Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 11:33:15 PM EDT
We moved here a couple of months ago from Naval Station Great Lakes and I cannot find a decent job to save my life. Does anyone out there have any good leads?

I was a Gunners Mate in the Navy, have a BS in Aviation Management, and several years of various management/teaching experience. I know this is probably not the place to post this, but I am just frustrated and thought I would throw it out there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
This is extactly the place to post this...You'll be surprised at the resources and willingness to help a fellow brother out of people on this board...Alas I myself cannot help as im a little out of your area,..Stay strong.........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Ever considered selling cars?  Before you laugh, the income ranges from a low of $40K to a high well over $100K.  The hours suck and if you don't have the knack for it, you'll loose your shorts.  If you are interested, I can give you the name of a guy down at the Beach at a Toyota dealership.  He is retired military and I'm sure he'd be glad to give you good advise for that market.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome! For the time being, go see the Sheriff's Office? Check out both Va. Beach and Chesapeake. There's alot of retired Military in both.

Mark
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I'm in the area but unfortunately those aren't my specialties. I concur that there are plenty of jobs arounf the Tidewater area. Sherrifs depts, Lowes, Home Depot, Construction, hell check to se in N.O.B. or Oceana need civilians, both handle aircraft. HTH
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Update:
Thanks for all of the beneficial suggestions and support. I have submitted over 300 resumes for civil service employment (I have 6 years experience in CS) and 100 resumes for private sector employment since my wife and I arrived here in August and am either overqualified for the positions I am willing to take or not specialized enough for the jobs that I would really enjoy. I have never had this much trouble finding a job before.

There does appear to be an adequate number of jobs advertised in the paper and on the web, but I guess I just have to keep pushing ahead and hope for the best. I have recently been able to work part-time as an armed security officer/emergency services and police dispatcher (2 days per week) at one of the local Naval Bases, so at least I have that for now. Thanks again.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]
stay strong my friend.  if u work in porthmouth as security guard, stay away from gate 15.  it is very close to all the strip club.  there was one right next to it a few year back that got closed down.  don't throw your money there like i did. :>)

best of luck man.  the econ is fucked.

u may want to apply for the norfolk naval in the human resource area.  i am sure they will help the brother out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top