those are considered very precise shooters either.

Ruger usually does a good job of standing behind its products, if its defective, they will usually fix it.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the Mini's  they are NY compliant however
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I just bought a Mini-30 last year at Ed's Sport Shop in Tamaqua, PA.  Couldn't sell me the mags with it (20rd) so I picked up 1 5 round ruger, and 8 10 round promags.  I've been shooting cheap Tula thru it, and it goes bang every time the firing pin hits the primer.  But, with the promags, it has had a couple feed issues.  The 5 round ruger mag works perfect.

You can still buy ARs in NY, so you still have that option.  It's just gonna have a different stock/grip and no muzzle device.  Another option is a Saiga rifle in your favorite caliber.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#20]
This thread has motivated me to email Benelli and ask if they will be producing any more MR1's.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This thread has motivated me to email Benelli and ask if they will be producing any more MR1's.
View Quote

Are those NY compliant?  At a glance it wouldn't seem so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:21:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are, monte carlo stock and non-threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make or made several variants of it. The one in the middle would be GTG.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I haven't owned one for about ten years, but the last one was a stainless Ranch Rifle: I had zero problems with it....never really grouped it except to zero the scope; Head shot two deer at 150yds, dispatched a few critters, sold it to a friend who never complained about it.  

I think they can be hit or miss; the Mini lacks the barrel diameter and obviously has a different lock up; many sporting/hunting rifles are good for 2-3-4 shots then start to give flyers.
If the mini holds true to its M1A/Garand roots then the firing pin is blocked and cannot strike the firing pin unless fully closed; I won't get into the coated steel case argument, but non-Combloc weapons function better with Brass cased ammo.  YMMV  
View Quote

Mine ripped through a couple ten round mags of steel cased at the range rapid fire with no issues. Not sure how it would be with hundreds of rounds, but 20 it didn't miss a beat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#25]
A compliant Benelli MR1 is on GB right now, but with a buy it now price of $1,649, it's a pricey item.  I think that's more than MSRP was when they were being sold at retail
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd like to try out a Keltec SU16CA.  Looks friendly enough.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Until they declare the folding bipod a "foreward grip"
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Dual aperture rear sights will be next.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/media/article/image/cache/414-355-SU16CA-right-3059.png

View Quote

I looked pretty hard at them, they cost way too much for what you get.

For what they are charging you should a least get a metal receiver, there are also instances of the back of the receiver breaking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

For what they are charging you should a least get a metal receiver, there are also instances of the back of the receiver breaking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/media/article/image/cache/414-355-SU16CA-right-3059.png

Yea, I'll just stick with non-ugly ARs and stuff.  I should get my CnR and stock up on mosins.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yea, I'll just stick with non-ugly ARs and stuff.  I should get my CnR and stock up on mosins.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FR-8... Trust me
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You mean the 308 bolt gun?
View Quote

Yup... Compact, rugged, kickass... Literally
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Did you get your hands on a Mini yet Aimless?

I have been hemming and hawing over them all week. Time at home when its cold out and a credit card in my hand do not make a good combo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No.    

Is it time? I think it is time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you get your hands on a Mini yet Aimless?

I have been hemming and hawing over them all week. Time at home when its cold out and a credit card in my hand do not make a good combo.
No.    

Is it time? I think it is time.

I think it's time. I have ammo cans of load ammo and nothing to shoot it out of currently. It's annoying.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought a ruger scout. Is am older Spanish .mil rifle tougher than a new commercial Ruger?  

Damned if I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a ruger scout. Is am older Spanish .mil rifle tougher than a new commercial Ruger?  

Damned if I know.

The FR-8 looks like an old fudd gun. Lots of wood, irons, wouldn't raise an eyebrow. There really aren't many semi .308 options that are affordable. But a compact Mauser actioned .308 with CETME sights, yeah I like it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The FR-8 looks like an old fudd gun. Lots of wood, irons, wouldn't raise an eyebrow. There really aren't many semi .308 options that are affordable. But a compact Mauser actioned .308 with CETME sights, yeah I like it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damned if I know.

I  can't  speak  personally ,but over in    C&R     the  consensus  is  that  they  suck . I'm  not   sure  why . Maybe  because  they're  a  bit  small  w/  a  steel
buttplate  and  not-so-fun  in  the  kick  dept. ?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Okay I'll track one down.  
View Quote

I think if the temperature ever gets above 10 again I am just going to spend the day with my daughter driving around until we find one.

It will be a fun road trip.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I  can't  speak  personally ,but over in    C&R     the  consensus  is  that  they  suck . I'm  not   sure  why . Maybe  because  they're  a  bit  small  w/  a  steel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damned if I know.

That is my take as well. For a rifle that sucks, they sure seem to be sought after and go for a decent buck these days. I'm a big guy, the recoil doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#44]
I suppose I should get a 14 to match the Thirty.  They'd keep each other company.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

A friend of mine bought one back in the 1990s and it came with a SHITLOAD of ammo.  We had a lot of fun with it.  Spanish Mausers(and other guns) are kind of considered lame in general for some reason. The FR8 is strange and cool.  Rear sight is neat.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A friend of mine bought one back in the 1990s and it came with a SHITLOAD of ammo.  We had a lot of fun with it.  Spanish Mausers(and other guns) are kind of considered lame in general for some reason. The FR8 is strange and cool.  Rear sight is neat.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/1791/fr8wheel.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/1791/fr8wheel.jpg

It's so simple, I like it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, I bought a stainless one out of the EE today.

I'll see how it shoots compared to the AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top